-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Yet another subwoofer placement question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 bubblebuddyi

bubblebuddyi

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted May 19 2011 - 05:58 AM

Hello,

I'm having a bit trouble with the sound coming from my subwoofer. It just happens that where my couch placement in my room is the "dead spot", or where you can't hear the bass and some parts some boomy. The couch is set towards the middle of my room, and the subwoofer is in the only spot I can fit it. It seems like the couch position is just a bass dead spot, because my left and right channel speakers are heavy is bass as well, and it cannot be heard from my sitting position as well. The weird part is, if I lean my head down, towards the floor at my seating position, I can hear the bass clearly, from the thump to the 80hz and below frequencies. And another thing, I can hear the frequencies from about 80hz and below but they do not sound as clear as they should.

Any help with be greatly appreciated!

-Thanks

#2 of 4 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,116 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted May 19 2011 - 06:42 AM

my left and right channel speakers are heavy is bass as well

Are your mains set to large or small?  If your mains are set to large and your sub is out of phase with them, then there will be cancellation.  Set them to small so the sub handles all of the bass duties.

How have you calibrated your entire system?  Have you plotted the in-room frequency response of your sub?

#3 of 4 Hicks

Hicks

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted May 19 2011 - 06:46 AM

I'm a big believer in the "bass crawl" method of sub placement myself.

http://www.audioholi...oofer-placement

Home Theater Guru
www.aperionaudio.com

#4 of 4 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,116 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted May 19 2011 - 07:35 AM

Even better if you crawl with an SPL meter in your hand.