What's new

VIVA ZAPATA! (Fox, 1952) with Marlon Brando and Anthony Quinn (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The only collaboration between John Steinbeck and Elia Kazan has not had a DVD release in the USA, although at one time it was planned as part of Fox Studio Classics series.

I recently took a chance on this edition from Mexico:

which can be bought here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002H0OFKW

Although the cover art is in Spanish, the DVD offers a good quality transfer of the standard English print of the film. Not perfect, but a really good transfer about equal to the other DVD's in the Studio Classics series. I expect this is how it would look if released in the USA, Much sharper and cleaner than the VHS. Except for optional subtitles in English, Spanish, and Portuguese, there are no supplements.

Fox's Mexican DVD is the best way to watch ¡ Viva Zapata! on home video. I recommend it.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The film is also available from Great Britain via Amazon.co.uk for a reasonable price. I have that edition and it's quite good.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Thanks for the reminder of the U.K. edition. I forgot to point out the Mexican edition is in NTSC region 1. There is no 4% PAL speed up. Makes a big difference. This is why I recommend the Mexican edition over the U.K. for USA viewers.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
It is available in the states....but only as a part of the Elia Kazan boxset. I just watched it last night. I was a tad underwhelmed by the film...but happy to see it nonetheless.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I forgot about the Kazan box-set. Too pricey for me. I'll stick with this Mexican import for now.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Only Kazan-Steinbeck collaboration? What about East of Eden?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have the UK release, but will be patient by not buying this Mexican release because I believe with it being in the Kazan boxset, I think it will get a separate release in Region 1.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I'm sure you're right, but my patience waiting for an individual release in region 1 ran out.

Originally Posted by MLamarre

Only Kazan-Steinbeck collaboration? What about East of Eden?

You have a point there.

However, if I remember correctly, Paul Osborn wrote the screenplay to East of Eden, adapting Steinbeck's novel. Steinbeck did not write the piece in collaboration with Kazan. On the other hand, Viva Zapata! is an original screenplay by Steinbeck written for Kazan. So far as I know, it's his only original screenplay.

Steinbeck collaborated with Mexican writer-director Emilio Fernandez on writing La Perla (The Pearl, 1947), adapting his short novel. That is Steinbeck's finest work in my opinion, a masterpiece and a milestone. Try to get the Alter Films limited edition. Although not restored, it is transferred from the original camera negative and has optional English subtitles.

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
I have the Kazan box and I had the UK version of Viva Zapata. As far as I could tell they used exactly the same transfer. Of course one is NTSC and the other PAL, but I couldn't really say which one was better than the other. The R1 version in the Kazan box doesn't have any extras. It may of had a trailer but that isn't really an extra.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Originally Posted by ShowsOn

I have the Kazan box and I had the UK version of Viva Zapata. As far as I could tell they used exactly the same transfer. Of course one is NTSC and the other PAL, but I couldn't really say which one was better than the other. The R1 version in the Kazan box doesn't have any extras. It may of had a trailer but that isn't really an extra.

It had the trailer, although the section in the book that came with the box set could also qualify as an extra

Pete York

Supporting Actor
For anyone interested, the Kazan set is currently at Amazon, Gold Boxed at $70 for this afternoon.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Well, next time I get $70 to spend all in one place maybe the Kazan box will still be on sale.

I would be very surprised if the Mexican DVD, which I linked above and which I recommend, does not use the exact same transfer as that in Kazan box. Both are from Fox.

I gather the Kazan box DVD has supplements, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks