Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Currrent Design PC-8 Plus power conditioner

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE   Gary.S

Gary.S

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted May 16 2011 - 05:56 AM

American-made, 8-outlet home theater power conditioner.

$225 obo.

This was made in the late 90s/early 00s by a company ("Current Design") that has since gone out of business.

I haven’t found a lot of info about this. It is well made, with respectably-sized coils and MOVs, and a pretty impressive circuit board. (I believe the build quality is a notch up from most of the Monster Power units.) Nice chassis, too.

A company called Cinema Source gave this description in one of their 2002 publications:

“CURRENT DESIGNS offers a single power protection product but it’s a great one. The PC-8 PLUS is specifically designed for full home theater protection. First, it offers high quality AC surge (Transient) suppression and RFI/EMI with multiple stages. It also has voltage sensing circuits that shuts down the entire system if it senses over voltage (130V) or undervoltage (85V) conditions. The PC- 8 PLUS also offers full RFI/EMI isolation of it’s eight of it's rear mounted outlets. Lastly, the PC-8 PLUS is a fully programmable sequencer. It offers a user-adjustable turnon delay (0 to 90 seconds) for it’s eight outlets with the timing on the power up sequence easily monitored via front-panel, bi-color LEDs. If one has an elaborate home theater installation, one can custom program the PC-8 Plus not only to power up all components for minimum current draw but also for sequencing of accessories like screen lowering and drape actuation. The PC-8 Plus retails for $699.95.

I recently acquired this unit and some other hardware from a guy who had gotten it at an estate sale, but I don’t have enough rack space to fit it into my HT system. (Plus, my HT system is down to a “2.0” configuration with not much hardware.) Considering how little dust I found inside the chassis, I’d guess that it hasn’t been used much.I haven’t used the turn-on delay features, only experimented with them by setting the switches on the back panel, and they seem to work fine. I have plugged equipment into it without taking advantage of those special features, and it works fine that way, too.

Shipping cost included in the price.

If interested, contact me for more photos.