Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Can Amazon stand above the fray and make sense of the Android / tablet mess?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
460 replies to this topic

#401 of 461 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,179 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted September 06 2012 - 03:18 PM

What was the conclusion on whispersync of Audible and maybe getting Kindle version with Audible purchase? I'm an Audible subscriber, so might be f benefit to me.

#402 of 461 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,646 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted September 07 2012 - 06:13 AM

No clue Dave. Verge looks at the strategy here: http://www.theverge....tablet-strategy

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#403 of 461 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,646 posts

Posted September 07 2012 - 06:30 AM

Cool AND creepy! http://techcrunch.co...tion-wait-what/

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#404 of 461 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,179 posts

Posted September 07 2012 - 11:14 AM

I think some under-estimate the appeal of that data plan. I pay AT&T $15/mo for 200MB on my iPhone. Amazon is offering $4/mo for 250 MB!?!? That's about 500% cheaper! The mind reels. It makes me wonder if and why I'm being ripped off on iPhone and iPad data.

#405 of 461 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,390 posts

Posted September 07 2012 - 01:40 PM

You already answered that. It's AT&T.

#406 of 461 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted September 07 2012 - 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill 

The prices are still pretty amazing coming from Amazon...

Huh?  How do they justify that comparison for data plan???  That's not just specious, but pretty much an outright lie about the iPad side, no?

Assuming iPad3 data plan rates haven't changed since launch (w/out me noticing), I'm paying $20/month (or $240/year) for 1GB/month w/ Verizon -- even w/ AT&T, you're talking $15/month (or $180/year, not $230/year) for the 250MB/month quoted, and I don't see why anyone would get an LTE iPad3 only to save $5/month on AT&T vs Verizon and get that much less data for it, especially since you can always swap SIM cards to switch carriers (and go for the best option for you) to boot.

OR I guess they're including the 20GB Cloud storage *plus* that $10 store credit in the numbers.  I don't use Cloud services, but I guess they're suggesting 20GB of iCloud storage would cost $40/year?  I guess that's fine if you want to do that.

Originally Posted by DaveF 

I think some under-estimate the appeal of that data plan. I pay AT&T $15/mo for 200MB on my iPhone. Amazon is offering $4/mo for 250 MB!?!? That's about 500% cheaper! The mind reels. It makes me wonder if and why I'm being ripped off on iPhone and iPad data.

I'm wondering something about smartphone data plans.  Do they charge the usual, high tax+fees on the data plan cost for smartphones like they do for voice+text?  I have no clue since my BB is completely handled by the company -- I don't see any bills for it.  I'm asking this because I've been happy to see that they don't do that for the iPad's data plan (at least w/ Verizon anyway).  Just wondering if that needs to be factored in as well for that sort of comparison.

Anyway, like I said above, I get 1GB/month for $20/month w/ Verizon -- and 1GB seems plenty for my/our uses since I/we rarely stream anything at all.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#407 of 461 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,646 posts

Posted September 07 2012 - 03:12 PM

Yep, you missed the intro of the cheap data plan. It's real and has been there close or over a year.

#408 of 461 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,646 posts

Posted September 09 2012 - 03:18 AM

Flip floppin on ads: http://arstechnica.c...ire-for-15-fee/

#409 of 461 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,646 posts

Posted September 12 2012 - 01:09 AM

Review are in. This is NOT good.

However, after testing the 7-inch Kindle Fire HD, I can’t agree with the sweeping claim that it is “the best tablet at any price.” The Fire HD isn’t as polished, fluid or versatile as the iPad. It offers only a fraction of the third-party apps available on either the iPad or the Nexus 7 (and other standard Android tablets). I found that after prolonged use, the Fire HD showed signs of latency—apps and content displayed delays in launching. This latency disappeared after a reboot. The Fire HD also assaults users with ads occupying the entire screen every time they start or resume using it. You have to pay Amazon another $15, using an obscure setting on a Web page, to escape these ads. And there are pitches to buy more content on many other screens, even those displaying your already-purchased content.

Remember that the original was janky for the first day of release too and a patch on day two fixed a lot. That isn't going to fix the shitty ad situation tho. http://allthingsd.co...t-color-tablet/

There are two devices in this review. The first is something like an appliance — a window through which you casually view content, a way to listen to music, an e-reader for the train ride home. On that device, things like a big app selection or elaborate user experience take a back seat to content selection, price point, and simplicity. On that device, it's not about going toe-to-toe with the competition in every way (as Amazon seems to want to do), it's about offering a lot of fun stuff to consumers, and getting them to consume more. As that device, the Fire HD is a complete success. A marvel of bottom-line engineering and incredibly clever subsidies. It's a really, really good tablet for doing some very specific things. But there's a second tablet in the review as well. One that gets compared to the iPad and Nexus 7. One that I expect to do more than just show me movies or help me shop. One that should be a companion for all kinds of things I want to do, that doesn't feel limited, that doesn't respond to my touches slowly, that doesn't make me wait. As that device, the Fire HD still has a long way to go. I think it can get there, but it isn't there yet.

http://www.theverge....d-review-7-inch

#410 of 461 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,390 posts

Posted September 12 2012 - 01:20 AM

It really looked like the same old shit when Dean Pelton annouced it. And where Google trimmed the side bezels in portrait mode to give it a sleeker shape, Amazon when for huge, symmetrical bezels, making it almost .75" wider. Between the fat bezel and overly simplified launcher, the Fire reminds me more of a Leapster Pad than an iPad.

#411 of 461 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,390 posts

Posted September 12 2012 - 01:28 AM

I already posted this in the Apple forum, but it seemed to be more at home here:

The Fire series performs a subset of what an iPad can do. With the Amazon Streaming app available on iOS, there's really nothing a Fire does that an iPad can't do but a shit ton the iPad does that the Fire is ill suited for. If/when the Amazon Streaming app comes to Android, there will be zero reason to buy the Fire over any other brand name Android tablet as well.

Zero.

Too many people were burned by the Fire last time. Unless the reviews are airtight and awesome, it's not going to replicate any of the success the original one had, which sold on goodwill as much as price.

#412 of 461 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,449 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted September 26 2012 - 04:22 AM

Barnes and Noble just introduced the Nook HD and Nook HD+... http://www.barnesand.../nook/379003208

#413 of 461 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted September 26 2012 - 05:02 AM

So the plot thickens just that extra bit.  I wonder how it compares in actual practice/performance -- of course, lots of folks will be more interested in trying to root it and install some other custom ROMs instead.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#414 of 461 Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,273 posts

Posted September 26 2012 - 05:14 AM

I Picked up a Fire HD and Like it alot , it's perfect for compiling all the Amazon Ecosystem, and it does what no other tablet I've owned ever did, provides a great experience overall watching videos, with excellent Video, and fantastic Audio that is unmatched by any tablet I've owned.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#415 of 461 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,646 posts

Posted October 04 2012 - 04:39 PM

I like my Fire HD but if you put it and the original fire next to each other I'd have a hard time figuring out which one to grab from just the front display and in actual use I'd have to really put it through its paces to do so. This is a compliment to just what the original fire was able to accomplish at $199 a year ago more than a ding against this year's rev. Either way my nephew got my old one and I get the new one so everyone wins. On the other hand I've been using my paperwhite for 2 ays now and it AWESOME. It is soooooo much faster and more responsive than the old kindle touch it is not even worth comparison. The screen whiteness is awesome in use, even during day time. The ONLY downside is that the backlighting is VERY uneven on mine. Bet they nail that next rev.

#416 of 461 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,179 posts

Posted October 04 2012 - 11:34 PM

Want the paper white!

#417 of 461 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,179 posts

Posted February 09 2013 - 02:56 AM

Got the paper white for Christmas and its been great. The touchscreen is a huge upgrade from the keyboard kindle. The backlight is a game changer for reading in bed. I love this device.

#418 of 461 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,646 posts

Posted July 30 2013 - 10:21 AM

Rumored specs sound like winners to me if they are indeed true:

http://bgr.com/2013/...pecs-exclusive/

Kindle Fire has really grown on me, simple access to android apps makes this a perfect in-bed content chewing device for me, I use it a lot more than my Nexus device which fills a similar role in not leaving the house with me.  My full size iPad remains my device of choice of course, but the 7" factor has grown on me (so long as I'm not actually trying to DO anything with it more than fire off angry birds) and the price is right.

Dave, I love my Paperwhite as well.  It's the best book-reading kindle they have ever made.  I am super impressed with it.

#419 of 461 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,179 posts

Posted July 31 2013 - 06:45 PM

For the avid reader, i dont think you can beat the paperwhite. but for me, I'm starting to wonder if a Retina iPad mini could replace both kindle and iPad.

Edited by DaveF, July 31 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#420 of 461 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,646 posts

Posted August 23 2013 - 09:42 AM

Interesting, I would have thought they would have tried an MVNO but this might make more sense:

http://gigaom.com/20...licensed-wi-fi/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users