Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What amp to get for this setup?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   Mrhanky5555

Mrhanky5555

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted May 06 2011 - 07:39 PM

New to this forum.  any info/help would be greatly appreciated. I wanna do an all room integrated sound system connected to my imac.  A bit confused on which speaker/amp combo will be good for me.   I know i wanna go with ceiling mounted speakers.  Ive been looking at yamahas ceiling mount speakers but there all 8ohm, but the outdoor speakers i want are 6ohm.  Dont know if theres an amp that has outputs for both 6ohm and 8ohm?  also dont know how many channels i need? I was thinking about two dual voice coil speakers (yamaha NS-ICS600), one each for bedroom and hallway so i can get stereo sound from one speaker. 4  2-way speakers (yamaha NS-IW560c).  A pair each for the kitchen and living room. For outside i wanna mount two yamaha NS-AW592,  which are the 6ohm speakers.  And 1 stereo boston acoustic rock speaker RK6T2. Im not sure how many channels i need for all these speakers on the amp?  Really confused.  PLEASE HELP. Thanks Dan

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,797 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted May 07 2011 - 01:18 PM

Most receivers are designed for 8 ohm speakers and will power 6 ohm speakers without any issues. It's 4 ohm or less that can cause problems.

As for the speakers in different rooms, do you want them to run independant of each other or all from the same source component? It looks like you will need a receiver with at least 2 Zones and either a speaker switch or a multi-channel amplifier (assuming the receiver has the proper pre-outs) that can power several sets of speakers from a single two channel choice. This is the type of amplifier you would find in a store or restaurant. I have an 8 channel  Knoll amp (http://www.knollsyst...rod-amp-4k.html) which has a feature called Channel Link which would work for this. 2 channels in (from the receivers pre-outs) and 8 channels to the speakers in various rooms.

A receiver with the Zone 2 option and a speaker switcher http://www.amazon.co...&sr=1-2-catcorr (???) might be an easier option. Maybe others can come up with even better ideas.

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users