What's new

THE YARDS Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

The Yards (Blu-ray)

This is warning, not a review. The Yards is a standard-issue tale of crime and corruption in Brooklyn that’s elevated by a first-rate cast including James Caan, Ellen Burstyn, Charlize Theron, Joaquin Phoenix, Faye Dunaway and Mark Wahlberg. Released in 1999, the film was written and directed by James Gray, who would later make We Own the Night. In addition to the cast, the film is strengthened by dark, brooding cinematography by ace DP Harris Savides (Zodiac, Milk, Somewhere) – the kind of tricky material that needs Blu-ray’s resolution to give it its due.

Unfortunately, The Yards is one of the titles that the newly reconstituted Miramax licensed to Echo Bridge, whose May 3, 2011 Blu-ray release isn’t fit for landfill. Echo Bridge has taken this 2.35:1 film, shot in anamorphic Panavision, and cropped it to 1.78:1, the HD version of pan and scan. They’ve also released the film with only a 2.0 sound track, and while the track may be mastered in DTS lossless, as far I’m concerned, it’s a step backward in sonic quality from the lossy 5.1 soundtrack used on all previous DVDs. And, of course, none of the many previously released extras has been included.

Pan and scan discs don’t deserve a detailed review. Proceed at your own risk.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ Have you (or anyone) seen the new From Dusk Till Dawn or Halloween H20 discs?

Over at Aint It Cool News, they said that Dusk was a mess. Here's their very short review: "I fucking love FROM DUSK TILL DAWN. That said – though listed at under $10 over at Amazon – this is a crap release of the title. Wrong aspect ratio. Colors out of whack. Seriously – how does this even happen? Not worth $10 like this." I've never put much faith in Harry's disc review skills (and that faith isn't growing when he appears to think that 1.77 is the wrong aspect raio for a 1.85 movie) but it seems like something is up with alot of these Echo Bridge titles.

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
Join the fight against Echo Bridge... http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_210622558962846

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Pick up the Canadian version of Dusk Til Dawn on BD...original aspect ratio (quality is better than i expected), sound in DTS-HD 5.1 (the back incorrectly states just DTS 5.1). No extras, but A/V quality are what you would expect given the age and quality of the source material.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by JoshB

Pick up the Canadian version of Dusk Til Dawn on BD...original aspect ratio (quality is better than i expected), sound in DTS-HD 5.1 (the back incorrectly states just DTS 5.1). No extras, but A/V quality are what you would expect given the age and quality of the source material.

Yup, I bought that Canadian release back in 2008.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I was holding off purchasing the Alliance versions of most Miramax films, hoping to see better American versions, but now I'm looking to pick up a copy of anything in which I'm seriously interested, unless it's been announced by Lionsgate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks