Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Ashton Kutcher signed onto Two and a Half Men

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,537 posts

Posted May 13 2011 - 07:17 AM

Didn't see anyone comment yet on this news.

I don't regularly watch this show. But was amused my Sheen's meltdown. One report on ABC News thought Kutcher will bring a new dynamic to the series. Perhaps more likable and not such a dark character. And could attract a new audience.

And Charlie Sheen's response:

http://www.hollywood...wo-a-men-188303

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   KevinGress

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

• 653 posts

Posted May 13 2011 - 07:45 AM

On the surface I think it's a dumb move.  Thought Hugh Grant would have been a better choice than Ashton.

I'm probably wrong and Two and a Half Men will stay on top, but I, for one, am having serious thoughts against tuning in in the fall with this choice.

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,537 posts

Posted May 13 2011 - 07:53 AM

I had no idea of either choices! Hugh Grant feels like Roger Moore taking over for James Garner in Maverick.

Kutcher might have a chance. Might be interesting to see how they introduce him.

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,186 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted May 13 2011 - 09:24 AM

I think he's definitely a better choice than Hugh Grant. It'll give the show a different vibe, for sure. I might actually watch more than half an episode.

Oh, they need to get Demi Moore for a guest role.

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted May 13 2011 - 10:54 AM

I can't stand Ashton Kutcher. Terrible choice to replace Sheen IMHO, but obviously CBS sees things differently.

"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,262 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted May 13 2011 - 02:42 PM

Interesting. I quit watching 2.5 Men this season, and felt it was in decline the past two or three seasons. I'll give it a look when Kucher joins, but my complaints were with the writing, not the acting, so I don't think new characters will help enough.

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,673 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 13 2011 - 03:17 PM

I think it's a good choice. I was a little surprised that Kutcher wanted to go back to a sitcom. He seems to have plenty of film work.

At least if he plays a similar character, it might get rid of some of the "creepy old man" vibe that Sheen brought, dating women so much younger than the character (and actor).

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,537 posts

Posted May 13 2011 - 03:54 PM

I'm not so sure Kutcher will play a character like Sheen. That debauchery was intrinsic to Sheen. My guess is he'll play dumb. Like his That 70's Show character. And Alan or Jake will be smarter. I've never seen Kutcher's films so I am open to try this new version out this fall.

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,370 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted May 13 2011 - 05:07 PM

I wonder what contrivance they'll come up with to write him into the show. If I had to guess, I'd say he'll be the son Charlie never knew he had, from a fling back in high school.

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 14 2011 - 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Brent M 

I can't stand Ashton Kutcher. Terrible choice to replace Sheen IMHO, but obviously CBS sees things differently.

I think you're in the minority here as I think Kutcher has a likeability factor that might do this show some good.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,262 posts

Posted May 14 2011 - 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt 

I wonder what contrivance they'll come up with to write him into the show. If I had to guess, I'd say he'll be the son Charlie never knew he had, from a fling back in high school.

Charlie Harper dies tragically and his unknown son inherits the beach house? I like it. My wife says it won't work. Kucher will be a cousin or such. :)

I'm not a Kucher fan, but I have to admit he's good on screen and can carry a comedy. I'm hoping the change in staff allows a re-examination of the characters. Alan has become Charlie v2. The brilliantly funny female supporting cast of the early years (Rose & Candi) have been replaced with dull near-wives (Mia, and the harpy-like character by Courtney Thorne Smith). And to compensate, the raunchiness has escalated. It was never clean, but now it's just disgusting.  I hope Chuck Lorre can use this as a way to get back to earlier seasons, with Alan being a foil for Cousin Kucher, and some good female balance.

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,884 posts

Posted May 14 2011 - 04:08 AM

Perhaps Kutcher's character's maturity level will be "half man"-esque.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,262 posts

Posted May 14 2011 - 04:11 AM

It could be interesting, putting him between Alan and Jake :)

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 14 2011 - 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by DaveF 

Charlie Harper dies tragically and his unknown son inherits the beach house? I like it. My wife says it won't work. Kucher will be a cousin or such. :)

I'm not a Kucher fan, but I have to admit he's good on screen and can carry a comedy. I'm hoping the change in staff allows a re-examination of the characters. Alan has become Charlie v2. The brilliantly funny female supporting cast of the early years (Rose & Candi) have been replaced with dull near-wives (Mia, and the harpy-like character by Courtney Thorne Smith). And to compensate, the raunchiness has escalated. It was never clean, but now it's just disgusting.  I hope Chuck Lorre can use this as a way to get back to earlier seasons, with Alan being a foil for Cousin Kucher, and some good female balance.

What's wrong with disgusting?  It can be funny too.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,262 posts

Posted May 14 2011 - 09:19 AM

It can be. But to me, 2.5M has tried to compensate for poorer writing by making it more lewd; and it hasn't worked.

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,041 posts

Posted May 14 2011 - 09:30 AM

Ok full disclosure, I actually do watch the show and have enjoyed it.

That said I really can't see how they can bring in Kutcher and make it work. That's not a knock on Kutcher but more a realization that at its' core the show was about two brothers living together and all that takes place with that kind of dynamic.

I'll certainly watch in to see how it plays out and I hope it works.

Of course the first new show will have huge ratings and we can expect the typical gloating by Warner and Chuck Lorre. If the ratings start to fall afterward we can expect silence.

Originally Posted by Malcolm R 
I was a little surprised that Kutcher wanted to go back to a sitcom. He seems to have plenty of film work.

While he has made several films it is not as if he has had great success in films. Perhaps he feels this is a good opportunity for him to stay in the spot-light.

Beside in the industry this is a no lose situation for him. He'll generate a lot of good will has someone willing to come in and help out in a time of crisis.

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,262 posts

Posted May 14 2011 - 09:37 AM

I think Kucher is as much famous for being famous these days, as his work. He was very popular from That 70s Show. And seemed to have hit gold in Punk'd. His movies have done OK, and he's done several. But nothing's been tremendous "film" or blockbuster, I don't think. And he does ads for a camera company, playing off his celebrity-hood. And he's in the news anytime Demi Moore is featured for something. But as a 30-ish actor / celebrity, he's certainly keeping an eye out for work and longevity and 2.5Men could be a good opportunity. Certainly the money's good, at about $1M per ep. A season or two of that might be more than he makes off much of his movie work.

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted May 14 2011 - 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford 

I think you're in the minority here as I think Kutcher has a likeability factor that might do this show some good.

Crawdaddy

I just find him to be really annoying. All he does is talk in a really loud voice as if that makes what he's saying funnier. I was never a huge Two and a Half Men fan, but from what I did see of the show I always thought Sheen nailed the role perfectly. He was/is that guy and there's no way Kutcher can step in and do it as good or better IMHO.

"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,250 posts

Posted May 16 2011 - 10:02 AM

Glad that Ashton is stepping in. Stopped watching several years ago, Sheen's antics ruined things for me.

Hope this opens up more airtime for Berta and Holland Taylor, they're a big boost to this show.

Stan