Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Equilibrium Blu Ray (Echo Bridge)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,235 posts

Posted May 09 2011 - 07:10 AM

Does anyone have any solid info on the May 10th (tomorrow) release of Equilibrium on Blu-Ray?

All the retail websites I've checked on it still don't even have any cover art for it.

According to the distributors press release, it is in 1.77:1 format (MAR) and 2.0 Stereo Audio.  This would make it the first Blu-Ray of a movie that I want where the DVD is actually way better. (OAR and 5.1 Audio).

Just wondering if anyone actually has this disc yet and can comment on the actual format/quality/etc.

I'm familiar with Echo Bridges pathetic quality and am definitely not picking this one up before reading others opinions on it.

-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#2 of 6 Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,053 posts

Posted May 09 2011 - 07:16 AM

If you really want the film badly, there's a Region A disc available from Sony in Japan that's supposedly excellent, but expensive:

http://www.amazon.co...34&sr=1-1-spell

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#3 of 6 CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,307 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted May 09 2011 - 03:46 PM

My understanding is the Dutch version is the one to get for frugal English-speakers. It's region-free, English DTS-HD MA, and !OAR!. Trust but verify that one, I don't have it, on my back-burner until I need some more Dutch stuff.

I have the Canadian Alliance version; even though I knew it was MAR (funny how it's OK if the director [lah-deeee-dah] says MAR is not MAR...see Narnia BD apologists lol) it only costs ~$5 here and *is* noticeably better PQ than the DVD (which had mediocre PQ anyways), even if there is less pic filling more screen space... From what people have said, all the Alliance versions have been superior to the same-title Echo Bridge releases...so far. Go Dutch if you care. The UK release is no better than the Canadian one (no kidding, Momentum *is* Alliance).

#4 of 6 Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,053 posts

Posted May 11 2011 - 06:20 AM

I've heard that the Dutch version has some 1080i/50 content on it, so it may not be compatible with many North American players.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#5 of 6 Martin Henry

Martin Henry

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted May 11 2011 - 09:40 AM

Went with the Japanese disc when it was released. Pricey, but very nice.

#6 of 6 CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,307 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted May 11 2011 - 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Worth 

I've heard that the Dutch version has some 1080i/50 content on it, so it may not be compatible with many North American players.

Could be. I got my info from an Oppo BDP owner, and those have no problem with 1080i/50 content. This content is typically extras (may not be any in this case) or, more problematical for typical North American users, *forced* trailers before the main menu. There are tricks to get past this pre-menu stuff that apparently usually work, but I don't know them since I don't need to.Posted Image  It's good you brought this up, I don't like "directing" people to go out of their way to buy stuff that maybe they can't play...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users