What's new

International Open Range French blu-ray - All region or not? (1 Viewer)

SergioM

Auditioning
Real Name
Sergio Mims
I've read a review of the French blu-ray DVD of Open Range in which the review stated that the DVD was all region. But in other listing for the DVD it states that it's Region B.

Does anyone know definitively if the French Blu-ray is all region or not? I'm forced to hold off getting it until I know for sure.

Martin Henry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Yer Da
The French disc is region free, but has the worst PQ out of the Euro releases, horribly boosted contrast.

The Swedish release is region free and looks very nice.

So does the German disc, but that one is region locked.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
If this is Buena Vista/Touchstone, what's the likelihood of this getting released in the US anytime soon? Does Disney handle the Blu-ray?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
For those of you that don't have a Blu-ray player that can play all regions (I don't), Starz HD and Encore HD show this film. I thought at first that the broadcast was cropped as it fills the 16:9 AR of an HDTV. But, I just compared it to the screen shots on caps-a-holic and the Starz/Encore broadcast shows more picture information on the bottom and a little on the top and loses nothing on the sides. It was filmed in the Super 35 process.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Didn't pull the trigger on it yet, as for some reason, I still
believe a domestic release is forthcoming.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
This is also a film I've been waiting on thinking it will get a domestic release. Westerns have been filtering out...though slowly...I do think I need to go and purchase another region free player as at the moment I am without one. I need to get some advice on which one and where I should purchase though...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I bought the Orei from Bombay(in Chicago).

Simple. The remote sucks(as in how it feels in your hand).

The menu is straightforward. There is nothing more to say other than it works. Oppo's have a hack.

I plan on learning the Orei remote into my Onkyo remote. I might, finally, break down and buy a universal if Orei is one of the brands included.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Ronald Epstein said:
Didn't pull the trigger on it yet, as for some reason, I still
believe a domestic release is forthcoming.
Any news on a US Blu-ray?

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Reggie W said:
This is also a film I've been waiting on thinking it will get a domestic release. Westerns have been filtering out...though slowly...I do think I need to go and purchase another region free player as at the moment I am without one. I need to get some advice on which one and where I should purchase though...
I live in Germany and need a region free player especially for the Region A from the US. I recommend that one looks at the site "220.electronics.com. They are located in the Chicago area. I have had mine for since May and have had no problem. In regards to the 50 cycle BR from the BBC. I have written them and they state the their software takes care of that problem. They state any BR on any TV. I bought the modified LG BP435W from them. All DVDs will play and for BR one must first type 1,2, 0r 3 for region A, B, or C resp. When I get a BR I first try "3" and if that works then probably the disk is region free. That is true with the MGM Mad World disk. The box states "A" but it is really "A", "B", "C".Required is a digital TV with a HDMI IN input

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Ronald Epstein said:
Nope....and my faith is waning that it will happen.

At the last HTF meet the group that showed us their speakers (was is Revel?) had a demo and showed scenes from Open Range. I asked where the Blu-ray was from and they said France. Before Blu-ray, I use to show the same scenes from the DVD. Great gun shots!

Ernest

Supporting Actor
I purchased the German release of "Open Range" sometime ago the video/audio are excellent. The 20 minute or so gunfight near the end of the movie is fantastic. Like Sumnernor I purchased an LG and Toshiba Region-Free players from 220.electronics. I own many region "B" Blu-ray and both players work as advertised, very good.

I try to avoid buying Blu-rays from France because the few I have purchased do not include an "OFF" selection for the French subtitles. What happens is when I watch Sheltering Sky or Four Feathers using the English audio the French subtitles appear on the screen and CANNOT be turned OFF. If you select the French audio the subtitles do not appear. I have not experienced this problem with the Blu-rays I purchased from Amazon.de or Amazon.uk. A word of caution make sure the Blu-ray you are buying from any site is not from a French distributor.

The subtitle problem does not appear to be a case of the French distributor trying to save money. Obviously selling Blu-ray disc to Americans is very good for business. The French distributor never anticipated Americans would be interested in purchasing Blu-rays from France. The French distributor also never anticipated so many really good titles would never be released on Blu-ray in Region "A".

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yeah Ernest, I never pre-order a French Blu without finding out about the subs online first. I always like to read a few comments before ordering. I like ordering from Germany best, their prices are always lower than France, & they do the fastest delivery of anyone I use, including my local Amazon UK!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member