Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is Star Trek: The Next Generation Destined For Blu-Ray?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

#1 of 289 SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,835 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted May 09 2011 - 10:59 AM

DIGITAL BITS: Moving on, consider this Rumor Mill-worthy, but it comes from a top notch source. Our friend Anthony over at Trek Movie - while reporting on last weekend's big Star Trek convention in Las Vegas - learned from CBS Consumer Products VP John Van Citters that CBS is currently considering releasing Star Trek: The Next Generation on Blu-ray Disc. There are obviously major challenges as, while the show was shot on film, all the effects and post production was done on SD analog video. So (in our opinion) in order to convert the series to HD and really do it right, all the original camera negatives would have to be scanned in HD resolution, and then all of the special effects and post production would have to be completely redone in HD via a similar CG upgrade process as was done with the remastered Star Trek: The Original Series. You'd basically have to rebuild each episode for HD. At least we HOPE that's what they'd do, because if they just simply digitally upconverted from 480i to 1080p, there's NOBODY who would want to buy that on Blu-ray. But rebuilding the show in HD is obviously a time consuming and expensive process. Nevertheless, Citters told the crowd at the Con, "It is being worked on and I expect it will happen, it is just a technical challenge." It's interesting this topic comes up again now: A couple months ago, we at The Bits began hearing new reports from our sources that a fresh round of tests and discussions on TNG HD was going on at CBS, but we certainly didn't expect that CBS would say anything in public about this yet. So I would say that there's a pretty good chance this is seriously going to happen, but don't start holding your breath just yet. Anyway, Anthony's original report is here. 

UPDATE (DIGITAL BITS):  Finally today, we've got a little something for you Trekkies. Consider it very Rumor Mill-worthy, as nothing has been officially announced (though that may change soon - more in a minute). But a lot of you have been asking us if Star Trek: The Next Generation - Remastered is ever going to happen. We've mentioned previously that tests on the feasibility of the project have been on-going at CBS for some time, and one of the key concerns has been cost. (Click here and scroll down a bit.) Well, today we've got an update for you...

As some of you may be aware, a few months ago Netflix signed a non-exclusive deal with CBS allowing them to digitally stream the entire Star Trek library to their customers, along with popular ancillary titles like MacGyver. Well, that arrangement definitely tripped our sensors. Not only is that financial incentive for TNG Remastered to move forward, but the fact that J.J. Abrams' big-screen Trek sequel is likely to start shooting in September (for theatrical release next year) provides a sufficient marketing/cross-promotional incentive too. So after several months of looking into this, our industry sources have finally begun hinting that TNG Remastered IS moving forward and that Netflix (and possibly Paramount's Epyx cable channel, which has a strong relationship with the streaming service) may be the first place you'll finally see it - in HD - starting sometime in the fall. Meanwhile, SD TNG episodes will begin appearing on Netflix in July. Trek Movie posted this a month ago:

will be available in HD." and will launch on October 1st. will all become available on July 1st. and , , . , and , , , series: the original "Netflix confirmed they will be streaming every episode of every season for all five live-action

While Deep Space Nine and Voyager are unlikely to generate the kind of revenue to justify a Remastered redo effort (and Enterprise is already available in HD), we believe a high-definition film scan of The Next Generation is very likely in the cards for the entire series run, along with the requisite digitally-upgraded effects. Of course, in addition to syndication and streaming, the end result of all this might be a Next Generation: Remastered Blu-ray release down the line. So if all goes well, you could be spinning Picard and Data on disc in glorious HD by this time next year. In any case, we'll post additional updates on this as they come in. Our best guess: Watch for official news to break at Comic-Con in July.  

#2 of 289 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted May 09 2011 - 11:10 AM

Even though a rumor this is great news and i will certainly not purchase the dvds. TNG  blu-rays most definetly count me in as it happens

#3 of 289 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,609 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted May 09 2011 - 02:22 PM

If a positive reaction to TNG remastered gets me DS9 remastered (yes, I will always hold out hope), I'm all for it with the usual caveat: the original version has to be on the same set like TOS or widely available. Otherwise, I'm geeked to see what they can come up with for every episode, but especially the biggies like Q Who and The Best of Both Worlds.

#4 of 289 Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,273 posts

Posted May 10 2011 - 12:36 AM

The original disks were such a investment I'd hate to spend more money on the blu's But like every good trek fan I probably will. The Dvd's are almost unwatchable now, as are DS9's. Voyager isn't too bad, I expect Enterprise might get released since the majority is in HD. TNG's DVD's are soft, full of noise and interlacing problems. I'd love to see a remaster, but TNG tends to have way more in the way of SPFX than the original show had. It's gonna Cost.

My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#5 of 289 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted May 10 2011 - 05:03 AM

Stephen and TNG Fans like myself read the bottom link kindly provided from our friend Tim.

http://trekmovie.com...-in-hd-project/

#6 of 289 Joseph Burns

Joseph Burns

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted May 19 2011 - 06:17 AM

There has been little in the way of technical discussion yet about TNG-R, doubtless that will come later after this rumor is (hopefully) confirmed.

The Trekmovie link states something about rotoscoping out the actors in front of the main viewscreen which seems odd. Was there not a green or bluescreen in the viewer for chroma keying? Hard to imagine that the original composite used rotoscoping, and if OTOH they are saying that the original plates are gone and they are rotoscoping out the old effect from the NTSC composite, that would mean B5-style quality drops everytime such a shot appears.

I recall seeing a documentary on TNG post production showing how they took multiple passes of the Enterprise using motion control; one exposure for the lights, one for the nacelles, one for the hull, one for the matte. These exposures would then be composited in video after telecine. The ideal reproduction would be to scan these exposures in HD and recomposite them — I worry that these will be thrown out in favor of all-CGI. Even the nebulae and wormholes in the show used 35mm smoke tank footage, so recovering and bringing these elements up to HD is possible (if the elements survive), and the most authentic to the original presentation.

There is, of course, CGI in the show already, from Q's barrier to "Tin Man" and the illusory ship from "The Survivors." These, along with phaser beams, titles and other elements generated in the video realm, would be replaced in any regard. Replacing 35mm material would be a disappointment, IMHO. Perhaps handling that volume of film breaks the bank; keeping my fingers crossed.

Greg Jein lives!

"I didn't know you had antennae."

#7 of 289 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted July 26 2011 - 11:27 AM

So SNG is going blu-ray by next year. Fantastic news!!! Now maybe we can hope for all the Star Trek series my favorite DS9 but i will buy for sure SNG!!! Thanks Bill Hunt for that great news!!!

#8 of 289 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted July 26 2011 - 12:37 PM

Wait what where?

Originally Posted by Mark Collins 

So SNG is going blu-ray by next year. Fantastic news!!! Now maybe we can hope for all the Star Trek series my favorite DS9 but i will buy for sure SNG!!!

Thanks Bill Hunt for that great news!!!

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#9 of 289 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted July 26 2011 - 01:18 PM

Matt here http://www.thedigita...com/#mytwocents

#10 of 289 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts

Posted July 26 2011 - 02:02 PM

They will get me with that sampler disc.   Just because you get that feeling it needs to sell well to get the complete series, I sure as hell will buy it.  I'm guaranteed to buy the whole series on BD as well, just in hopes it encourages them to do DS9

Someone had a thread "what would you pay more for"   Flat out, it's DS9.. that's another one.  If I have to buy TOS, TNG, and a Sampler disc to show them there is market devotion to do it, I'll be damned, small price to pay.  The DVDs of that series are TERRIBLE.   I will welcome whatever upgrade possibility there is.. the MPEG artifacts in the DS9 DVDs suck.   Any improvement for a series I love is worth it.

trakt.tv

#11 of 289 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted July 26 2011 - 02:48 PM

Matt I also see as you stated that even fans will be given a sampler disc later this year to show results of the project. I am with you all the way on this one. I love both series but do not have TOS or SNG only DS9. I loved the acting the writing i could go on and on. The whole show at first was suppose to be about a darker side to Star Trek. I never thought DS9 was anything but a very solid show with good actors and many many topics never written about on Network TV. Yes the sets may have been dark compared to the other series. The station though had it's own look. I was in Vegas some years ago and it was fun to see a great deal Quarks Bar and other things. I can be counted in for all the TNG release's!!!

#12 of 289 The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,067 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted July 26 2011 - 03:44 PM

If this is released on regular DVD, I'm in. If it's only on bluray, I'll pass.

#13 of 289 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts

Posted July 26 2011 - 04:43 PM

It's already on DVD (?!)

Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man 

If this is released on regular DVD, I'm in.

If it's only on bluray, I'll pass.

trakt.tv

#14 of 289 The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,067 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted July 26 2011 - 04:59 PM

It's already on DVD (?!)

Remastered versions with new effects are already on DVD? I'd also be in for a double dip on a remastered DS9, because the current DVDs look horrible.

#15 of 289 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,648 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted July 26 2011 - 11:47 PM

Glad I held off on TNG and DS9. Bad reviews just kept me away. Looking forward to finally buying these on blu ray.
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#16 of 289 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,748 posts

Posted July 27 2011 - 12:29 AM

Just finished watching all of TNG on DVD over the past year, and what is very evident is that the series needs an HD upgrade. I will definitely look forward to and support blu-rays of the entire series, as well as DS9 (which I consider the best).

#17 of 289 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,034 posts

Posted July 27 2011 - 01:05 AM

I think the DVDs for both series (TNG and DS9) are good enough for my viewing. I won't be purchasing either series on blu ray.

#18 of 289 Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,273 posts

Posted July 27 2011 - 01:13 AM

I'd wait and see the reviews before purchasing. DS9 was such a dark series that it just might not translate well to being upconverted
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#19 of 289 Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,017 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted July 27 2011 - 02:20 AM

Would love to see all the shows get an eventual upgrade but especially DS9 - Id pay extra for that show on its own. Will be very interesting to see the results of the test disc. Actually think CBS/Paramount are leading the way here because whilst it might cost them now, surely in the long run they are going to make a profit. And it may hopefully lead the way for other studios to consider upgrades to their shows - X Files ?? Babylon 5 ?? Buffy/Angel ?? I can hope!!! :)

#20 of 289 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,060 posts

Posted July 27 2011 - 03:21 AM

I think when the TNG eventually is remastered and we see the results, we'll likely be surprised and impressed by the quality of the image. I was really happy to see TOS on blu ray look so amazingly good! Granted though that series had superb cinematography and stylistic lighting. I think a true way to judge how TNG will improve is to just look at Generations on blu ray. While it's not on my top ten Trek films, what struck me was how the Data make-up looks. The people doing the test remastering must have found a way to reassemble all the cuts and found or figured out a way to chase down all the film elements and cataloged them for reassembly without an excessive financial cost. Fans working for free? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users