Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

BVHE Press Release: The Fox and The Hound 1 and 2 (2-Movie Blu-ray Collection)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,545 posts

Posted May 09 2011 - 08:18 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

In Celebration of THE FOX AND THE HOUND’s 30th Anniversary! 

TWO CLASSIC TALES OF FRIENDSHIP AND ADVENTURE 

RELEASE FOR THE FIRST TIME ON BLU-RAY HI-DEF  AUGUST 9, 2011 

THE FOX AND THE HOUND 

THE FOX AND THE HOUND 2 

2-MOVIE COLLECTION 

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

BURBANK, Calif., May 9, 2011— In the tradition of heart-warming films, such as Bambi and Dumbo

comes Disney’s classic tales that taught us the power of friendship in The Fox and the Hound and               

The Fox and the Hound 2, in a special 30th Anniversary 2-Movie Collection.   For the first time ever in 

high-definition, consumers can now experience the brilliant, humor-filled adventures of best friends Copper 

and Tod in an all-new digitally restored version of the original 1981 film, arriving to stores on August 9, 

Featuring an all-star cast of voice talents, toe-tapping music and fantastic bonus features, consumers can 

take home two of Disney’s beloved ―tails.∥ The Fox and the Hound and The Fox and the Hound 2,          

2-Movie Collection features both movies in a single 3-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack. This release provides 

families with the value, versatility and opportunity to enjoy their favorite movies how they want, when they want 

and on the entertainment platform of choice – whether it’s in the home, on a portable device and/or in the car.  

The Fox and the Hound and The Fox and the Hound 2 will be available as follows:  

3-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack (suggested retail price of $39.99 U.S. /$46.99 Canada) 

1 Blu-ray Disc that has both films on it 

1 DVD of The Fox and the Hound  

1 DVD of The Fox and the Hound 2 

2-Disc DVD Set (suggested retail price of $29.99 U.S./$35.99 Canada) 

1 DVD of The Fox and the Hound 

1 DVD of The Fox and the Hound 2 

Movie Download (each film is sold separately)  

High Definition  

o Fox and the Hound (HD) = $39.99 U.S./$45.99 Canada  

o Fox and the Hound 2 (HD) = $39.99 U.S./$45.99 Canada 

Standard Definition  

o Fox and the Hound (SD) = $29.99 U.S./$35.99 Canada 

o Fox and the Hound 2 (SD) = $29.99 U.S./$35.99 Canada 

Further engaging fans and families beyond the story itself, Disney has included five unique bonus features that 

provide consumers with the ability to further immerse themselves in the storyline, its history and characters 

themselves with an entertaining look inside the fascinating collection of unlikely friendships in the animal 

kingdom, Disney’s historic and legendary animators, the making of the music and more.  They are as follows. 

Bonus Features:  

Blu-ray Disc:  

Unlikely Friends:  A fun and fascinating Collection of Unlikely Friendships in the Animal 

Kingdom (ALL-NEW) -- Friendships know no boundaries.   They can occur across country lines, be 

shared among young and old and even develop between different species!   

DVD’s: 

The Fox and the Hound: 

o Best of Friends Sing-A-Long  Viewers are invited to sing along with Pearl Bailey on this 

Walt Disney Classic Song. 

o Passing the Baton:  Making of The Fox and the Hound  This feature allows fans to take a 

deeper look at this little bit of Disney history as legendary animators hand over the reins to a 

new generation. 

The Fox and the Hound 2 : 

o “You Know I Will” Music Video – High School Musical Star Lucas Grabeel sings this end- 

credit song. 

o The Making of the Music  Music is the center stage in The Fox and the Hound 2.  As such, 

this feature showcases how the songs in the film were created with Reba McEntire, Trisha 

Yearwood and some of the hottest performers in Nashville.  Viewers will further discover how 

animation and music work together to further enhance a classic story. 

The Fox and The Hound, Disney’s 24th animated feature released in 1981, marked a ―changing of the guard∥ 

from the legendary ―nine old men,∥ including Wolfgang Reitherman, Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston, who 

had joined the studio its very early days and worked closely with Walt Disney to develop Snow White and the 

Seven Dwarfs, the very first animated feature, then went on to create timeless classics such as Cinderella, 

Bambi and Lady and the Tramp.   These iconic figures passed the torch to a new generation of animators 

including Ron Clements (Animated Screenplay/Story Artist on The Princess and the Frog, Aladdin, The Little 

Mermaid) Glen Keane (Animation Supervisor/Directing Animator on Tangled, Beauty and the Beast, Little 

Mermaid) and John Musker (Animation Supervisor/Directing Animator on Princess and the Frog, Aladdin, 

The Little Mermaid), who would lead Disney animation’s renaissance in the 1980’s with new landmark 

animated films such as The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast.   

The voice talent on The Fox and the Hound was also a mix of old and new Hollywood with veterans such as 

Mickey Rooney (National Velvet, The Black Stallion), Pearl Bailey (Porgy and Bess) and Pat Buttram (TV’s 

―Green Acres∥) joining up-and-coming stars Kurt Russell (Escape From New York, Miracle) and Corey Feldman 

(Stand By Me, The Lost Boys).   

In 2006, Copper, Tod and their friends were brought back for The Fox and the Hound 2, featuring the vocal 

talents of Patrick Swayze (Ghost, Dirty Dancing), Reba McEntire (TV’s ―Reba∥), Lucas Grabeel (Disney 

Channel’s ―High School Musical∥ franchise) and Trisha Yearwood (country music singer). 

Social Media: 

Those who want to stay connected with what’s happening with the upcoming release of The Fox and the 

Hound and The Fox and the Hound 2 are encouraged to:  

―Like∥ the Facebook page at http://www.facebook....sneyFoxandHound 

Follow on Twitter at http://twitter.com/disneyanimation  

View exciting trailers, video clips and more at http://www.youtube.com/disneymovies 

Disc Specifications: 

Street Date:  August 9, 2011 

Direct Prebook:  June 7, 2011 

Distributors Prebook: June 21, 2011  

Feature Run Time: The Fox and the Hound – approximately 83 minutes 

The Fox and the Hound 2 – approximately 69 minutes 

Rated:   G (bonus material no rated) 

Aspect Ratio:   The Fox and the Hound - 1.66:1; The Fox and the Hound 2 - 1.78:1 

Sound: 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio 

Language:  English, French and Spanish  

Subtitles:  English SDH, French and Spanish Subtitles 

Suggested Retail Price: 3-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack (1 Blu-ray + 2 DVDs) = $39.99 U.S./$46.99 

Canada; 2-Disc DVD = $29.99 U.S./$35.99 Canada; a High Definition Movie 

Download for $39.99 U.S./$45.99 Canada and/or a Standard Definition Movie 

Download for $29.99 U.S./$35.99 Canada. 

The Fox and the Hound 30th Anniversary Synopsis 

When Tod, an orphaned fox cub meets Copper, a coonhound puppy, they make a pledge to be lifelong friends, 

not realizing that Copper is being groomed to hunt wild animals, including foxes.  Copper spends the winter with 

his owner, Slade, and an older dog, Chief, tracking animals at a remote cabin. When they return, a lonely Tod 

eagerly greets his old playmate but is stunned when a reluctant Copper joins Slade and Chief to chase Tod 

through the forest.  During the pursuit, Tod escapes but Chief is seriously injured.  Seeking revenge, Copper 

hunts down Tod only to find himself confronting an even bigger enemy, which he and Tod must face together. 

The Fox and the Hound 2 Synopsis 

In The Fox and the Hound 2, music takes centerstage as Tod contemplates joining up with ―The Singin’ 

Strays,∥ a group of harmonizing dogs appearing at the local county fair but dreaming of hitting the big time at 

the Grand Ole Opry.  While Tod does his best to fit in with his new friends, Copper finds himself relegated to 

―roadie,∥ a position he begins to resent.  With the encouragement of Dixie, the ―diva∥ of ―The Singin∥ Strays,∥ 

Copper manages to sabotage an important audition.  The next day, their differences forgotten, Copper and Tod 

team up and, using Copper’s superior tracking skills, they locate the Grand Ole Opry talent scout who signs 

―The Singin’ Strays∥ (minus Tod, who chooses his friendship with Copper over fame) on the spot. 

Disney Blu-ray Combo Packs: 

To provide consumers with unprecedented quality, value and portability of their favorite Disney films, in 

2008 WDSHE pioneered the Combo Pack – a Blu-ray Disc plus a DVD and in some cases a Digital copy of 

the movie in a single package.  Current Disney films available in market as Combo Packs include Tangled, 

Sharpay’s Fabulous AdventureBeverly Hills ChihuahuaBambi, Santa Paws and Beauty and the Beast. 

About The Walt Disney Studios: 

For more than 85 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney 

Company (DIS: NYSE) was built. Today, the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to 

consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under four banners: Walt Disney Pictures, 

which includes Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Touchstone 

Pictures and Marvel. Through the Home Entertainment division, innovative distribution methods provide 

access to creative content across multiple platforms. Original music and motion picture soundtracks are 

produced under Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records, while Disney Theatrical Group produces 

and licenses live events, including Broadway theatrical productions, Disney on Ice and Disney LIVE!.  For 

more information, please visit www.disney.com

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 26 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted May 09 2011 - 09:38 AM

Finally, TFATH in its originally created aspect ratio. It has always been a little murky what ratio this was actually animated in. The Rescuers was definitely 1.66:1 and pretty much every animated feature coming after TFATH as well, so it always seemed odd that Disney claimed 1.33:1 was the correct ratio for this one.

Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein 

Aspect Ratio:   The Fox and the Hound - 1.66:1; 

#3 of 26 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,841 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted May 09 2011 - 01:56 PM

If this isn't an underwhelming 30th anniversary set, I don't know what one looks like.

#4 of 26 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,047 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted May 09 2011 - 02:11 PM

The Fox and the Hound shares a special (and horrible) place in my heart, and I will own it.. but this set doesn't look like much.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#5 of 26 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,306 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 09 2011 - 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jason_V 

If this isn't an underwhelming 30th anniversary set, I don't know what one looks like.

Well, it's better than what it got for its 25th. Then, they didn't even bother with a new transfer. This must be the first time the negatives have been run through a telecine since 1994.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#6 of 26 OFFLINE   Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted May 09 2011 - 02:41 PM

While I don't give a shit about the sequel (I've studiously avoided all of Disney's direct-to-video "cheapquels"), the original film is one of the better efforts from Disney's post-Jungle Book, pre-Little Mermaid slump, and it's great that we're finally getting a proper widescreen transfer. Posted Image

#7 of 26 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,900 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted May 10 2011 - 06:52 AM

Disney Movie Club turned this into a tease.  But I correctly guessed what it was.

Don't remember too much of this film.  Lately I've been picking up some I missed, like Beauty and the Beast.  I guess I'll do the same with this.

Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#8 of 26 OFFLINE   AlexF

AlexF

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted May 10 2011 - 09:03 AM

I find it amusing that the download versions are as expensive as the combo-pack BR... each!

#9 of 26 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,306 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 10 2011 - 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Brisby 

While I don't give a shit about the sequel (I've studiously avoided all of Disney's direct-to-video "cheapquels"), the original film is one of the better efforts from Disney's post-Jungle Book, pre-Little Mermaid slump, and it's great that we're finally getting a proper widescreen transfer. Posted Image

Is it safe to assume that the cheapquels will be tacked onto other non-Platinum/Diamond/whatever animated BDs? What about theatrical sequels (Rescuers Down Under, for instance)?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#10 of 26 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,841 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted May 10 2011 - 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by MatthewA 

Well, it's better than what it got for its 25th. Then, they didn't even bother with a new transfer. This must be the first time the negatives have been run through a telecine since 1994.

It's been a while since I spun the disc.  Kinda remember saying "meh" on all fronts at that time.

#11 of 26 OFFLINE   Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted May 10 2011 - 04:38 PM

Is it safe to assume that the cheapquels will be tacked onto other non-Platinum/Diamond/whatever animated BDs? What about theatrical sequels (Rescuers Down Under, for instance)?

There's no mention of the Lion King cheapquels being bundled with the first film. Posted Image

The Rescuers Down Under is actually vastly superior to the original film (maybe the only Disney animation sequel to be so), so I wouldn't mind a double-feature Blu of that,

#12 of 26 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,841 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted May 11 2011 - 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Brisby  There's no mention of the Lion King cheapquels being bundled with the first film. Posted Image

If I remember the specs, the uber 8 disc Lion King set will have both LK 1.5 and LK 2 on BD.

#13 of 26 OFFLINE   Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted May 11 2011 - 02:56 PM

If I remember the specs, the uber 8 disc Lion King set will have both LK 1.5 and LK 2 on BD.

Yeah, but you can just buy the first movie seperately, which is nice. With the Fox & The Hound Blu, I'll probably treat the sequel like that little cup of coleslaw you get when ordering food in a restaurant...it'll just sit there by the side of the plate, untouched, until the waiter comes along and scrapes it into the garbage. Posted Image

#14 of 26 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,165 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 11 2011 - 03:17 PM

Mmmmmmmmm.  Coleslaw.

Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#15 of 26 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,306 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 12 2011 - 01:25 AM

The one extra they should do for this film that they never will would be one dealing with the Don Bluth-staged walkout, which happened during this film's production. This era of Disney's history is seldom covered except to talk about the perceived shortcomings of the films made during this era, so it could be an interesting subject for a documentary, like the three they did before.

#16 of 26 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted May 12 2011 - 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mark-P 

Finally, TFATH in its originally created aspect ratio. It has always been a little murky what ratio this was actually animated in. The Rescuers was definitely 1.66:1 and pretty much every animated feature coming after TFATH as well, so it always seemed odd that Disney claimed 1.33:1 was the correct ratio for this one.

The instructions for projecting the movie in the pressbook list the aspect ratio at 1.75:1.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#17 of 26 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,841 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted May 12 2011 - 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brisby 

Yeah, but you can just buy the first movie seperately, which is nice. With the Fox & The Hound Blu, I'll probably treat the sequel like that little cup of coleslaw you get when ordering food in a restaurant...it'll just sit there by the side of the plate, untouched, until the waiter comes along and scrapes it into the garbage. Posted Image

In that context, quite right.  I just interpreted the comment differently.  Is TFATH 2 really that bad?

(And like Mike, I tend to like coleslaw...)

#18 of 26 OFFLINE   Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted May 12 2011 - 03:48 PM

Quote:

Is TFATH 2 really that bad?

I wouldn't know...aside from the first Land Before Time sequel (I know, I know...shame on me), I have deliberately avoided all of the spate of direct-to-video cheapquels pretty much every animated movie EVER MADE has received since the mid-90's. These aren't movies for rational adults...they're for unimaginative eight-year olds to watch while their parents are in the other room doing laundry or something. Total "video babysitter" drek.

Of course, now most animated sequels are released theatrically, because there's more profit to be had there, no matter how bad they eventually get (did we need four fucking Shrek movies? And this is coming from someone who loved the first two).

#19 of 26 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted May 12 2011 - 06:55 PM

The one extra they should do for this film that they never will would be one dealing with the Don Bluth-staged walkout, which happened during this film's production. This era of Disney's history is seldom covered except to talk about the perceived shortcomings of the films made during this era, so it could be an interesting subject for a documentary, like the three they did before.

Why would Disney do such a thing? It would make Don Bluth look bad! I'm sure they have nothing against that poor, aging twit. His premonition was that if he walked out of Disney he'd take the magic with him.  He didn't.

#20 of 26 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,306 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 12 2011 - 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ethan Riley 

Why would Disney do such a thing? It would make Don Bluth look bad! I'm sure they have nothing against that poor, aging twit. His premonition was that if he walked out of Disney he'd take the magic with him.  He didn't.

I wouldn't classify Bluth as a twit. He was a stickler for technical quality (one of his complaints was being told not to bother filling in the whites of Bernard's eyes in The Rescuers), but he was no businessman, going bankrupt more than once (unlike Walt Disney, he didn't have someone like Roy around with good business sense; God help the studio if Roy had predeceased him), and not half the storyteller Walt was. Well his early works were good (Secret of NIMH, American Tail, Land Before Time), but around the time that Disney rebounded he started to slip (Rock-a-Doodle, anyone?). I imagine some at Disney would like to make him look bad, even if one could argue that having others do theatrical-quality animation forced them to become more competitive (as well as Roy E. Disney doing everything he could to keep Michael Eisner from shutting animation down completely). That they would even make something like Waking Sleeping Beauty in the first place means that they can admit that not all was well all the time in the Magic Kingdom. Still, would any of Bluth's crew cooperate in such a film if it was made by Disney?

When Bluth took his dozen cohorts with him, that was about 10% of the staff, and it pushed back Fox & the Hound by 6 months. Even though Disney did turn out to be more successful in the long run without him, the remaining animators were split about their opinions towards him, split into camps of "Bluthies" and "Mouseketeers".

Forum Nav Content I Follow