What's new

Can a Bose 321 Acoustimass Series 1 be used with another receiver? (1 Viewer)

shimikiah

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
Trying to figure out a way to hook up a Bose 321 Acoustimass Series 1 to a Sony receiver to be used as a subwoofer for a friend. I've advised that this is probably not the best route if it is even possible, but they still want to try it. The input on the back of the acoustimass is the 15 pin proprietary cable. I've found a cable on ebay that is for an acoustimass 10, 15, 16 that has the same output, but I'm skeptical that it would work as it is for a 5.1 system where the 321 is supposed to be 2.1. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The Bose "bass module" is not a true subwoofer and it is not designed to be used with anything other than with Bose's own components. Even if your friend could somehow Frankencable this thing onto a real 5.1 home theater system, it isn't physically capable of doing the job. If money is the issue your friend won't really be saving much by hanging oto the Acoustimass. Better to sell the whole 321 system to someone else and buy even a cheap subwoofer than try to use the "bsss module" as one. (You can get a perfectly servicable Polk for $90 new and even better models for the same price on the used and refurb markets.)

There is a reason that folks say, "No highs, no lows, it must be Bose."

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks