What's new

Is "South Pacific" a Good Transfer? (2 Viewers)

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
While the use of colored filters will always be controversial, this is a musical I have always enjoyed. I never saw the stage play, so was introduced to the music by the movie. It's not perfect, but has a high nostalgia factor for me.

The disc completely flew under my radar when released and as a fan I am thinking of picking this one up. The Kauai locations are great, the music unsurpassed, and if the transfer is truly great then this will be a buy for me.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Robert Harris said:

The incredible team of Rogers and Hammerstein were all about quality.

And that constant search for best in all matters inclusive of technical, when it came to bringing their works to motion picture theaters, have returned again and again to create problems half a century later.

Testing the limits of the motion picture via 55mm / 8 perf, as well as 65 / 5 perf at 30fps, has affected the ability to properly reproduce some of the best of their work.

South Pacific was fortunately shot on 65/5 at 24fps, and derived from what appears to be a wet gate interpositive, this new Blu-ray has everything going for it and very, very little in the negative column.

Digitally corrected for color and contrast, South Pacific looks as a 65/5 production should -- crisp, with high resolution; a minimum of grain; no noise, and generally superb visual as well as aural reproduction.

The only negatives here -- as far as I know, the film has not been restored -- are occasional registration problems on opticals and dupes, which could have been corrected, but do little to damage an otherwise superb transition to Blu-ray.

I've seen this mentioned on line as a potential "Best of the Year," (we're only in March) and while this is an interesting notion, what needs to be kept in mind, is that what we are seeing is the ability of the Blu-ray system to reproduce films as they are meant to be seen. When one goes to large format elements, the sky is the limit.

This gorgeous Blu-ray should be considered the norm for large format.

Highly Recommended.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Fully agree! An amazing transfer! If you liked SOUND OF MUSIC's transfer, you'll like SOUTH PACIFIC! Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
OMG, got this disc today and the transfer is amazing! I doubt I have seen a better-quality blu-ray, well, ever. While the print itself has one or two scratches in it, the detail on the disc just pops off the screen. Hard to believe the movie came out over 50 years ago and the blu-ray a couple of years ago. Rank this one up with How the West Was Won in the jaw-dropping category.

There were many times during the film when it felt like I was looking through a window rather than viewing a video. It's that good. People may have issues with the film itself, but no one should have a problem with the quality of this blu-ray.

While I realize the 65mm source allows for more detail, why can't more studios do this????????? This is reference material from the word go; just pick a spot and hit play, you can't go wrong. Time to delve into some of the supplementary stuff.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have always despised the color filters used during the musical numbers of the film (even when watching it projected on the big screen in a theater), but the Blu-ray transfer was the first time I found them palatable enough that they didn't spoil my enjoyment of the viewing experience..

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Scott: Thanks for the review. Yes, it is amazing. More impressive than most movies made in the last 30 years. The color filters are surreal, and maybe it would have been better without them. I don't know. But I actually kind of like the filters. It's different and experimental. Terrence Malick in a different way is experimental. I'm glad they only did this once, but I appreciate the people who stretch the bounds of cinema, even if it doesn't completely work.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
In that spirit, I have always liked the color filters -- and they have never looked better (or more integrated into the whole) than on the Blu-ray. One of the very very best.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I actually like the color filters for the most part. They do add to the musical mood (they were also used to cover up the bad weather during the shoot) and give a nice contrast to the blue skies and sand.

Yes, when films look this good on Blu-ray you would think studios would put more out. But the more popular/later titles weren't shot in 70MM. So we get the hits first even though many of them could never be demonstration quality based on the film stocks used

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by MattH.

I have always despised the color filters used during the musical numbers of the film (even when watching it projected on the big screen in a theater), but the Blu-ray transfer was the first time I found them palatable enough that they didn't spoil my enjoyment of the viewing experience..

I agree that on previous video versions, the filters completely ruined the experience and I still have doubts if it works or not. Even with blu-ray, there's detail lost with the filters, especially during the Bali Hai sequence and that awful purple/magenta that covers the frame. The gold and blue don't seem too bad, but are used far too much. In all though, I think the thing that bothers me the most (even though I still love the movie) is the blurring effect on the edges of the frame during some musical numbers. Kauai is so gorgeous (I've been to the filming locations twice) that there is absolutely no need for any of that.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I believe in using the filters Logan was attempting to replicate lighting effects that were used in the original Broadway presentation. If I recall correctly, he used to explain in interviews that in Hawaii he had no facilities to watch the dailies and had to ship the footage back to the studio on the mainland for review. Apparently fearing delays and cost overruns if scenes had to be reshot, the studio told him the filters looked fine. Logan was none too pleased when he finally saw the results himself, but could do nothing about it. Someone correct me if I'm not remembering this right. Regardless, I agree with Ben above regarding the attempt to do something different and Logan often tried to employ innovation in his films, though little of it ever succeeded from an aesthetic perspective. Still, at least he tried. Was it Samuel Beckett who said: "Try again. Fail again. Fail better." Sent from mobile via TapaTalk

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The studio also pumped up the color more than Logan had wanted, to correct the matter would have taken months and the film was already pre-sold on a reserve seat basis and so the studio could not delay it's opening

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
[COLOR= #800000]The King: Is a puzzlement[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #ff8c00]Anna: What is your majesty?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #800000]The King: Why we haven't been released on Blu-ray after all this time[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #800000][/COLOR]

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
[COLOR= #0000cd]Billy: What's use of wonderin' why we're not on blu-ray yet..action, they only buy action movies. I guess I didn't beat you enough[/COLOR]

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Professor Echo

I believe in using the filters Logan was attempting to replicate lighting effects that were used in the original Broadway presentation. If I recall correctly, he used to explain in interviews that in Hawaii he had no facilities to watch the dailies and had to ship the footage back to the studio on the mainland for review. Apparently fearing delays and cost overruns if scenes had to be reshot, the studio told him the filters looked fine. Logan was none too pleased when he finally saw the results himself, but could do nothing about it.

Someone correct me if I'm not remembering this right.

Regardless, I agree with Ben above regarding the attempt to do something different and Logan often tried to employ innovation in his films, though little of it ever succeeded from an aesthetic perspective. Still, at least he tried. Was it Samuel Beckett who said: "Try again. Fail again. Fail better."

Sent from mobile via TapaTalk

Glen you are absolutely correct. In Josh Logan's autobiography, he stated what you posted and said that Fox told him they could remove the color filters if need be. Of course this was a big fat lie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation730
Recent bookmarks