Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Citizen Kane pre-order on Amazon... with Ambersons?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
97 replies to this topic

#1 of 98 OFFLINE   Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts

Posted May 12 2011 - 12:51 PM

Adam Jahnke of The Digital Bits posted this link on Facebook:

http://www.amazon.co...05246459&sr=1-1

It's listed as Citizen Kane (Amazon Exclusive 70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition + The Magnificent Ambersons DVD)... no release date at the moment.

Hell, this might be the first WB collector's box that I actually buy! Posted Image (I assume Kane will be available by itself at B&M stores.)

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

#2 of 98 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,689 posts

Posted May 12 2011 - 01:39 PM

Yeah, I'm gonna need this.  Posted Image

#3 of 98 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,027 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 12 2011 - 01:47 PM

One of my complaints is if you're only going to make The Magnificent Ambersons available in the box of junk for Citizen Kane then make it a BRD instead of just a DVD.  If later you want to release it as a separate DVD then go ahead, but people buying Citizen Kane on BRD would probably want The Magnificent Ambersons on BRD too.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#4 of 98 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts

Posted May 12 2011 - 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford 

One of my complaints is if you're only going to make The Magnificent Ambersons available in the box of junk for Citizen Kane then make it a BRD instead of just a DVD.  If later you want to release it as a separate DVD then go ahead, but people buying Citizen Kane on BRD would probably want The Magnificent Ambersons on BRD too.

Crawdaddy

+1

Aren't the original negatives for both of these lost or destroyed by the studio?

#5 of 98 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted May 12 2011 - 03:00 PM

What is this DVD you speak of? Oh, one of those ancient formats we no longer buy.

#6 of 98 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,307 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 12 2011 - 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by benbess 

+1

Aren't the original negatives for both of these lost or destroyed by the studio?

IIRC, Kane does not have a negative remaining but a fine-grain master. Don't know about Ambersons but I am perplexed as to why it isn't getting a BD as well. Even if they never find the cut footage (never say never, since they found about 99% of Metropolis), its historical significance warrants it.

On the other hand, this box certainly doesn't look like junk. At least it can be stored with my other DVDs and BDs.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#7 of 98 OFFLINE   ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted May 13 2011 - 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by MatthewA 

IIRC, Kane does not have a negative remaining but a fine-grain master. Don't know about Ambersons but I am perplexed as to why it isn't getting a BD as well. Even if they never find the cut footage (never say never, since they found about 99% of Metropolis), its historical significance warrants it.

On the other hand, this box certainly doesn't look like junk. At least it can be stored with my other DVDs and BDs.

An audio commentary on Ambersons would've been nice. This film has such an interesting production history, I would've thought it warranted a few supplements to give us some details. I always feel slighted when films with interesting production stories show up without any supplements (The Misfits anyone?). This is certainly an opportunity lost.

More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri

#8 of 98 OFFLINE   Larry Geller

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor

• 562 posts

Posted May 13 2011 - 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by ReggieW 

An audio commentary on Ambersons would've been nice. This film has such an interesting production history, I would've thought it warranted a few supplements to give us some details. I always feel slighted when films with interesting production stories show up without any supplements (The Misfits anyone?). This is certainly an opportunity lost.

Esp. since Ambersons' commentary on the Criterion LD is the best commentary, EVER

Mmmm, snout!-Homer Simpson

#9 of 98 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 13 2011 - 05:21 AM

I just received an e-mail from Amazon promoting this release this morning.  Am I right in thinking the Ambersons disc in this set is the first and only Region 1 DVD of this title?  I'd stopped looking for it on DVD when I switched to buying all new titles on Blu, and just sort of assumed it got a DVD release at some point. I was holding out for a BD disc, preferably with some serious restoration, which I thought would follow the Kane release.   Now I'm not sure what to do.

Regards,

Joe

#10 of 98 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 13 2011 - 05:38 AM

I'm gonna wait until I can get them separate in simpler packaging.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#11 of 98 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts

Posted May 13 2011 - 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 

I'm gonna wait until I can get them separate in simpler packaging.

I think I'll wait too. A price of around $20 is normally about my tops for a single title, although sometimes I've gone close to $30. $50, however, is a bridge too far. I think Warner might be setting themselves up for a fall with this kind of pricing on an classic black and white title. Not even Criterion prices em like this. And I feel like I can already hear them whining about how classic titles don't sell. Well, if so, they did it to themselves on this one imho.

I'm not even certain it's going to look all that great, given that the studio destroyed the negative for silver half a century ago--or whatever happened to it. It is a great movie, but this kind of pricing and packaging is I think just going to turn off a lot people.

#12 of 98 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted May 13 2011 - 06:09 AM

Is there a full press release with specs. somewhere yet?  I want to know if this is a new transfer or not (I recall there being some significant problems with the original DVD for Kane).  I would also like to know what other extras are included?  It looks like it includes all of the original extras plus RKO 281, but I want to make sure before I sell off my old copy.

#13 of 98 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,513 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted May 13 2011 - 06:16 AM

No press release yet. Bill Hunt says to watch for one in the next few days.

I suspect Ron will have the press release posted here as soon as he gets it.

FWIW, this Kane/Ambersons bundle is already #10 in Amazon's "Movie & TV" category...

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#14 of 98 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,119 posts

Posted May 13 2011 - 06:29 AM

I would buy Ambersons on bluray, I might consider buying a box-o-crap edition of Kane if Ambersons were on Bluray.  But I would probably boycott the releases if they were only available in the box-o-crap and wait for them to become available in normal editions.

But putting Ambersons on DVD in the box-o-crap is just a giant second slap in the face on top of the first slap (the first slap being releasing it in a box-o-crap edition).

I'd pay full list price of the box-o-crap edition to get Citizen Kane WITHOUT the box-o-crap.  I'd much rather it have normal packaging than have a giant idiot box.

Hopefully we'll eventually get a chance to buy both films in bluray without the wasteful and useless packaging nonsense.

But it's a shame that this was done to Magnicent Ambersons.  Incredibly insulting of WB, especially considering they have had 15 years since the Inception of dvd to do Magnificent Ambersons right, and they botch the job so badly the film is just an extra feature to another film.

It's almost as insulting as Fox releasing Sunrise only as part of a box set, but at least that was a real release, and not just an afterthought special feature.

It is as insulting as Universal making the Muni Scarface only available as a special feature in the box of crap edition of the Pacino Scarface.

15 years to get Magnificent Ambersons right, and they bomb the release plan.  Impressive.

#15 of 98 OFFLINE   ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted May 13 2011 - 07:16 AM

Those of us who hate this deluxe packaging should wait and see if an overseas UK edition is announced soon. When Gone with the Wind & OZ  were released here in the fancy packages, the UK market received these titles in regular no-frill cases with ALL of the supplements included for an attractive price - even after US shipping. I know many people on this board, myself included, who went this route and will do it again with Kane if possible or necessary.

More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri

#16 of 98 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,304 posts

Posted May 13 2011 - 07:25 AM

Unfortunately, I just remembered that as an RKO title WB only has US rights to Citizen Kane (Universal has UK rights). Which means chances of a UK/Europe release from WB is nil.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#17 of 98 OFFLINE   ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted May 13 2011 - 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 

Unfortunately, I just remembered that as an RKO title WB only has US rights to Citizen Kane (Universal has UK rights). Which means chances of a UK/Europe release from WB is nil.

ARGGGGGH!

Thanks for reminding me of this Brandon. Now it seems the only options available are to purchase the deluxe box-set or hope and pray for a no-frills release without the"stuff." $50.00 for Kane & Amberson's is still a little more than I'm willing to shell out at this point. I really don't want to spend more than $40.00 for both (I'm thinking $25 for Kane & $15 for Ambersons), especially once you consider that Amberson's is SD only. In the end, I may have to live with the big box IF the price is right.

#18 of 98 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,304 posts

Posted May 13 2011 - 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by ReggieW 
Thanks for reminding me of this Brandon. Now it seems the only options available are to purchase the deluxe box-set or hope and pray for a no-frills release without the"stuff." $50.00 for Kane & Amberson's is still a little more than I'm willing to shell out at this point. I really don't want to spend more than $40.00 for both (I'm thinking $25 for Kane & $15 for Ambersons), especially once you consider that Amberson's is SD only. In the end, I may have to live with the big box IF the price is right.

Yeah, I realized I'm in the same boat. Warner can be unpredictable with these things - they did eventually reveal amazon.com exclusive separate releases for Barry Lyndon and Lolita, and they did have alternate store exclusive options for Wizard of Oz, Woodstock, Casablanca, etc., so there's hope. Then again, I had to pick up Gone with the Wind from the UK in order to get both discs in the set without big-box packaging, and I eventually imported The Goonies from the UK because there is still no alternative option here in the US.

Just gonna have to see how this plays out.

And Ben-Hur will probably be the same scenario.

#19 of 98 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,320 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted May 13 2011 - 08:24 AM

I'm so shocked over the whole dealing with the release of Amberson's and throwing it on a DVD in a blu-ray set, it just seems absurd.

I am sorry but those making the decisions down to cover art on their catalog releases show lack of creativity.

Then again their lack for nostalgia of their company is my biggest issue with WB's Home Video.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#20 of 98 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted May 13 2011 - 11:12 AM

While I'm (very) disappointed they couldn't have gotten The Magnificent Ambersons on Blu-ray for this set, I'm content to pay $50 for two classics, with all of the extra discs included.  It's much like the Apocalypse Now set, which is two movies and one director's cut at a similar price.

Having two movies makes it easier to swallow for me compared to one, which was not the case for Gone With The Wind, The Wizard of Oz, Casablanca, or The Sound of Music

I'll likely buy the Ben-Hur box set because it will have both the original and the silent version on Blu (the silent will be blu because it's already been released on DVD).  And I'm sure they'll pull the same crap as Paramount and not allow the silent version to be available separately.

Originally Posted by benbess 

Not even Criterion prices em like this.

To be fair, Criterion priced Night of the Hunter blu at $50.