Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

USHE Press Release: National Lampoon's Animal House and The Blues Brothers (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,096 posts

Posted May 11 2011 - 11:42 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/ http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

LAUGH OUT LOUD THIS SUMMER WHEN TWO LEGENDARY CLASSIC COMEDIES DEBUT ON BLU-RAY™ FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER

NATIONAL LAMPOON'S ANIMAL HOUSE

and

THE BLUES BROTHERS

JULY 26, 2011  

FROM UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT

OVERVIEW: Universal Studios Home Entertainment presents two beloved comedies that spawned a pop culture phenomenon,

National Lampoon’s Animal House and The Blues Brothers, both debuting July 26, 2011 on Blu-ray™ for the first time. Directed by

John Landis and starring John Belushi, both films are newly remastered in high definition, allowing fans to experience the laughs like

never before with perfect picture and the purest digital sound.

NATIONAL LAMPOON’S ANIMAL HOUSE:

Starring comedy legend John Belushi (The Blues Brothers, “Saturday Night Live”), National Lampoon’s Animal House is the ultimate

college movie filled with food fights, fraternities and toga parties! Follow the uproarious escapades of the Delta House fraternity as they

take on Dean Wormer (John Vernon, Dirty Harry), the sanctimonious Omegas, and the entire female student body. Directed by John

Landis, the most popular college comedy of all-time also stars Tim Matheson (Sometimes They Come Back, “The West Wing”), Donald

Sutherland (The Eagle, M*A*S*H), Karen Allen (Raiders of the Lost Ark), Kevin Bacon (Mystic River, Footloose), Thomas Hulce

(Amadeus), and Stephen Furst (“St. Elsewhere”), along with music legends Otis Day and the Knights performing their show-stopping

rendition of ‘Shout.’

THE BLUES BROTHERS:

Comedy icons John Belushi (National Lampoon’s Animal House, “Saturday Night Live”) and Dan Aykroyd (Ghostbusters, “Saturday

Night Live”) star in the outrageously funny musical comedy The Blues Brothers. After the release of Jake Blues (Belushi) from prison,

he and brother Elwood (Aykroyd) take their blues band back on the road in an attempt to raise money for the orphanage where they

were raised. Havoc ensues as the brothers seek redemption on their “mission from God.” This soul-stirring comedy classic features

unforgettable musical performances by blues legends Ray Charles, James Brown, Aretha Franklin and Cab Calloway.

NATIONAL LAMPOON’S ANIMAL HOUSE BLU-RAYTM EXCLUSIVES:

U-CONTROL: Universal’s exclusive feature that lets the viewer access bonus materials without leaving the movie!

o Scene Companion: Watch cast and crew interviews during key scenes with this picture-in-picture companion.

o The Music of Animal House: Instantly identify the songs heard while watching the film, create a custom playlist of your

favorites and even purchase them from iTunes®!

BD-LIVETM: Access the BD-Live™ Center through your Internet-connected player to watch the latest trailers and more.

pocket BLU: The groundbreaking pocket BLU™ app uses iPhone®, iPod® touch, Android™, PC and Macintosh to work

seamlessly with a network-connected Blu-ray™ player. Also available on the iPad™, owners can enjoy a new, enhanced edition of

pocket BLUmade especially to take advantage of the tablet's larger screen and high resolution display. Consumers will be able

to browse through a library of Blu-ray™ content and watch entertaining extras on-the-go in a way that's bigger and better than ever

before. pocket BLU™ offers advanced features such as:

o Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray™ player. Users can navigate through

menus, playback and BD-Live™ functions with ease.

o Video Timeline: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the film.

o Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray™ discs to save to their device or to

stream from anywhere there is a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy content on the go, anytime, anywhere.

o Browse Titles: Users will have access to a complete list of pocket BLU™-enabled titles available and coming to Bluray

™ Hi-Def. They can view free previews and see what additional content is available to unlock on their device.

o Keyboard: Entering data is fast and easy with your device’s intuitive keyboard.

uHEAR™: Never miss another line of dialogue with this innovative feature that instantly skips back a few seconds on your Bluray

™ disc and turns on the subtitles to highlight what you missed.

ADDITIONAL NATIONAL LAMPOON’S ANIMAL HOUSE BLU-RAYTM FEATURES:

THE YEARBOOK: AN ANIMAL HOUSE REUNION: An original documentary featuring interviews with Director John Landis,

Producers Ivan Reitman & Matty Simmons, cast members Tim Matheson, Karen Allen, Stephen Furst, Peter Riegart, John Vernon

& Kevin Bacon, Composer Elmer Bernstein and Writers Chris Miller & Harold Ramis plus behind-the-scenes footage and clips with

John Belushi.

WHERE ARE THEY NOW? A DELTA ALUMNI UPDATE: A hilarious mockumentary featuring the original cast.

SCENE IT? ANIMAL HOUSE: Relive all your favorite moments from your favorite fraternity through real movie clips, trivia

questions and an array of on-screen puzzlers with these two games.

THEATRICAL TRAILER

THE BLUES BROTHERS BLU-RAYTM EXCLUSIVES:

BD-LIVETM: Access the BD-Live™ Center through your Internet-connected player to watch the latest trailers and more.

pocket BLU: The groundbreaking pocket BLU™ app uses iPhone®, iPod® touch, Android™, PC and Macintosh to work

seamlessly with a network-connected Blu-ray™ player. Also available on the iPad™, owners can enjoy a new, enhanced edition of

pocket BLUmade especially to take advantage of the tablet's larger screen and high resolution display. Consumers will be able

to browse through a library of Blu-ray™ content and watch entertaining extras on-the-go in a way that's bigger and better than ever

before. pocket BLU™ offers advanced features such as:

o Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray™ player. Users can navigate through

menus, playback and BD-Live™ functions with ease.

o Video Timeline: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the film.

o Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray™ discs to save to their device or to

stream from anywhere there is a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy content on the go, anytime, anywhere.

o Browse Titles: Users will have access to a complete list of pocket BLU™-enabled titles available and coming to Bluray

™ Hi-Def. They can view free previews and see what additional content is available to unlock on their device.

o Keyboard: Entering data is fast and easy with your device’s intuitive keyboard.

MY SCENES: Bookmark your favorite scenes from the film.

uHEAR™: Never miss another line of dialogue with this innovative feature that instantly skips back a few seconds on your Bluray

™ disc and turns on the subtitles to highlight what you missed.

ADDITIONAL THE BLUES BROTHERS BLU-RAY TM BONUS FEATURES:

INCLUDES 2 VERSIONS OF THE FILM: Original theatrical version plus extended version with 15 minutes of additional footage.

STORIES BEHIND THE MAKING OF THE BLUES BROTHERS: Go behind the scenes with Director John Landis, Dan Aykroyd

and the Blues Brothers band.

TRANSPOSING THE MUSIC: Highlights of the many spin-offs, tributes and merchandising developments, as well as stage shows,

impersonators and pop culture inspired by the film.

REMEMBERING JOHN: Friends, family and co-stars share their personal stories about the late great comedian.

THEATRICAL TRAILER

NATIONAL LAMPOON’S ANIMAL HOUSE - TECHNICAL INFORMATION:

Street Date: July 26, 2011

Copyright: 2011 Universal Studios Home Entertainment

Selection Number: 61115227

Running Time: 1 Hours, 49 Minutes

Layers: BD-50

Picture Format: Widescreen

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1

Rating: Rated R

Languages/Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French (EU, CAN), Italian, German, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, Finnish, Dutch,

Norwegian

Sound: English DTS Surround 2.0 (Bonus)/English DTS-EXPRESS 2.0 (Bonus)

NATIONAL LAMPOON’S ANIMAL HOUSE - CAST AND FILMMAKERS:

Cast: John Belushi, Tim Matheson, John Vernon, Verna Bloom, Thomas Hulce, Karen Allen and Donald Sutherland

Directed By: John Landis

Written By: Harold Ramis, Douglas Kenney, Chris Miller

Produced By: Ivan Reitman, Matty Simmons

Director of Photography: Charles Correll

Art Direction By: John J. Lloyd

Editor: George Folsey Jr.

Costume Design By: Deborah Nadoolman

Original Music By: Elmer Bernstein

Casting By: Michael Chinich

THE BLUES BROTHERS - TECHNICAL INFORMATION:

Street Date: July 26, 2011

Copyright: 2011 Universal Studios Home Entertainment

Selection Number: 61115284

Running Time: 2 Hours, 13 Minutes/2 Hours, 28 Minutes

Layers: BD-50

Picture Format: Widescreen

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1

Rating: R/Not Rated

Languages/Subtitles: English SDH (BD), Spanish (BD), French (BD)

Sound: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, French DTS Surround 5.1 (Theatrical), Spanish DTS Surround 5.1

THE BLUES BROTHERS - CAST AND FILMMAKERS:

Cast & Talent: John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd, James Brown, Cab Calloway, Ray Charles, Carrie Fisher, Aretha Franklin, Henry Gibson

Directed By: John Landis

Written By: Dan Aykroyd, John Landis

Executive Producers: Bernie Brillstein

Associate Producers: George Folsey Jr., David Sosna

Produced By: Robert K. Weiss

Director of Photography: Stephen M. Katz

Production Designer: John J. Lloyd

Film Editing By: George Folsey Jr.

Costume Design By: Deborah Nadoolman

Casting By: Michael Chinich

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts

Posted May 11 2011 - 02:54 PM

Please, oh please, Universal, please include the excellent Bio Channel documentary on the Animal House disc. (WB did it with Caddyshack.)

I hope a new HD transfer has been done for The Blues Brothers. The one that was airing on HDNet crica 2007-08 has an error: for some reason, in the driving scene after the church music number, it cuts to the insert shot of the 8-track player twice. The audio is fine; this second shot was just... there.

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   ChadMcCallum

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit

• 438 posts

Posted May 12 2011 - 05:47 AM

Yay for including both cuts of The Blues Brothers!

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 844 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted May 12 2011 - 06:02 AM

Sign me up for Animal House! Day 1 purchase. It'll be a day almost as memorable as the day the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. Posted Image

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted May 12 2011 - 06:09 AM

I am also pleased to see both cuts of The Blues Brothers being included.  Bravo!

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts

Posted July 15 2011 - 03:59 PM

The first Animal House review is in: http://www.blu-ray.c...y/16762/#Review I'll wait for more reviews but this doesn't bode well. Also: the back cover artwork is up for Animal House and The Blues Brothers on DVDEmpire. The audio for The Blues Brothers is listed as plain old DTS 5.1. (?!?!) Hopefully just a typo.

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,843 posts

Posted July 15 2011 - 11:11 PM

I've gone through the Blues Brothers Blu-ray.  The typo is in the press release.  Both cuts of the film have a DTS 5.1 English mix, at 768 kbps.  I think they may have maxed the capacity of the disc and not had the room to put on a DTS-HD MA mix - the two cuts of the movie are apparently separate files - not seamless branching.  The extras are all SD and are what I recognize from the last DVD release.   The movie looks and sounds good, although the added bits for the longer cut tend to be pretty obvious in picture quality when they come up.  The documentary is nice, as are the two briefer pieces - but that's the extent of the extras (not counting a full frame copy of the movie's trailer.)  I understand that John Landis approved the new HD transfer for this Blu-ray.

I'll get through Animal House this weekend.  I'm not sure what to make of the prior review.  I have heard that John Landis was not pleased with the original HD master a few years back and had the PQ made grungier - but I'll know more when I spend some time with it...

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts

Posted July 16 2011 - 03:06 AM

I've gone through the Blues Brothers Blu-ray.  The typo is in the press release.  Both cuts of the film have a DTS 5.1 English mix, at 768 kbps.  I think they may have maxed the capacity of the disc and not had the room to put on a DTS-HD MA mix - the two cuts of the movie are apparently separate files - not seamless branching.  The extras are all SD and are what I recognize from the last DVD release.   The movie looks and sounds good, although the added bits for the longer cut tend to be pretty obvious in picture quality when they come up.  The documentary is nice, as are the two briefer pieces - but that's the extent of the extras (not counting a full frame copy of the movie's trailer.)  I understand that John Landis approved the new HD transfer for this Blu-ray.

I'll get through Animal House this weekend.  I'm not sure what to make of the prior review.  I have heard that John Landis was not pleased with the original HD master a few years back and had the PQ made grungier - but I'll know more when I spend some time with it...

Since this is a new Landis-approved transfer, this problem probably doesn't exist but I might ask you to check anyway. On the HDNet broadcast, there is an error. After the church scene, there's a shot of the Bluesmobile, followed by a close-up of the 8-track player. Two shots later, the 8-track player close-up repeats - this shouldn't be there. When I saw the film on HDNet, I replayed that because I knew something was off (the audio stays the same). Again, this being a new transfer, I doubt it's a problem.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,430 posts

Posted July 16 2011 - 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott D S 

The first Animal House review is in: http://www.blu-ray.c...y/16762/#Review

I'll wait for more reviews but this doesn't bode well.

