What's new

Alien Anthology question(s) for Charles (1 Viewer)

Daz_85

Agent
Real Name
Darren
Hi Charles,

I thought I'd make this a new thread away from the existing Alien Blu-ray one for clarity.

Now that we've lived with the Alien Anthology for 6 months, and the individual film titles have just been released in the US, I was just wondering what your thoughts are on the set as a whole? Are you happy with the presentation of the films and the massive amounts of extras you assembled? Anything that you were really hoping to include that didn't make it? Would love to know your insights :)

Also I was wondering if you could clear up the issue of Alien regarding it's possibly "squished" picture geometry? Take for example the opening hypersleep scene... on the 1999 DVD you can notice the entire pods in the frame, but with the subsequent Quadrilogy and Anthology releases the picture is cut more and more for each release and you don't see as much overall. And while the image quality is beautiful, the picture has been squeezed horizontally. Is there any reason why Ridley wanted this, as it seems like quite a mistake to me and distracting when we've previously seen it differently.

You can see comparisons here: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare2/alien.htm

Thank you very much for your time.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Daz_85

Hi Charles,

I thought I'd make this a new thread away from the existing Alien Blu-ray one for clarity.

Now that we've lived with the Alien Anthology for 6 months, and the individual film titles have just been released in the US, I was just wondering what your thoughts are on the set as a whole? Are you happy with the presentation of the films and the massive amounts of extras you assembled? Anything that you were really hoping to include that didn't make it? Would love to know your insights :)

Also I was wondering if you could clear up the issue of Alien regarding it's possibly "squished" picture geometry? Take for example the opening hypersleep scene... on the 1999 DVD you can notice the entire pods in the frame, but with the subsequent Quadrilogy and Anthology releases the picture is cut more and more for each release and you don't see as much overall. And while the image quality is beautiful, the picture has been squeezed horizontally. Is there any reason why Ridley wanted this, as it seems like quite a mistake to me and distracting when we've previously seen it differently.

You can see comparisons here: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare2/alien.htm

Thank you very much for your time.

The image is not squished, what happens with a lot of blu ray releases is that instead of downconverting to the blu ray resolution of 1920x1080 which can introduce artifacts, they are simply cropping the edges off the frame and this results in less picture information, not a big deal for most modern shot movies but i would prefer to see the entire frame.

I would personally like to know why so many films are getting new colour timing, i am not keen on that at all.

Daz_85

Agent
Real Name
Darren
Thanks for the information FoxyMulder, though it does strike me odd that every home release seems to get less and less of the side picture in Alien, while the other films in the series don't seem to have this. You say Alien hasn't been squished, but it definately appears like its been stretched sideways compared to the previous releases... which version is correct?!

Yeah the colour timing changes in older films for Blu-ray is interesting, and I'm not sure what to make of it myself. Ridley does seem to do this. Part of me thinks how much fresher they look, while another part of me wishes they would just keep it the way it was, but obviously at the highest quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks