Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is Star Trek: The Next Generation Destined For Blu-Ray?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
288 replies to this topic

#281 of 289 OFFLINE   Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,323 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 23 2012 - 12:46 PM

I tell myself that everything is relative. I try to remember how the early episodes of TNG looked on my antenna-driven television back in the late eighties. Compared to that, the DVDs look fabulous! But I agree, they pale in comparison to the TOS DVDs.

#282 of 289 OFFLINE   Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot

Supporting Actor

• 652 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted January 24 2012 - 06:31 AM

I tell myself that everything is relative. I try to remember how the early episodes of TNG looked on my antenna-driven television back in the late eighties. Compared to that, the DVDs look fabulous! But I agree, they pale in comparison to the TOS DVDs.

But then, think about how TOS looked on those antenna driven late 60s TVs. Most were still B/W, and you know that the color sets at the time were nowhere near "reference" calibrated with those light gray shadow mask tube faces and the brightness cranked to 100. At least with TNG, there was a greater chance of a lot of TVs (though certainly not all) were on cable.
Joel

#283 of 289 OFFLINE   Rl3058

Rl3058

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted January 31 2012 - 11:48 AM

I took a look at the sampler today and the new cover design is on the slipcover, the actual case is a slim keep case. So, hopefully this is the way season one will be also.

#284 of 289 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,843 posts

Posted January 31 2012 - 11:56 AM

Watched classic next gen episode The Inner Light tonight with the family. The HD looks amaaaaazing!! It's better than it ever was before. For me and my wife it was a two tissue episode at the end. The kids liked it too!

#285 of 289 OFFLINE   Frank169

Frank169

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted February 25 2012 - 08:38 PM

From a strictly technical point of view it doesn't matter whether there had ever been considerations for a widescreen remastering of the Next Generation back in 1987 or not. Fact is that unlike the original series the "action safe" areas in the 35mm camera viewer for shooting TV on film were considered and respected. TNG director Robert Legato stated that explicitly in an interview in CINEFEX # 37. Thus, the TNG directors made safe that crucial information would only be contained within the "action safe" and "title safe" areas. What we 'unfortunately' have seen on DVD (and now on the Next Level BD) is the original image from the D1 tapes with all those areas that contain no crucial information and which (at least general) audiences did not see because the overscan of average 4:3 tube television sets cropped off visual information on all four sides of the image. Many people have either forgotten their original viewing experience from the 90's or have grown so attached to all this insignificant visual information (I can live without looking at the crutches of Data, Worf and Geordi sitting at the Ops command bridge consoles) that they now can't and won't let go of it. For any widescreen reformatting it is inevitable that the top and bottom parts of the 1.37:1 negative image would be trimmed but would only result in a loss of insignificant picture information we were not even meant to see in the first place (!) Comparative studies between the original D1 image of the TNG episode "Ménage a Troi" and the widescreen image that had been extracted from the 1.37:1 camera negative for use in an episode of ENTERPRISE (1.78:1 aspect ratio) have revealed that a TNG widescreen aspect ratio of 1.66:1 is definitely possible without interfering or compromising any artistic considerations in terms of picture composition. Of course, all the extra insignificant visual information at the left and right side of the image is still there (so all the 4:3 purists only loose half of the extra information) but in my opinion it is absolutely preferable to display this extra information on a 16:9 HDTV screen rather than to look at the black void of these big pillarboxes that come with the current 4:3 version.

#286 of 289 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,303 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted April 30 2012 - 02:47 PM

For those interested, the complete first season is coming to Blu-Ray on July 24. The 13 seconds of missing film from “Sins of the Father” have since been located in a mislabeled box, and the standard definition video will be replaced for the version of the episode in the full season set.

#287 of 289 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,467 posts

Posted April 30 2012 - 04:32 PM

It will be interesting to see these in July. I think the first season had a few good episodes, the second half of the season is stronger. I look forward to it. And the following seasons will be highly anticipated.

#288 of 289 ONLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,908 posts

Posted May 01 2012 - 12:27 AM

With this scheduled for July (earlier than expected), perhaps we'll see the second season before the end of the year.

#289 of 289 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,978 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted May 01 2012 - 01:06 AM

For those interested, the complete first season is coming to Blu-Ray on July 24. The 13 seconds of missing film from “Sins of the Father” have since been located in a mislabeled box, and the standard definition video will be replaced for the version of the episode in the full season set.

That sounds great, I just hope they haven't lost anything else (or, at least, do a season-by-season inventory early enough so that if something is still missing, they'll have enough time to search for it before they feel the need to do an NTSC insert again).