What's new

Help begin my Theatre Room Project (1 Viewer)

TrufflePig

Grip
Real Name
Lilo
Hi Guys,

I have been given the okay from the boss to start the building of my project.

This is a 1-2 year project as I'll slowly be buying the pieces.

I am wondering if you had access to the following brands what would you pick for each:

Brands:

Harmon Kardon

Klipsch

Energy

Martin Logan

Pioneer

Monster Cable

Monster Power

Products:

Receiver:

Speakers

Front:

Center:

Rear:

Side:

Power Center:

Screen:

Projector: SONY? (unless you say a much better one)

I work at the electronics store so I am going to be saving HUGE and will be buy these piece by piece. So if you could pick what are some awesome options here for each.

Thanks guys.

Cheers

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
You're going to get so many different opinions, it will be ridiculous. You need to be much more specific in what you want, budget, etc. BUT you can definitely scratch Monster Cable/Power off the list(VERY overpriced).

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Without specific model numbers, prices after discounts, and your budget/wants/needs this is pure generalizing.

I'd take Pioneer Elite (vsx-32 or higher) or the Pioneer 1120 over H/K, mostly for reliability reasons.

I'd also take Energy over Klipsch. Energy and Klipsch are about as far apart in sound as you can get.

I really don't have any experience with Martin Logan but they are certainly worth a look...or listen.

A Monster Cable surge protector is fine if your discount truly is HUGE.

TrufflePig

Grip
Real Name
Lilo
Guys, my budget is between 15-20K.

My discounts are HUGE so go ahead and list away best models that will work for me.

I want a kick a$$ system.

Its going to be a full on room. Step up seating. Everything.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Pioneer Elite SC-37 or H/K 7550 if they still cary it. If you really want to impress your friends then get the Elite SC-09. You did say your discount was HUGE. Pioneer Elite makes very good speakers but they are out of your price range (hard to believe, but they are). The ones at BestBuy are very good for a consumer level product but with your budget you can do better.

Look at the ML Motion series speakers and Dynamo 1000 subwoofer.

Also the Energy Veritas or Connoisseur series speakers. The Veritas are very, very good speakers. Get the biggest sub available, the ESW-M8. Paying internet direct for an SVS subwoofer will get you better performance though.

I don't really know that much about Klipsch speakers because I don't care for that bright of a sound, but you might like them so give them a listen.

Get the Pioneer Elite BDP-43FD BluRay player and DV-58av universal disc player.

That should leave you enough money for the projector, screen wires/cables, seating, popcorn machine, divorce lawyer and court costs.

TrufflePig

Grip
Real Name
Lilo
Thanks for the advice and replies thus far.

Keep them coming if you can.

I'll price out the following recievers.

Receivers: Elite SC-09 or KS 7550

Power Center: Monster Power: MP HD IR 2550 and MP HDP 1800

TrufflePig

Grip
Real Name
Lilo
So I can get the elite or the high end HK.

The high end HK, the 7550, I'd save over 1500 in buying it because of me working there.

As for cables, it is 50% + savings.

Any recommendations?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The SC-09 is a massive receiver with a huge "cool" factor . The SC-37 would probably be more than enough.

I haven't had a newer H/K but I have had three older ones over the years (520, 435 and currently have a 7200) and they have all been fine receivers. Never had a problem with any of them. Lots of good clean power, easy to setup and operate and very nice sound. But there have been QC issues in the recent past. The 7550 is the best receiver they've had since the 7300.

Check the prices at Monoprice.com for cables and wires. Even with your discount I bet they're still cheaper than those Monster cables. Ac4l.com also has good prices on cables but their selection is limited. I do understand if you prefer to buy from your place of employment instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks