What's new

Thoughts on Classe Amps? (1 Viewer)

Hey guys--

In my ever-continuing search for a solid state amp to mate with my DSP-A1 and Paradigm Studio speakers, I've stumbled upon some good deals on used Classe equipment. Specifically, I'm looking at either a CAV75 or CAV150. The former would be run bridged to provide a 150wpc x 3 environment for my fronts.

The original amp I heard my Paradigm speakers with was a Classe, and it sounded absolutely outstanding. However, that amp wasn't one of the CAV models.

Anyone have other thoughts? As you know from prior threads, the other amps I'm considering are the Aragon 8008BB or the Odyssey Stratos (both 2-channel).

-A.

ling_w

Second Unit
According to classe, the CAV is not related to the CA. The CAV-150 is not 3 amplifier boards of the CA-151 sharing a common power supply. The higher up CA series isn't even the same as the lower models. I think the CA-201 is completely different.

So to go with the good Classe's, you have to get CA-201 or higher.

Some of their old DR series are probably even better.

The Aragon are a steal nowdays.

I realize that the Classe A/V amps are different from their two-channel models. That said, are they still competitive with the Aragon amps? I'm getting a used CAV-75 for about $800 -- roughly half what I'd half to pay for a new 8008BB.

-A.

ling_w

Second Unit
I don't think the Classe are comparable to the Aragon. The aragon use overspec'd parts, capable of doubling in power as you half the impedence all the way to at least 2ohm. The CAV is a barely adaquate amp, and when bridged, it's spec'd for only 8 ohms. Its wimpy power supply also shows when in bridged mode, it only doubles in power instead of the ideal quadruple. You speaker might be rated at 8 ohm, but many dips very low throughout their operating range. The CAV-75 has a ~800VA transformer powering 3x150 watt bridged, while the Aragon 8008x3 has a 2000VA transformer powering 3x200watt. No comparison. I am not saying that is everything, since many mid-fi HT brand's amp has some beefy supplies, but comparing audiophile to audiophile brand, the aragon is much better. Plus the 8008x3 is a 3ch version of the 8008BB, can't say that about the Classe CAV.

The original design of the Aragon was done by Dan D'agostino of Krell.

Maybe a CAV-150 would provide more power, but that becomes pricey and it is still not a CA series. If you could get yourself on some old Classe DR amp, that would be best. They were more famed than what Classe has, and it was designed by David Reich, who has since moved on to McCormack. A good alternative would be th McCormack HT-1, which is a 3ch amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks