What's new

30 foot HDMI cable for 3D tv. please help! (1 Viewer)

Ralph a

Auditioning
Real Name
ralph
first time poster here and I was hoping to get some answers ... I recently purchased a samsung8000 series 3d tv .. which I am mounting on the wall with my yamaha receiver about 25 to 30 feet away in the closet .. after leaving my local best buy and speaking to the guys there they told me I need a very expensive HDMI that a regular one won't cut it because of the length .they recommended a audio quest cinnamon hdmi cable with Ethernet ... so I guess my question is ... is this true? will the picture be laggy with a normal wire? any help is appreciated .. thanks in advance

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Lengthy runs can cause issues for HDMI cables, however, 25-30 feet is not usually a problem.

Only when you get up near 50 feet do you typically have to worry about signal degradation, and in these cases you need some device to amplify the signal - the "qaulity" of the cable itself is not enough to overcome the signal loss.

Shop for your cables from www.monoprice.com or www.bluejeanscable.com (an HTF sponsor). I have a 25 foot cable from monoprice running from my receiver to my projector and have never had a problem with it.

Be careful, though, that the longer cables are usually thicker (smaller gauge) and don't bend too easily, so make sure you have ample room behind your devices for the cable.

Here's a 25 footer from Monoprice, but it's 22 gauge, so it's going to be BEEFY and thick.

Here's a 30 footer from Monoprice that is a bit thinner at 24 gauge.

The cables at BlueJeans are pricier, but they are all of excellent quality. Scroll down on this page to see their pricing options (they offer cables of varying gauges and specify which are ideal for longer runs).

Reading the info on the BlueJeans site is very helpful, too. Once you read that, you'll NEVER buy pricey cables from retailers EVER AGAIN!!

Good luck.

P.S. Oh, and to answer your question, no - you will not experience "lag" due to cable length. It's an electrical signal that travels nearly at the speed of light. "Lag" is usually caused by processing delays in your hardware. These can almost always be resolved through proper setup and configuration of your devices. Post back here in the forum if you ever experience any sorts of problems and we'll be more than happy to offer troubleshooting options.

Ralph a

Auditioning
Real Name
ralph
wow. thank you for the respones you helped a lot and also are going to save me a few bucks lol. thanks again. really appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks