Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Are There Specs on "Once Upon a Time in the West" Yet?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#21 of 84 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted June 02 2011 - 12:41 AM

benbess i love it when people say the words "i have not seen this one yet "

sometimes i feel there should be a place called Lacuna inc. where like in Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind,they could erase a specific part of your mind so

i could say "just erase all the films i've ever seen and then i could restart again to have first times.

Very lucky my friend !

I dont like hyping too much,but i can safely say if you watch this in the best conditions possible (meaning go to the john before,get the dog out,put the kids to bed

unplug the phone,make a sandwich,not like the Epicmealtime guys,just a regular sandwich..did i forget anything ? )

then you should view what most people call a masterpiece.

Now i can't wait for YOUR review.

Ditto!!  Especially the Lacuna part.  I would love to be able to experience this film for the first time again.....and again......and again.....and again........................................................

#22 of 84 Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted June 02 2011 - 12:54 AM

Anyone seeing this movie for the first time ever on Blu-ray (as opposed to my VHS) is very lucky. Second only to the theatrical people.

Seems like the floodgates are opening for Blu. My collection's getting pretty respectable with regard to classics. Having the "Dollars" trilogy and this in high definition is pretty great:)

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#23 of 84 benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,817 posts

Posted June 02 2011 - 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by montrealfilmguy 

benbess i love it when people say the words "i have not seen this one yet "

sometimes i feel there should be a place called Lacuna inc. where like in Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind,they could erase a specific part of your mind so

i could say "just erase all the films i've ever seen and then i could restart again to have first times.

Very lucky my friend !

I dont like hyping too much,but i can safely say if you watch this in the best conditions possible (meaning go to the john before,get the dog out,put the kids to bed

unplug the phone,make a sandwich,not like the Epicmealtime guys,just a regular sandwich..did i forget anything ? )

then you should view what most people call a masterpiece.

Now i can't wait for YOUR review.

Oh, my review won't be much compared to yours. But at least all of your comments got me to go to amzn and buy the darn thing. I truthfully have a couple of dozen blu-rays that I've never even watched once at this point, and I was waiting to get through that back log, and perhaps get a price drop, before buying Once. But since it's only $15 already, and you folks are talking about it, I went ahead and got it. Put in Grand Prix for good measure too.

It is amazing how close a good blu-ray is to the cinema experience. I have fond memories of my childhood visits to revival theaters, but often the prints they were showing were cra*. The thing missing in the HT experience (unless I get my kids or wife to watch with me) is the audience. But that's where this site takes up the slack. It's not quite the same as watching with people, but it's a bit like chewing over the film over coffee after it gets out.

There are quite a few classic movies that I've seen for the first time on blu, including HTWWW, South Pacific and so many others....And this and Grand Prix will be two more I've never seen before, even once.

#24 of 84 Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted June 02 2011 - 02:56 AM

Well, I for one appreciate any and all thoughts on this disc. It's very interesting to me to read opinions from all walks of life.

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#25 of 84 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,679 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 02 2011 - 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Cinescott 

Well, I for one appreciate any and all thoughts on this disc. It's very interesting to me to read opinions from all walks of life.

That's one of the things I love about the HTF in general--it's a place to hear so many different points-of-view on the films and their home presentation.

And because of this thread, OUATITW has also been ordered from amazon by me.

I expected to stick with my DVD copy...but I'm a sucker when I hear remarks like those made in this thread.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#26 of 84 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,558 posts

Posted June 02 2011 - 06:36 AM

I plan on viewing this title this evening; based on some of the comments I've read I hope it will approach The Big Country in terms of the transfer being relevatory.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#27 of 84 montrealfilmguy

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor

• 541 posts

Posted June 02 2011 - 08:18 AM

I had bought the 2-disc dvd and clearly  the picture quality was awesome

When i was little, i remember watching on tv one night with the family,the promotion for the film was weeks in advance,so

it was kind of a big night to watch classics and all.

Now of course,everything was  cinematic gold,the larger-than-life characters,the aural impact of the gunshots,the credits sequence

with Bronson and the timeless beauty of Cardinale.

But the one thing,the single thing that had the most impact on me,and moved my tiny 9-year old heart was Edda Dell'Orso's ethereal

voice.Up until then i had never heard such a sadness in wordless vocals like hers.

#28 of 84 Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted June 02 2011 - 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by montrealfilmguy 

But the one thing,the single thing that had the most impact on me,and moved my tiny 9-year old heart was Edda Dell'Orso's ethereal

voice.Up until then i had never heard such a sadness in wordless vocals like hers.

Yes. It breaks my heart every time I hear it. What a pure, sad vocal performance. Incredible. Sadly, I'll have to wait another day to personally sample the disc, since it did not arrive in my mail todayPosted Image

#29 of 84 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,628 posts

Posted June 02 2011 - 02:02 PM

Have only seen this film once when it came out on DVD some

5 years ago (I am estimating).

I would have to say, from that single viewing, it ranks as one

of my most favorite westerns and I am very much looking forward

to viewing my Blu-ray copy this weekend if time finally permits.

I just glanced at the cover when it arrived, and I may be wrong

about this, but...

Are there two versions of the film on this disc?  If so, which one

is the recommended watch?

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#30 of 84 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,558 posts

Posted June 02 2011 - 02:42 PM

Just finished watching the Blu-ray.  Great, great presentation of Leone's masterpiece.  Just a stellar viewing experience that was flawless.  With the releases of The Ten Commandments, The Big Country, Barry Lyndon, and Once Upon A Time In The West - film enthusiasts are being well served by beautiful presentations of classic films.  I know that I'm leaving out other great 2011 releases of older, classic films - but the four I listed all look incredible.

Back to the topic of this thread - the level of detail in this presentation was impressive.  Thankfully edge enhancement was absent which assisted the Blu-ray in providing a truly film-like presentation.  I have to echo the sentiment expressed earlier in this thread - I envy those of you who are experiencing this incredible film for the first time on Blu-ray.  What a great way to experience a treasure like this one.

Wow - just a great Blu-ray and easily one of my favorite discs of the year.

Ron - I cannot recount the differences but I think the running time difference is negligible.  I viewed the restored version.  The viewer is presented with that choice from the disc menu.

- Walter.

#31 of 84 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,558 posts

Posted June 02 2011 - 03:01 PM

Thanks, Ben. This is Leone's biggest "scope" Western, portions of which were actually filmed in the American West (the Monument Valley sequences). 

One of the major themes of OUATITW is the passing of the "old" West as civilization, epitomized by the Railroad, encroaches.  There is no better place on Earth to reference the old West than Monument Valley.

(At least that is my opinion on one possible reason Leone used the location.)

- Walter.

#32 of 84 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,679 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 03 2011 - 02:27 AM

Glad I didn't push that "Order" button too quickly.

Target is going to have this title (and Rio Lobo and "more in store") for just $10 next week.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#33 of 84 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,628 posts

Posted June 03 2011 - 02:29 AM

That's a GREAT deal, Mike.

Hopefully others reading your post will take advantage

of the sale next week.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#34 of 84 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,679 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 03 2011 - 03:11 AM

And I would suspect Amazon will likely be price-matching once the sale actually begins...

#35 of 84 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,560 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted June 03 2011 - 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon 

Glad I didn't push that "Order" button too quickly.

Target is going to have this title (and Rio Lobo and "more in store") for just $10 next week.

Thanks Mike.  I have never seen this.  $10 sounds more than reasonable based on the comments here in the thread.

#36 of 84 Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted June 03 2011 - 03:53 AM

That's the deal of the century for this title. Wow.

#37 of 84 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted June 03 2011 - 04:39 AM

$10!!!

For that, I might buy a backup copy!! Posted Image

#38 of 84 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,536 posts

Posted June 03 2011 - 06:54 AM

Glad I saved my Best Buy receipt - will be pricematching for sure next week! And I've gotten to enjoy it all this week...Posted Image

#39 of 84 Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted June 03 2011 - 07:07 AM

Thank you Paramount! Yes! I got this disc today and OMG, it is perfect. The sharpness, contrast, blacks, everything is right on. Every bead of sweat in those gorgeous Leone faces comes out in amazing detail. Claudia Cardinale is better eye candy than ever. Personally, I can't imagine even a theatrical projection looking any better. Paramount has given OUATITW an amazing "film-like" presentation on Blu-ray. The whole thing is a work of Blu-ray art. I couldn't see any signs of "tinkering" with the image; there's a pretty consistent light amount of grain and detail just seems to pop out of it. Red dirt from Utah, sun-baked desert, the metal on a gun barrel, everything is perfect. The Ennio Morricone score sounds incredible in DTS MA.

Considering how good this looks, I can't help but think that some significant effort went into the transfer (a.k.a. money). If so, I hope Paramount makes a fortune, because they deserve to be rewarded for an effort like this. I wish I could put all the powers that be in Blu-ray in a big room, lock the door, throw the disc for OUATITW on a table and say "this is how it's done. Look at it. Study it. Learn from it and do all your catalog titles like this one in the future." I can dream, can't I??

#40 of 84 montrealfilmguy

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor

• 541 posts

Posted June 03 2011 - 08:08 AM

good news and bad news here in Montreal

good news is -everybody seems to be sold out _Futureshop,Metrovideo onSt-Catherine,HMV downtown...which shows that

people do love the classics on Bluray

bad news is -everybody seems to be sold out so for me its this smiley (and lemme tell ya its not even smiling really ) Posted Image

(Ben goes out with his harmonica,looking for duster-wearing varmints )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users