Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Interference and noise on my ONKYO speakers

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 costafinkel

costafinkel

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted May 21 2011 - 02:02 PM

Hi. I have an onkyo 5.1 home theater that I bought a little more than 1 year ago and has always worked perfectly.

I have it hooked on my PC thru a P2 auxiliar cable (yes, I know its ridiculous).

Last week, though, I was watching a movie and the surround right speaker went out and came back again. Then, 3 days ago, the same happened to the front right.

I unhooked and hooked all cables again and made sure everything was okay. Then, again, perfect sound, and when I thought everything was perfect, the center and front left speakers went out and back again, and gave some crackling noise. Then, they came back to normal as they are now.

I dont think the problem is with the auxiliar cable as I tested it on the TV. Or could it be? Or would the problem be on the speaker cables? (the blue,white,red,etc that came with the HT)

Thanx for the help, Gabriel.

#2 of 5 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,671 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted May 22 2011 - 01:58 AM

These types of problems are almost impossible to diagnose over the internet. We're pretty much just guessing.

Wires and cables generally don't cause many problems. The most common issues are loose connections, frayed speaker wires touching the receivers cabinet and in-correct hook-ups. Optical cables are delicate and can easily be broken as are hdmi cables.

Also, the wires and cables that come with most htib's are very cheap and shouldn't be used anyway. Either go to monoprice.com, Home Depot/Loews or the automotive section at Wamart and get some 16 gauge speaker wire.

Your problem sounds more like a hardware issue. Either there's a problem with the receiver or there's a loose wire inside a speaker. Too much deep bass, or distortion could have damaged one of the drivers. If the problem was with just one speaker then that's where I would guess the problem would be. But since it's happenning with more than one speaker then maybe it's the receiver/pc.

If there's a procedure to do a factory re-set on the receiver (see the manual) then you could try that. You could also double-check the cross-over setting. If it's too low it might be sending bass tones the speakers can't handle.

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 5 costafinkel

costafinkel

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted June 03 2011 - 03:28 PM

watchig a movie today I realized that whenever there was a high-sounding blow, or the volume raised, the speakers would give me noise.

#4 of 5 Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,790 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted June 06 2011 - 03:44 AM

As Gene said, there are so many possibilities, we can't really offer much meaningful help without some better troubleshooting at your end.

You haven't provided any specific model numbers of the hardware you're using.

What is a "P2 auxiliar" cable?  Is the PC the source?

My first thought is that the PC may be the problem.  Are you playing DVDs, Blu-Rays, or other digital media?  How are they encoded?  Can you vouch for the quality of the source?

So many factors come into play even before the signal reaches the receiver...

I would suggest taking the PC out of the equation and connecting a standalone DVD or Blu-Ray player to your system and play the same media that way.  Do the problems still occur?

This is basic troubleshooting 101 - you need to eliminate components to isolate the problem.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#5 of 5 costafinkel

costafinkel

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted June 12 2011 - 08:27 PM

Auxiliar cable with a 3.5mm connector at each extremity.

You know, the problem might be it. Its no the computer. I'm good buy a quality one and see if it works.. Do you guys recomend any brand? I'm thinking of going with KnuKonceptz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users