What's new

X-files on BD anytime soon ? (1 Viewer)

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
If there's one series that warrants it,surely it's this one.
Creepy moody lighting and monster-of-the-week episodes ,well at least for the first 3 seasons then it all got way too confusing...

the whole alien conspiracy really turned me off when it got too convoluted.

this guy here is an alien,but a good guy finally,and this fella here is a G-man but on the bad side,and this one seems to be really bad
but in effect he's helping things out and this alien just hopes of becoming David Icke...

anyways,still what's the story on that ?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The X-Files was edited on standard def video so they'd need to go back to the film they shot to make an HD transfer, edit the film (since the edits were only done on videotape) and also re-do the special effects at 1080p. That's an extremely costly process for 202 episodes so, if it happens, it'll probably be a long time.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
why re-do the SPFX at all ?

I'm sure they hold out very well,and i'm not sure there is a need for it at all.Considering its a classic series,i think people will accept it,flaws and all.

We're not talking 1960's Star Trek and not everyone wants a George lucas facelift.

hey,just saw your location...are you creepy Mulder ?
got any recent pics of Scully ?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by montrealfilmguy
why re-do the SPFX at all ?
Because their resolution is only 480p so they'd stick out like a sore thumb when combined with a 1080p transfer of the filmed elements. Unfortunately, it's not just special effects either. Since they were editing on video, things that you don't realize are an edit like a slight zoom-in on a shot to crop something out or dissolves from one scene to another also have to 'upgraded' for 1080p. If they don't go back and upgrade all the video effects (special effects, zooms, dissolves, everything they did that was only exists in 480p video), the episodes could suddenly go from 1080p in one shot to 480p in the next and then back to a 1080p shot.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news and I'd love to be wrong but I think it'll be a long time until Fox brings popular shows like The X-Files or Buffy The Vampire Slayer to Blu-ray only because of the expense of getting it up to HD standards.

And I think you might be the only person here who ever noted my (fake) location.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
rumor mill at bits has this as a possibility just like ST:TNG now if Fox really wanted to hit it out of the park, the would be working on this and Outer Limits 63

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I read it as more than just a possibility. I read it as "get rid of the DVD's in your collection; the sets are on the way." Bill's words say "if everything goes well," so something could still become a problem, but I'd plan on seeing at least S1 at the end of 2013.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
SimonTemplar said:
I hope this extends (in time) to Millennium and The Lone Gunmen too.
I'd love to see that too but I doubt it'll happen. Then again 24 hours ago, I would've said the same thing about The X-Files so what do I know. :)
I love The X-Files so I can't wait for this to happen.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Sounds good, and after the success of ST: TNG on blu-ray, it was only a matter of time before Fox got to the X-Files.

SimonTemplar

Stunt Coordinator
The original Outer Limits I would buy on blu in a heartbeat.
I reckon Millennium may be a possible blu in the future. I think Fox will be thinking of future proofing their archive for the future of HD only television. X Files and Millennium play regularly on HD channels in the UK, albeit in an upscaled fashion. Look at how much CBS is HDing from their archive. They can't be the only studio thinking of the future.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I would love to revisit this show, but if it is indeed coming out on Blu-Ray I can wait a few more months. If only there were an announcement confirming that at least it's being prepped :(

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ I'm hoping that Fox will be promoting an actual release at Comic Con in July. Of course, I hoped for the same thing last year (especially since they had a 20th anniversary of The X-Files panel last year) so apparently Fox isn't listening to my hopes and dreams. :D

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
From The Digital Bits yesterday:
During the discussion, Burnett confirmed once again that Fox is not only remastering The X-Files in HD for eventual Blu-ray and syndication release, but that they’ve actually decided to go back to the original negative for the first few seasons (that originally aired in 4x3) to remaster them for 1.78:1/16x9 widescreen. Fox’s timeframe for announcing and releasing the series on Blu-ray is still TBD. Nevertheless, work is well underway.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/the-rumor-mill/010814-update

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Widescreen? Ugh. The show is clearly composed for 1.33 (especially the early seasons) but I guess if they're not cropping it, it's not a total disaster. I want the show on Blu-ray so bad that I'll deal with seeing lots of empty space and the occasional light or crew member on the sides of the frames.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I hope the blu-ray set has the option to watch both original presentation, or widescreen(for just a new way to look at the series).
One of my favorite series of all time....looks like I'll wait a little longer to watch it in HD :)

NOW BRING ON BUFFY FOX!!!

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"...but I guess if they're not cropping it, it's not a total disaster"What do mean? They can create 1.78.1 without cropping the 4:3 image?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jari K said:
"...but I guess if they're not cropping it, it's not a total disaster"What do mean? They can create 1.78.1 without cropping the 4:3 image?
I believe but I'm NOT positive that the entire run of the series was shot 1.78 (like a number of shows of that era were doing) but they had composed their shots for the 1.33 frame since the show would only be seen at 4x3 for years. In other words, I believe that they'll be opening up the sides of the image which will just reveal empty space and possibly things that aren't intended to be seen (lights, crewmen, etc.) but they're not cropping the show.

Just to clarify, I'm not advocating for the widescreen version, I'm just saying that- to the best of my knowledge- it won't be cropped.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I hope it happens, according to the Digital Bits from last year they said remastering work has been underway at HTV/Illuminate in Hollywood – visual effects and some stock footage shots (of the Hoover building, etc) have required upconversion but otherwise original negative is being scanned in full HD.

Also Chris Carter said at a comic con event last summer that and i quote, "I just had a conversation with a guy from Fox yesterday who said they're pushing for that Blu-ray release but it hasn't been formalized or it's not official, so stay tuned for that, but they are releasing it on HD."

I guess there is a delay, maybe they are going the extra mile and have decided to redo some of the effects work in HD, i don't recall there being that much that would need it, i think this will happen and maybe this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks