What's new

Most appreciative in TV DVD collection? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys;

We'd have some interesting topics, including what short lived programs would we wish would come out the most, but reversing that, we have to ask, what are we MOST APPRECIATIVE that has come out on digital.

I'm most proud of my QUARK disc. I think I also like Xioalin Showdown

I'll have to think more about it, but what about you guys. What's your favorite, prized TV DVD set?

James

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
I guess for me it's Star Trek - The Next Generation because i've watched the whole set so many times,

second would be the West Wing, which i started on TV, but enjoyed so much, I gave up watching the
broadcast, and following the final 4 or 5 seasons on DVD. Third would be Smallville, which I only started

watching on DVD, after about season 4 was on TV, I started from the beginning on DVD, and have never

watched the show during broadcasts, so i'm glad DVD gave me that option.

Some of my favourite sets to own have retro value from childhood, like Superfriends. I'm really happy that

the '73-78 sets are complete. The rest would be nice, but i've got what I really want.

What I am appreciative about the DVD format is to be able to watch what I want, when I want, in any order I want, wherever I want, uninterrupted by commercials, in the original format of the show. DVD is great for that.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Boy, this is such a hard question for me to answer. I'm gonna cheat just a bit and divide my answer up into early dvd releases and more recent releases.

Hands down my most appreciated early dvd release is The Dick Van Dyke Show set put out by Image. I was so excited about that one, communicating with one of the producer's sons online as he fought to get the set out (Doug Denoff) almost a decade ago, that when the day came for that first season set to be released little else mattered to me. And those sets are high quality as well, with great extras and beautiful packaging. It was just first class all the way around.

As for more recent releases, I'll give the Complete Leave it to Beaver set my thumbs up. Great video and audio quality, along with great extras and a nice box. I'm also happy that I was able to throw away my flippers. Because I was so concerned we'd never see the remainder of the seasons released by Universal this one was a very pleasant surprise and I'm very grateful I've got the entire series.

There are so many other releases that I'm thrilled to have that if I start listing them I won't be able to stop, so I will stop right now.

Gary "very good question" O.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
This is a great question. And a hard one!

I'm with Gary on The Dick Van Dyke Show, among a few other favorites. But I guess I'm most appreciative for The Doris Day Show, because I never thought that would come out at all, let alone all 5 seasons.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Great Question and perhaps help turn this board away from being a ghost town as Gary said.

Dark Shadows hands down from VHS to DVD i have bought the entire run. I never in my life thought my most beloved series as a kid i would be able to own. Thankyou MPI!!!

VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA / THE TIME TUNNEL have to be next for me. I love these shows!

Last of course PEYTON PLACE the shout release's and my own recordings.

I still watch all of these shows at least one show per week except summer when i give Time Tunnel and Dark Shadows a rest. So i can watch my film collection more. I resume DS in August and TT in September.

I have to say i will pull out an episode of The Wild Wild West Dallas I Love Lucy The Flinstones The 1970s series Family and the first Battlestar Galactica series from time to time and not in any particular order. The Young Indiana Jones series is worth a mention.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Having the entirety of Irwin Allen's unique brand of Sci-Fi shows! (1964-1970)!

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Tie : The Larry Sanders Show / The Mary Tyler Moore Show

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I'm most appreciative of [SIZE= 14px]The Lucy Show [/SIZE]and [SIZE= 14px]Here's Lucy [/SIZE]sets. There was a time when I thought that these would never come out on DVD let alone be released in season sets. But now I am amazed that we are already 2/3rds way done with each series on DVD. I still can't believe it. And these have been wonderful as all of the episodes have been remastered and put back in unedited form. And to top it off ... each comes with lots of special features and bonus material. It is a fan's dream come true. With that said, I am especially grateful that each one of these sets have been handled with loving and tender care by devoted fans of Ms. Ball. If it wasn't for them, I don't think these sets would have been nearly as good if at all good. And as underrated as they have been in the public perception, it just gives me great pleasure to see that both [SIZE= 14px]The Lucy Show[/SIZE] and [SIZE= 14px]Here's Lucy [/SIZE]are finally getting the respect and attention they deserve ... something that has been lacking for decades.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Tor1

Having the entirety of Irwin Allen's unique brand of Sci-Fi shows! (1964-1970)!

Joe, that's one that I'm really, really thankful for as well.

Gary "Voyage is my favorite of the four shows, but all of them were neat and fun" O.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys for all the answers. So often we look at the hole and not the doughnut. We should be grateful when we get what we do want.

One factor that makes me appreciative or thankful, is when I never thought this obscure something that appeals to me (and what seems to me, alone) makes it out on digital. Something that I thought was lost, but somehow shows up.

Again, I'm glad to see that this question is getting some answers. I hope we get more.

James

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Way too hard a question. And it's hard to avoid "My Favorite Shows Are..." kind of thing.

I'm grateful for my tremendous Saturday Morning nostalgia collection which includes everything from Filmation to Krofft to the odd ODDBALL thing I used to watch. Specifically ARK II, Land of the Lost, Thundaar, Dungeons & Dragons, etc.

But one single item I treasure beyond even my favorite shows like Monty Python, Red Dwarf, Mystery Science Theater 3000 and that's this Afterschool Special that aired in 1974 called "Psst! Hammerman's After You" (aka, "18th Emergency"). I got this on VHS from a guy on the net years ago but the official DVD release was much much better. It's a great little film. I'm big on nostalgia and would probably put stuff like "Best of ZOOM", those Old School Sesame Street sets and just about anything Jim Henson (from TV shows to movies on Blu Ray) alongside this as ones I treasure the most. I'm happy those are just in the house to help me through difficult times. One note: I'm hoping they give Mister Rogers' Neighborhood a more practical DVD release. I'd add those here as well.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
There are quite a few - from obvious titles like Danger Man and Peter Gunn (UK Releases) at top the list to the obscure such as The Rogues and Mr. Terrific (German releases). And many, many other titles a few of which have been mentioned above.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
What was i thinking certainly not about the question. Here are my top picks not inventory of my collection.

DARK SHADOWS/VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA/THE TIME TUNNEL/ PEYTON PLACE/THE WILD WILD WEST

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
This is a fun question. Thankfully, it has to do with television shows. I probably could not choose if the question had to do with films.

I have three:

Dark Shadows (Collections 1-6 = Dark Shadows: The Beginning and Collections 1-26 = Dark Shadows: The Original Series)

Star Trek (TOS) (the non-remastered set)

The Outer Limits (original series) (esp. the single-sided United Kingdom set, which I purchased a few months ago and am enjoying very much)

"Dark Shadows hands down from VHS to DVD i have bought the entire run. I never in my life thought my most beloved series as a kid i would be able to own. Thankyou MPI!!!"

Seconded, Mark! :)

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I am most appreciative of my Prisoner: Cell Block H set. Only the first two years of this Australian soap opera set in a women's prison was shown in America in the early 1980s, but I had fond memories of the show and never forgot about it. I never thought I would see it again, but thanks to the invention of DVD, I am finally able to resume watching it again after a 25-year hiatus.

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Romain
That's an easy one for me: I have to give it to Everwood, because I used to think that Seasons 2 to 4 would never see the light of day on DVD, after the sales for Season 1 were so far down below expectations it resulted in a 5-year gap between the first two releases. Come August 2nd, I will finally be able to say I own this wonderful series in its entirety on DVD.

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
In the sense of I never thought it would be released - Get Smart 1995; and the "Final Sacrifice" episode of MST3K.

But I'm probably most appreciative of the MST3K sets I have. They're my "go-to" DVDs when things get rough and I need a laugh. I'll be really happy if "Agent for HARM" and "Riding With Death" ever get released but I can't complain about what's already come out.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
1-Battlestar Galactica (original) with all the special features

2-Dragnet, completed on DVD at last after so many years of waiting to see it unstalled

bobPON

Stunt Coordinator
Without a doubt number 1 is Combat.

Danger Man/Secret Agent Man would be next

When/if 77 Sunset Strip comes out it will probably be my no. 1

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks