Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What Are Some Good Imports That'll Work in Region A?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 OFFLINE   Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 839 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted May 03 2011 - 04:53 AM

I've only bought two myself so far:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (theatrical release). UK edition, region free. This is a very nice disc. The video and audio (DTS-HD 7.1) are stellar and until we here in the US get a Blu-ray of the director's edition, this will do just fine. $25 shipped. I think this disc is identical to the one in the boxed set already released in the US, but I didn't want to get all the films.

The Deer Hunter. UK edition, regions A&B. I only recently ordered this, but the reviews are very good. $30 shipped. Will try to get a brief review up after I receive it.

Are there some others out there anyone would care to recommend?

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#2 of 25 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Screenwriter

• 1,341 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted May 03 2011 - 05:01 AM

The Boat that Rocked is much better, longer, and nuder than the lame American edit called Pirate Radio.

Phantom of the Paradise, Brian De Palma's classic horror satire of 70's music business, is only available through a French import that plays in Region A. But you have to remember to disable the French subtitles.

And I just watched the UK release of Dances With Wolves, which preserves the three-hour theatrical cut and not the unnecessarily longer (not that there's anything wrong with that for super fans) four-hour director's cut, which is the only version available stateside.

#3 of 25 OFFLINE   Martin Teller

Martin Teller

Screenwriter

• 2,414 posts

Posted May 04 2011 - 03:19 AM

I've got Once, A Zed and Two Noughts and just yesterday my Taiwanese copy of Vive L'Amour arrived.

#4 of 25 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,043 posts

Posted May 04 2011 - 04:43 AM

Like Wayne, I have the UK theatrical version of Dances with Wolves.  Same with Watchmen and the shorter international version of The Shining (which was Kubrick's preferred version, as I understand it).  I also have the Canadian "Philosopher's Stone" version of the first Harry Potter movie, and the Japanese version of Equilibrium (which was retitled Rebellion there), whose UK & Canadian releases are not OAR.

As for titles that are not available at all in the US, I have Meet Joe Black and Caché/Hidden from the UK, The Cell from Canada, and Cube from the Netherlands.  Caché and Cube both have PAL material on them that might cause problems for US players, but the main features play just fine.

#5 of 25 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,455 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted May 05 2011 - 11:07 AM

I have the following UK discs: Dances With Wolves theatrical, The Elephant Man, and Boys From Brazil. I also have the Canadian Amelie (US version finally announced for July) and City of God. Very happy with each one.

#6 of 25 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,859 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 05 2011 - 12:52 PM

UK disk - TORA, TORA, TORA.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#7 of 25 ONLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 844 posts

Posted May 05 2011 - 01:06 PM

Is the UK Tora disc region A friendly?

#8 of 25 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted May 05 2011 - 01:34 PM

The Buddy Holly Story....

Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#9 of 25 OFFLINE   jim_falconer

jim_falconer

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted May 05 2011 - 02:03 PM

The UK version of ZULU is outstanding (and region free)

#10 of 25 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted May 05 2011 - 02:03 PM

I have the Dutch The Never Ending Story, the UK Capricorn One, and the French Dune (1984)

Also have the Canadian Region A From Dusk til Dawn. I understand it along with Halloween H2O to be better than the US versions.

#11 of 25 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted May 05 2011 - 03:05 PM

I have 2 of them:

Terminator Salvation - UK T-600 Endoskull Boxset.....bought it strictly for the skull when it was on sale around december for about 20 pounds at Amazon UK (It's 23.47 pounds right now).  It's currently having a staredown match with my T-800 endoskull from across the living room. Posted Image

Machete - HMV UK Exclusive Steelbook .......same extras as the region A edition.....bought it for the beautiful steelbook it comes in.

Both discs play just fine on my PS3.....the discs are region A+B enabled.

Recently watched- Lethal Weapon, Home Alone 2: Lost In New York, Home Alone, An American Christmas Carol, It's A Spongebob Christmas!, Four Christmases, Love & Other Drugs, Assault On Precinct 13(1976), Lovejoy Christmas Specials, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963)

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Keep the change your filthy animal!"

#12 of 25 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted May 05 2011 - 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by trajan 

Is the UK Tora disc region A friendly?

Yes, as is the UK Blu-ray release of Prince Valiant, Sunrise, and City Girl

#13 of 25 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,043 posts

Posted May 05 2011 - 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by RickER 

I have the Dutch The Never Ending Story

Is it different than or superior to the US release in some way?

#14 of 25 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted May 05 2011 - 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by cafink 

Is it different than or superior to the US release in some way?

I saw some screen grabs ( never cared for them much myself) that showed the US version was much darker than the Dutch release. I never bought the US disc for myself, so i couldnt tell you if it really is darker. http://www.avsforum....d.php?t=1234653

I had bought the Dutch version a year or two before the US disc came out. I thought what were the odds of this movie coming to Blu, in the US. I believe the running time is the same for the Dutch, and US discs.

#15 of 25 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,719 posts

Posted May 05 2011 - 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Joseph J.D 

Terminator Salvation - UK T-600 Endoskull Boxset.....bought it strictly for the skull when it was on sale around december for about 20 pounds at Amazon UK (It's 23.47 pounds right now).  It's currently having a staredown match with my T-800 endoskull from across the living room. Posted Image

Any chance we could talk you into taking a picture of that?  That's just a great visual!

#16 of 25 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted May 06 2011 - 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Steinberg 

Any chance we could talk you into taking a picture of that?  That's just a great visual!

Unfortunately they're too far apart for a photo as they are....the T-800 sits on top of my center speaker on my home theater cabinet while the T-600 sits in between 2 rear speakers on top of a large DVD/BD cabinet 16 feet across the room.

Recently watched- Lethal Weapon, Home Alone 2: Lost In New York, Home Alone, An American Christmas Carol, It's A Spongebob Christmas!, Four Christmases, Love & Other Drugs, Assault On Precinct 13(1976), Lovejoy Christmas Specials, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963)

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Keep the change your filthy animal!"

#17 of 25 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted May 06 2011 - 06:07 PM

UK "The Black Shield of Falworth" - first Universal CinemaScope film.

#18 of 25 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted May 07 2011 - 05:25 AM

StudioCanal's releases of Mulholland Drive, The Elephant Man and Delicatessen are very much worth the trouble of importing. Wild at Heart looks decent too. And of course every region free title released by Eureka. City Girl and Sunrise look amazing.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#19 of 25 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Screenwriter

• 1,341 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted May 07 2011 - 05:49 AM

I ordered Mulholland Drive, but had to cancel it when I found it was not compatible for Region A. Are you sure this is a 'region-free' release playable in U.S. domestic BD players? Most UK imports are, I realize, but this one supposedly wasn't. If so, I'm all over it. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Brian Borst 

StudioCanal's releases of Mulholland Drive, The Elephant Man and Delicatessen are very much worth the trouble of importing. Wild at Heart looks decent too. And of course every region free title released by Eureka. City Girl and Sunrise look amazing.

#20 of 25 OFFLINE   Claus Nielsen

Claus Nielsen

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted May 07 2011 - 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic 

I ordered Mulholland Drive, but had to cancel it when I found it was not compatible for Region A. Are you sure this is a 'region-free' release playable in U.S. domestic BD players? Most UK imports are, I realize, but this one supposedly wasn't. If so, I'm all over it. Thanks.

Mulholland Drive is region B locked.