Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is Star Trek: The Next Generation Destined For Blu-Ray?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

#21 of 289 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted July 27 2011 - 05:03 AM

The news that TNG is going Blue is such great news. I agree CBS will make a ton of money on this in long run. I also hope this ends the flood of those import counterfeit DVD"S. I just hope CBS does not release the show in two parts for each season. I also hope that when and they will offer it as a box set that they do not shaft the fans with cheaper BD's like Battlestar Galactica. Yes it was from Universal but still it could happen. Wild Wild West was a prime example CBS respecting the fans who bought each season. Yes they were complete but giving the two reuinon movies only in a box set was just to much. CBS had done this with I Love Lucy but in the end released a dvd of the special features. I also would like to see the original Battlestar Galactica in BD. I think Universal would make money on the show if released in HD..

#22 of 289 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted August 10 2011 - 04:09 PM

Here is more Trek news form Bill Hunt!! Finally today, a lot of you have been asking for updates on CBS's Star Trek: The Next Generation - Remastered Blu-ray project, which we first revealed was in the works MANY months ago (here and here - click and scroll down a bit for the relevant text). As we said after Comic-Con, our sources have confirmed that it's coming and that a demo disc of episodes was being prepared for release during the holiday season, but there's obviously been no official announcement made by CBS yet. We don't know if CBS is ready to make an official announcement yet or not, BUT... tomorrow in Las Vegas, Creation's big annual Star Trek convention opens to celebrate the 45th anniversary of the Trek franchise. If CBS IS finally ready to official reveal the project to the world, that's the obvious place to do it if they want to get a buzz going in the geek/Trek community. It may or may not happen, but I would definitely keep your hailing frequencies open this weekend for any news that might break or leak out of Sin City. I'm sure our friends over at Trek Movie (who will be reporting from the Con) will be all over it if there's anything officially revealed

#23 of 289 Joseph Burns

Joseph Burns

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted August 12 2011 - 08:40 PM

…just look at Generations on blu ray. While it's not on my top ten Trek films…

(counts) Ouch, man. Just ouch.
"I didn't know you had antennae."

#24 of 289 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 1,972 posts

Posted August 13 2011 - 02:44 AM

My wish list for a demo sampler...

Encounter at Farpoint

The Challenge (looked ass even back in 1987!)

The Best of Both Worlds [arguably the most new effects heavy episode (as opposed to endless looping stock footage) in the series]

All Good Things

#25 of 289 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,043 posts

Posted August 13 2011 - 04:03 AM

I'm thinking if they really will go for a series release on blu ray, doing The Best of Both Worlds on a teaser demo disc would be cutting their throats! That's a high water mark episode and the perfect selling point. You'd want to hold that one to get consumers excited. Yesterdays Enterprise is an effects heavy episode and a highly regarded one. That one might be a good choice. But what is the true point of the remaster, a beautiful new high def image of the live action? Or the addition of cgi effects. For me, the remastered TOS really shines for the live action images and the only real reason to do it. The new CGI was a delightful bonus and succeeds most of the time and the redone theme music in the titles was overkill. The new CGI for TNG could be good if they have the time and budget. The TOS CGI suffers from limited time and budget, but it works over all because they deliberately dumbed it down to an appropriate (sometimes) level for the 1960's. The Doomsday Machine was one of the best efforts and the TOS equivalent to TBoBW. With TNG, I think the bar will be much higher for the effects.

#26 of 289 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted August 13 2011 - 04:28 AM

Yeah, I don't think they can put Best of Both Worlds on a demo disc.

I think the episodes they will likely consider would be something like:

Encounter at Far Point

Q Who - this is a good way to involve "The Borg" without giving away the big eps (Best of Both Worlds) that will be a selling point of the BD set

Silicon Avatar - would be an ideal episode to show how they can convert fully digital effects to the new media

Lessons - It's a Patrick Stewart piece all the way, but again, a good way to show baseline effects and the soundtrack off, especially as the soundtrack is important to this ep

I think the goal is to chose the intro episode, and a few others that would not be in the "MUST OWN" category but would be ones that would give you a reason to buy to see what the final set will look like.  If they do Best of Both Worlds etc. it just hurts themselves.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#27 of 289 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 720 posts

Posted August 13 2011 - 08:26 AM

How does the format change from 4x3 to 16x9 get handled for a show like this? Surely they don't crop the top and bottom to create a widescreen image, do the masters really have more unexposed image to the left and right that can be "opened up"? This is one of my all-time favorite shows. The Paramount DVDs image quality in standard definition is poor, even by my forgiving expectations. I don't really like the idea of messing with a classic show, and altering it from the "as aired" version, but I would like a better quality picture.

