What's new

Mr. Finn- Are we getting more TODD-AO blurays in the future? (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Just give us a yes. If you read our board. we really want and will buy more of the TODD-AO productions. Hint hint- CLEOPATRA - HELLO DOLLY- AGONY AND ESCTACY-DOCTOR DOLITTLE.-STAR!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, every single one of those films would likely make a stunning Blu-ray release. I'd like to see them all.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm definitely on board for these.

I especially want to see a restoration on the very first Todd-AO film: Oklahoma! The two DVDs both had major problems.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
and since Fox is responsible for handling MGM's output, how about the following TODD-AO films controlled by MGM?

PORGY AND BESS (1959)

THE ALAMO (1960)

KRAKATOA EAST OF JAVA (1969)

THE LAST VALLEY (1971)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
I would love to see a TODD-AO transfer of AIRPORT, but its Universal and that's another story.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by trajan

I would love to see a TODD-AO transfer of AIRPORT, but its Universal and that's another story.

I don't know, Blues Brothers, Animal House, Dazed and Confused made it, Airport just might make it. It has been pretty good seller for them over the years and the Airport Terminal Pack stroked up some good sale numbers.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by Mark B

It can't happen, but I'd like to see the TODD-AO AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS.

It can't happen? My home video collection is full of titles that people said would never come out.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
All I know is if they can look on the level of Sound Of Music and South Pacific, I'm all in favor! Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
It would be great if Fox would come out with Blu-ray series called ROADSHOW and include theirs and the MGM owned titles that played roadshow engagements. Make sure the release has the entire roadshow experience from the overture to the exit music. Create a short documentary on the history of the roadshow film from the silent era up to the demise of it in the early 70's. Also create a making of documentary for the film with an emphasis on the release history of it. Some of the films release history is as interesting as the history of making the film, such as Star!

Hello Dolly, Doctor Dolittle, The King & I, Cleopatra, Hawaii, Star!, It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World, The Hallelujah Trail, Exodus, The Great Escape and others would all fit in to this series and have a release every four months, just as a roadshow title would be released. Just a suggestion.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Quote: Originally Posted by ahollis It would be great if Fox would come out with Blu-ray series called ROADSHOW and include theirs and the MGM owned titles that played roadshow engagements. Make sure the release has the entire roadshow experience from the overture to the exit music. Create a short documentary on the history of the roadshow film from the silent era up to the demise of it in the early 70's. Also create a making of documentary for the film with an emphasis on the release history of it. Some of the films release history is as interesting as the history of making the film, such as Star!

Hello Dolly, Doctor Dolittle, The King & I, Cleopatra, Hawaii, Star!, It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World, The Hallelujah Trail, Exodus, The Great Escape and others would all fit in to this series and have a release every four months, just as a roadshow title would be released. Just a suggestion.

I've brought this marketing concept up a few times in the past. FOX should do a "Roadshow" series - just as you said. Maybe even a Box set (Cleopatra, Star, Those Magnificent Men, The Agony and the Ecstasy, Dolittle, Hello Dolly) Maybe a Digibook with 6 sleeves

This way they can sell the titles with less interest at the same time (The films may not appeal to a wide audience but the look of the discs will surely prompt more people to watch these films and maybe discover them)

[COLOR= #0000cd]Blu-ray eye candy[/COLOR]

These Todd-AO films were expensive - but the money shows on the screen

By the way "The King and I" was never a roadshow (It was brought back in early 60's in a 70MM blow up but that engagement was not a roadshow)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I have a friend that managed the Liberty Theatre in Beaumont, TX and he played The King & I on a reserved seat engagement during the 1961 70mm re-release. The Overture was not added until that release as I understand. The reason I recall on an extra on the Laserdisc box set said that the studio got a lot of questions about the overture since it was on the soundtrack album and not on the original release in 1956.

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
I think there were rumors a couple of years ago about both The Agony and the Ecstasy and Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines coming out on blu, but they seemed to have disappeared. Perhaps Fox is still working on them.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by Matt Stieg

I think there were rumors a couple of years ago about both The Agony and the Ecstasy and Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines coming out on blu, but they seemed to have disappeared. Perhaps Fox is still working on them.
Agony has just shown up in an HD master on netflix. I haven't looked at it yet though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks