Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Help begin my Theatre Room Project

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   TrufflePig

TrufflePig

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted May 21 2011 - 01:47 PM

Hi Guys,

I have been given the okay from the boss to start the building of my project.

This is a 1-2 year project as I'll slowly be buying the pieces.

I am wondering if you had access to the following brands what would you pick for each:

Brands:

Harmon Kardon

Klipsch

Energy

Martin Logan

Pioneer

Monster Cable

Monster Power

Products:

Receiver:

Speakers

Front:

Center:

Rear:

Side:

Power Center:

Screen:

Projector: SONY? (unless you say a much better one)

I work at the electronics store so I am going to be saving HUGE and will be buy these piece by piece. So if you could pick what are some awesome options here for each.

Thanks guys.

Cheers

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted May 21 2011 - 04:39 PM

You're going to get so many different opinions, it will be ridiculous. You need to be much more specific in what you want, budget, etc. BUT you can definitely scratch Monster Cable/Power off the list(VERY overpriced).

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,734 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted May 22 2011 - 06:01 AM

Without specific model numbers, prices after discounts, and your budget/wants/needs this is pure generalizing.

I'd take Pioneer Elite (vsx-32 or higher) or the Pioneer 1120 over H/K, mostly for reliability reasons.

I'd also take Energy over Klipsch. Energy and Klipsch are about as far apart in sound as you can get.

I really don't have any experience with Martin Logan but they are certainly worth a look...or listen.

A Monster Cable surge protector is fine if your discount truly is HUGE.

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   TrufflePig

TrufflePig

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted May 22 2011 - 10:15 AM

Guys, my budget is between 15-20K.

My discounts are HUGE so go ahead and list away best models that will work for me.

I want a kick a$$ system.

Its going to be a full on room. Step up seating. Everything.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,734 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted May 22 2011 - 11:17 AM

Pioneer Elite SC-37 or H/K 7550 if they still cary it. If you really want to impress your friends then get the Elite SC-09. You did say your discount was HUGE. Pioneer Elite makes very good speakers but they are out of your price range (hard to believe, but they are). The ones at BestBuy are very good for a consumer level product but with your budget you can do better.

Look at the ML Motion series speakers and Dynamo 1000 subwoofer.

Also the Energy Veritas or Connoisseur series speakers. The Veritas are very, very good speakers. Get the biggest sub available, the ESW-M8. Paying internet direct for an SVS subwoofer will get you better performance though.

I don't really know that much about Klipsch speakers because I don't care for that bright of a sound, but you might like them so give them a listen.

Get the Pioneer Elite BDP-43FD BluRay player and DV-58av universal disc player.

That should leave you enough money for the projector, screen wires/cables, seating, popcorn machine, divorce lawyer and court costs.

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   TrufflePig

TrufflePig

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted May 23 2011 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for the advice and replies thus far.

Keep them coming if you can.

I'll price out the following recievers.

Receivers: Elite SC-09 or KS 7550

Power Center: Monster Power: MP HD IR 2550 and MP HDP 1800

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   TrufflePig

TrufflePig

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted May 27 2011 - 03:25 PM

So I can get the elite or the high end HK.

The high end HK, the 7550, I'd save over 1500 in buying it because of me working there.

As for cables, it is 50% + savings.

Any recommendations?

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,734 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted May 27 2011 - 04:01 PM

The SC-09 is a massive receiver with a huge "cool" factor Posted Image . But do you really need anything like that? If so then go ahead and get it. After all, somebody has to buy the silly things (I'd like to get a good used one off Audiogon in a few years Posted Image . The SC-37 would probably be more than enough.

I haven't had a newer H/K but I have had three older ones over the years (520, 435 and currently have a 7200) and they have all been fine receivers. Never had a problem with any of them. Lots of good clean power, easy to setup and operate and very nice sound. But there have been QC issues in the recent past. The 7550 is the best receiver they've had since the 7300.

Check the prices at Monoprice.com for cables and wires. Even with your discount I bet they're still cheaper than those Monster cables. Ac4l.com also has good prices on cables but their selection is limited. I do understand if you prefer to buy from your place of employment instead.