#28 of 289 The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,057 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted August 13 2011 - 08:59 AM

How does the format change from 4x3 to 16x9 get handled for a show like this? Surely they don't crop the top and bottom to create a widescreen image, do the masters really have more unexposed image to the left and right that can be "opened up"? This is one of my all-time favorite shows. The Paramount DVDs image quality in standard definition is poor, even by my forgiving expectations. I don't really like the idea of messing with a classic show, and altering it from the "as aired" version, but I would like a better quality picture.

Grabbed from Wiki,,,

An alternative to pillarboxing is "tilt-and-scan" (reversed pan and scan), horizontally matting the original 1.33:1 television images to the 1.78:1 aspect ratio, which at any given moment crops part of the top and/or bottom of the frame, hence the need for the "tilt" component. A tilt is a camera move in which the camera tilts up or down.

I don't get the need to blow up 4x3 shows to 16x9. It makes them look like crap, and you lose information because the shows weren't meant to be seen that way. It's no better than pan and scan. People need to learn to deal with black bars. If you have Universal Network HD on your cable or satellite system, check out their airings of T.J. Hooker. Those are remastered for hi-def, and have been done with tilt and scan so they appear to be 16x9. But, if you compare an episode, or even the opening titles to the TJ Hooker DVD set that's out, you see exactly how much has been lost because of the pointless 16x9 conversion.

#29 of 289 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,043 posts

Posted August 13 2011 - 09:26 AM

Here's an interesting fan page that studied the effort that went into scanning some 4:3 footage from TNG that was used for the final episode of Enterprise, which was shot at 16:9 format. The author went to some effort with screen caps and dissection of 4:3 image from TNG used on Enterprise. The text may be a bit tedious to some, or informative to others. http://www.ex-astris.../ent_vs_tng.htm What is interesting is that it "appears" there is still image information to the sides. Though the images show they cropped the image above and below. I noticed the same thing with a film clip I have of TOS. I scanned it and matched it to a screen cap and there is image information to the sides and top still. If the TNG remaster has any intent to go 16:9, I hope they give the viewer the option to view it as 4:3 as well. Or just leave it 4:3. One thing did happen to TOS in the remaster, they did expand the framing area a bit. Because on one episode, you can see the plywood edge of the set! This wasn't visible before. (It was Errand of Mercy IIRC)

#30 of 289 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted August 15 2011 - 08:39 AM

Here's an interesting fan page that studied the effort that went into scanning some 4:3 footage from TNG that was used for the final episode of Enterprise, which was shot at 16:9 format. The author went to some effort with screen caps and dissection of 4:3 image from TNG used on Enterprise. The text may be a bit tedious to some, or informative to others. http://www.ex-astris.../ent_vs_tng.htm What is interesting is that it "appears" there is still image information to the sides. Though the images show they cropped the image above and below. I noticed the same thing with a film clip I have of TOS. I scanned it and matched it to a screen cap and there is image information to the sides and top still.

that's probably just picture information that was normally lost in the "overscan" area of tube TVs.

If the TNG remaster has any intent to go 16:9, I hope they give the viewer the option to view it as 4:3 as well. Or just leave it 4:3. One thing did happen to TOS in the remaster, they did expand the framing area a bit. Because on one episode, you can see the plywood edge of the set! This wasn't visible before. (It was Errand of Mercy IIRC)

They'd best leave it 4:3 for the Blu-Rays, like TOS. If they want to make a 16:9 version for TV broadcasts, fine, I can live with that, just as long as the Blu-Rays are OAR. As for the 'added' framing you noticed, that's probably just overscan area that got reclaimed and got missed by the remastering team (a similar thing happened when the BBC remastered Space: 1999: they opted to show the viewer the extra 4% or so of picture area that was normally lost due to overscan, but on one episode, they noticed plywood showing at the edge of the frame, so elected to "zoom" back in on that shot to make sure it didn't show on the DVDs (and later, Blu-Rays).

#31 of 289 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,022 posts

Posted August 17 2011 - 07:29 AM

that's probably just picture information that was normally lost in the "overscan" area of tube TVs.

The images are screen captures, so there's no overscan. The 16:9 version actually contains picture information that simply wasn't present in the original 4:3 version.

#32 of 289 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted August 18 2011 - 06:41 AM

The images are screen captures, so there's no overscan. The 16:9 version actually contains picture information that simply wasn't present in the original 4:3 version.

Well, regardless, I'd say with almost 100% certainty the directors were all composing for a 4:3 presentation, so unless there's any evidence to the contrary as to what their intended aspect ratio was, I feel this should be presented on the discs in the original fullscreen ratio. Whatever they want to do with TV broadcasts is fine, I could care less, but I wouldn't want them to do a Kung Fu: Season 1 on this.