Also: the back cover artwork is up for Animal House and The Blues Brothers on DVDEmpire. The audio for The Blues Brothers is listed as plain old DTS 5.1. (?!?!) Hopefully just a typo.

Yes, based on that review I have removed "Animal House" from my shopping cart at Amazon. (Especially at $20 I can do without the edge enchanced wax museum version)  I'll wait until a better re-issue comes along in the next few years

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,843 posts

Posted July 16 2011 - 05:34 AM

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for another re-issue of Animal House.  If you're happy with the last DVD version, you could just stay with that one, since the extras are pretty much the same.  (The Blu adds the song listings and some of the BTS material popping up PIP, but I don't know that either function is so much of an enhancement that you really have to have it.)

I'll check for the double shot of the tape deck - but I don't remember seeing it when I watched it two nights ago.

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts

Posted July 16 2011 - 12:14 PM

Picture quality notwithstanding, I still might've purchased this if they had included the BIO Channel documentary. I realize it's something that they would have to license separately but it's just galling that it was included on the last DVD set (the 30th Anniversary gift set) but not on this. I'm hoping this documentary is where the U-Control PIP interviews come from but the bluray.com review implies this is not the case. 2013 is the film's 35th anniversary - probably the earliest we can hope for a remaster. In the meantime, I'm content with my 1998 Collector's Edition DVD with the original mono audio and John Landis signature from a chance meeting at the San Diego Comic-Con in 2005. :)

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,843 posts

Posted July 17 2011 - 07:19 PM

Regarding the Blues Brothers double shot of the 8-track tape of Sam & Dave, I've got some more information.

It is on the theatrical cut, not the extended cut.  The same error exists on the theatrical cut as found on the 25th Anniversary SD DVD but does not exist on the extended cut there.  And I'm seeing here that it exists on the theatrical version shown on HDNet.   Just to check, I looked at an old videotape I made from an airing on the Z channel back in 1985.  While the picture and sound quality are nowhere near that found on the Blu-ray, the mistake doesn't exist on that version.

The error is easily spotted once you see the sequence correctly.  After the brothers leave the church where the James Brown number plays, there's a dissolve to a night highway shot of the Bluesmobile.  While in this exterior shot, we hear the beginning of a Sam & Dave song and see the Bluesmobile get passed on its left by an 18 wheel truck.  We then cut inside to a close-up of the 8-track Sam & Dave tape.  We cut back outside to a shot of the Bluesmobile exiting the highway, and so on.  In the remastered theatrical cut at least as recent as the 2005 DVD, there is a premature cut inside to the 8-track tape, then a cut back outside to the 18 wheeler in the middle of passing the Bluesmobile and a cut back inside to the 8-track at the proper point in the soundtrack.   I'm not sure how this error happened, but I would not have noticed if you hadn't asked, or if I had only watched the extended version.

It seems pretty clear that the same HD master has likely been used for the 2005 DVD, the HDNet broadcasts and for the new Blu-ray.  I wouldn't be surprised if this holds true both for the theatrical and extended cuts.  If John Landis approved the new Blu-ray transfer, it's likely he just watched the extended cut - or perhaps just isolated sequences.

The mistake isn't a dealbreaker for me, but it's strange to see.  Since the soundtrack isn't affected, it's just an odd visual hiccup.

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts

Posted July 19 2011 - 12:58 PM

Regarding the Blues Brothers double shot of the 8-track tape of Sam & Dave, I've got some more information. It is on the theatrical cut, not the extended cut.

I'm not sure at the moment whether I consider this a dealbreaker or not, but... http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Stefan Andersson

Stefan Andersson

Stunt Coordinator

• 220 posts

Posted July 21 2011 - 09:21 AM

A future anniversary edition of The Blues Brothers might include the audio tracks for the Sink the Bismarck! song (and some more stuff) that apparently was found after the release of the extended cut. The Digital Bits reported this many years ago.

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,843 posts

Posted July 21 2011 - 09:35 AM

It would be nice if such an edition were to be released, but if there had been a chance to do it, this was it.