Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Mr. Finn- Are we getting more TODD-AO blurays in the future?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#1 of 65 ONLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 833 posts

Posted May 12 2011 - 04:16 AM

Just give us a yes. If you read our board. we really want and will buy more of  the TODD-AO productions. Hint hint- CLEOPATRA - HELLO DOLLY- AGONY AND ESCTACY-DOCTOR DOLITTLE.-STAR!

#2 of 65 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted May 12 2011 - 07:42 AM

those would be most welcome

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

#3 of 65 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts

Posted May 12 2011 - 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by GMpasqua 

those would be most welcome

+1

#4 of 65 ONLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 833 posts

Posted May 12 2011 - 08:12 AM

Nice photos!

#5 of 65 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,575 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 12 2011 - 08:20 AM

Yes, every single one of those films would likely make a stunning Blu-ray release. I'd like to see them all.

#6 of 65 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted May 12 2011 - 08:49 AM

Thanks

Here's some more

#7 of 65 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,307 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 12 2011 - 10:25 AM

I'm definitely on board for these.

I especially want to see a restoration on the very first Todd-AO film: Oklahoma! The two DVDs both had major problems.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#8 of 65 OFFLINE   john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 645 posts

Posted May 12 2011 - 10:29 AM

Oklahoma needs a full restoration given the problems with the negs. Hopefully Fox is doing so.

#9 of 65 OFFLINE   MLamarre

MLamarre

Second Unit

• 418 posts

Posted May 12 2011 - 11:03 AM

and since Fox is responsible for handling MGM's output, how about the following TODD-AO films controlled by MGM?

PORGY AND BESS (1959)

THE ALAMO (1960)

KRAKATOA EAST OF JAVA (1969)

THE LAST VALLEY (1971)

#10 of 65 ONLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 833 posts

Posted May 12 2011 - 12:58 PM

I would love to see a TODD-AO transfer of AIRPORT, but its Universal and that's another story.

#11 of 65 OFFLINE   Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted May 12 2011 - 01:14 PM

It can't happen, but I'd like to see the TODD-AO AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS.

#12 of 65 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,842 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 12 2011 - 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by trajan 

I would love to see a TODD-AO transfer of AIRPORT, but its Universal and that's another story.

I don't know, Blues Brothers, Animal House, Dazed and Confused made it, Airport just might make it.  It has been pretty good seller for them over the years and the Airport Terminal Pack stroked up some good sale numbers.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#13 of 65 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted May 12 2011 - 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mark B 

It can't happen, but I'd like to see the TODD-AO AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS.

It can't happen? My home video collection is full of titles that people said would never come out.

#14 of 65 ONLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 833 posts

Posted May 18 2011 - 03:04 PM

Still waiting for an answer Mr Finn.

#15 of 65 OFFLINE   David Coleman

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted May 20 2011 - 10:33 PM

All I know is if they can look on the level of Sound Of Music and South Pacific, I'm all in favor! Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

#16 of 65 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,842 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 21 2011 - 02:05 AM

It would be great if Fox would come out with Blu-ray series called ROADSHOW and include theirs and the MGM owned titles that played roadshow engagements.  Make sure the release has the entire roadshow experience from the overture to the exit music.  Create a short documentary on the history of the roadshow film from the silent era up to the demise of it in the early 70's.  Also create a making of documentary for the film with an emphasis on the release history of it. Some of the films release history is as interesting as the history of making the film, such as Star!

Hello Dolly, Doctor Dolittle, The King & I, Cleopatra, Hawaii, Star!, It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World, The Hallelujah Trail, Exodus, The Great Escape and others would all fit in to this series and have a release every four months, just as a roadshow title would be released.  Just a suggestion.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#17 of 65 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted May 21 2011 - 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahollis 

It would be great if Fox would come out with Blu-ray series called ROADSHOW and include theirs and the MGM owned titles that played roadshow engagements.  Make sure the release has the entire roadshow experience from the overture to the exit music.  Create a short documentary on the history of the roadshow film from the silent era up to the demise of it in the early 70's.  Also create a making of documentary for the film with an emphasis on the release history of it. Some of the films release history is as interesting as the history of making the film, such as Star!

Hello Dolly, Doctor Dolittle, The King & I, Cleopatra, Hawaii, Star!, It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World, The Hallelujah Trail, Exodus, The Great Escape and others would all fit in to this series and have a release every four months, just as a roadshow title would be released.  Just a suggestion.

I've brought this marketing concept up a few times in the past. FOX should do a "Roadshow" series - just as you said. Maybe even a Box set (Cleopatra, Star, Those Magnificent Men, The Agony and the Ecstasy, Dolittle, Hello Dolly) Maybe a Digibook with 6 sleeves

This way they can sell the titles with less interest at the same time (The films may not appeal to a wide audience but the look of the discs will surely prompt more people to watch these films and maybe discover them)

Blu-ray eye candy

These Todd-AO films were expensive - but the money shows on the screen

By the way "The King and I" was never a roadshow (It was brought back in early 60's in a 70MM blow up but that engagement was not a roadshow)

#18 of 65 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,842 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 21 2011 - 04:31 AM

I have a friend that managed the Liberty Theatre in Beaumont, TX and he played The King & I on a reserved seat engagement during the 1961 70mm re-release.  The Overture was not added until that release as I understand. The reason I recall on an extra on the Laserdisc box set said that the studio got a lot of questions about the overture since it was on the soundtrack album and not on the original release in 1956.

#19 of 65 OFFLINE   Matt Stieg

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator

• 228 posts

Posted May 21 2011 - 05:44 AM

I think there were rumors a couple of years ago about both The Agony and the Ecstasy and Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines coming out on blu, but they seemed to have disappeared.  Perhaps Fox is still working on them.

#20 of 65 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts

Posted May 21 2011 - 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Matt Stieg 

I think there were rumors a couple of years ago about both The Agony and the Ecstasy and Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines coming out on blu, but they seemed to have disappeared.  Perhaps Fox is still working on them.

Agony has just shown up in an HD master on netflix. I haven't looked at it yet though.