#33 of 289 BobSchneider

BobSchneider

Second Unit

• 421 posts

Posted August 22 2011 - 07:45 AM

Wow really Star Trek no good oops Next Generation on blue ray?:eek: LOL Sorry . I wonder what there going to do with a extra cheesy set design on s1,s2 and s3 .I've been watching the digitally remastered re runs in hd in 4:3 on channel 5.1 ota in L.A. area... wow its not pretty in 720p imagine 1080p belch! Blue ray is almost going to be more unkind to N.G. than the 1st gen . The cameras used on N.G. have the detail that highlights the low budget sets of s1, s2 and s3 where it was hid by the low def TV sets 80's and early 90's. Hmm they'll have to work those image smoothing filters double time on the blue ray release. :P
Q: Why do you care?

A: You'll never know.

#34 of 289 Joseph Burns

Joseph Burns

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted August 25 2011 - 09:24 PM

I'm sure that the folks at CBS/Paramount are aware of the size of the fanbase for the show. The positive feedback in this thread is the tip of the iceberg, since one must assume that most fans aren't HTF regulars. There really aren't too many shows that have the majority of humanity (3 billion out of about 6?) as fans, so one must assume that, no matter how lucrative the product, that most people are not fans. Not sure how informative it is to reveal a lack of fandom.:P
"I didn't know you had antennae."

#35 of 289 Berkshires

Berkshires

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted August 26 2011 - 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by BobSchneider 

Wow really Star Trek no good oops Next Generation on blue ray?Posted Image ... I've been watching the digitally remastered re runs in hd in 4:3 on channel 5.1 ota in L.A. area

Let me see if I understand this. You think the show is no good, but you've been watching it?

"Miss Garbo should be kept away from the bed entirely." - Joseph L. Breen

#36 of 289 BobSchneider

BobSchneider

Second Unit

• 421 posts

Posted August 26 2011 - 08:21 AM

For me S1 and S2 are fun to watch as a do it yourself mystery science theater. From the retreaded 1st gen scripts, excessive intense political correctness to the low budget set design (love the basal wood desktop pc's they were rock'n you can see them on the 720p reruns) s1 and s2 are to hard watch. Plus s2 there's Dr. Paulaski disaster ...how do you turn yourself into one of the fans most hated characters? By attacking one of Star Trek's most popular Data in the 1st episode you appear in and on and off all s2 . s1 and s2 are a hoot to watch almost because how bad some of individual episodes can be. Star Trek NG doesn't real become its own show till the s3 with all original scripts , toning down of the overly excessive PC, and with real character development for all the other characters not just for Data and Picard . I'll still watch Star Trek NG (DS9 is my favorite incarnation) except for a hand full of s1 and s2 episodes I generally don't start watch NG reruns until the s3 beings. No I wont get the blue rays (heck I don't have the NG dvd sets) now if it was DS9 on blue ray that's a different story ;)
Q: Why do you care?

A: You'll never know.

#37 of 289 Berkshires

Berkshires

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted August 26 2011 - 11:06 AM

Then you weren't kidding. You actually watch a show you don't like, just for the perverse pleasure of criticising it and threadcrapping a forum.

I can't imagine having that much negativity.

I feel sorry for you.

"Miss Garbo should be kept away from the bed entirely." - Joseph L. Breen

#38 of 289 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,333 posts

Posted August 26 2011 - 12:22 PM

Then you weren't kidding. You actually watch a show you don't like, just for the perverse pleasure of criticising it and threadcrapping a forum.

I can't imagine having that much negativity.

I feel sorry for you.

No, he said he didn't like the show until Season 3. That's not excessively negative. And his earlier comments were satire, not threadcrapping--the show was cheesy in its early days and almost got cancelled before they found their footing.

#39 of 289 The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,057 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted August 26 2011 - 01:37 PM

No, he said he didn't like the show until Season 3. That's not excessively negative. And his earlier comments were satire, not threadcrapping--the show was cheesy in its early days and almost got cancelled before they found their footing.

And he is right... seasons 1 and 2 of TNG were pretty bad. The show only survived because people were happy to see a new Trek on TV every week. However, I don't think it was ever in danger of cancellation those first couple of years, and the show corrected its problems before ratings ever started to slide. I remember when the DVDs first came out... I started buying them with season 3 and went back for one and two after I was finished with the rest of the series. Sure, there were a few good episodes in those first couple of seasons... but the bad far outweighed the good. It wasn't until Roddenberry had to step back, and Berman and crew took over in season 3 that the show became consistently watchable.

#40 of 289 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,600 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted August 27 2011 - 10:30 AM

I'd have to break out the Next Gen Companion, but I don't think there was EVER a danger of the show being cancelled because of low ratings.  Not in S1 and not by S7.  I thought Paramount had  another year left on the actor contracts, but decided to stop at S7 for DS9 and Voyager to take over and transition the Next Gen cast to the movies.

Trek Nation has a fairly good breakdown by year of Trek ratings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users