Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Weekly RoundUp 5-3-2011

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,775 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 30 2011 - 03:59 PM

Posted Image

The Features

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/
– Jay Chou & Seth Rogan (The Green Hornet – 2011)

– Ulla Jacobsson & Eva Dahlberg (Smiles of a Summer Night – 1955)

–Gregory Peck & Dean Jagger (Twelve O'Clock High – 1949)

–Tom Cruise, Sean Penn & Timothy Hutton (Taps– 1981)

–Robin Williams & friend (What Dreams May Come– 1998)

–Rachel Bilson (Waiting For Forever – 2010)

The Prices
Posted Image
Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

SD-DVD TITLE                                                                    Amazon BestBuy Target
According to Jim: Season 3 $22.99 $24.99  
Being Human: Season 3 $21.99 $44.99  
Boy Meets World: Season 5 $20.99 $24.99  
The Dilemma $16.99 $16.99 $17.99
Drop Dead Diva: Season 2 $19.99 $24.99  
From Prada to Nada $14.99 $14.99  
The Green Hornet $15.99 $16.99 $16.99
Julian Assange - A Modern day Hero? Inside World/Wikileaks $15.99 $14.99  
Megan is Missing $19.99 $24.99  
Melrose Place: Season 6 Volume 1 $29.49 $34.99  
Murdoch Mysteries: Season 3 $35.99 $49.99  
My Own Love Song $24.49 $19.99  
The PJs: Season 1 $15.99 $14.99  
Penn & Teller - BullS#*t: Season 8 $23.99 $24.99  
A Somewhat Gentle Man $18.99 $24.99  
Waiting For Forever $16.99 $19.99  
Ward No. 6 $26.99 $24.99  
Yellow Rose: Complete Series (WBShop.com Exclusive)      

Posted Image
Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

BLU-RAY TITLE                                                                  Amazon BestBuy Target
All the Right Moves $15.99 $19.99  
Being Human: Season 3 $40.99 $59.99  
The Crow 2: City of Angels $11.49 $9.99  
The Dilemma $19.99 $19.99 $24.99
Fat Girl (CC) $27.99 $34.99  
From Dusk Till Dawn $9.99 $9.99  
From Prada to Nada $14.99 $14.99  
The Green Hornet (Combo Pack) $19.99 $19.99 $19.99
The Green Hornet (3-D Combo Pack) $24.99 $24.99  
Halloween H2O $11.49 $9.99  
Murdoch Mysteries: Season 3 $45.99 $59.99  
My Own Love Song $24.49 $24.99  
Smiles of a Summer Night (CC) $27.99 $34.99  
Taps $15.99 $19.99  
Twelve O'Clock High $20.99 $24.99  
Waiting For Forever $18.99 $24.99  
What Dreams May Come $19.99 $19.99  
The Yards $11.49 $9.99  

(CC) after a title = New release in the Criterion Collection.

The Disclaimer

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

The Specials

--This week's release of the 1980s TV series The Yellow Rose is exclusive to the wbshop.com.  It is on sale for $39.95.

--Best Buy has EXCLUSIVE PACKAGING on the Blu-ray and 3-D Blu-ray versions of The Green Hornet.  See bestbuy.com/greenhornet.

--Best Buy has the following titles on sale ($10 DVD/$15 Blu-ray):  The Tourist, Life As We Know It, Burlesque, How Do You Know, Love and Other Drugs, Secretariat, Hereafter, Legend of the Guardians, Yogi Bear, Inception, Eat Pray Love, Country Strong.

--And...Best Buy has these titles on sale ($5 DVD/$10 Blu-ray):  The Bounty Hunter, The Ugly Truth, Nine, Slumdog Millionaire, The BackUp Plan, Julie and Julia.

--BB has Black Swan on sale ($13.99 DVD/$17.99 Blu-ray) and The King's Speech ($16.99 DVD/$22.99 Blu-ray).

--Best Buy has the following TV Shows on DVD on sale this week:

$14.99:  Glee: Season 1, Big Bang Theory: S3, Weeds: S6.

$22.99:  The Walking Dead ($29.99 Blu-ray)

$34.99:  Tru Blood: S2.

--Best Buy Odds and Ends:  None to report.

--Target, this week, has the title Mao's Last Dancer as an EXCLUSIVE RELEASE ($10 DVD/$17.99 Blu-ray).  Both available now.

--Target has the following titles on sale for $13.99 DVD/$17.99 Blu-ray:  Love and Other Drugs, The Switch, How Do You Know, Country Strong, Burlessque, Morning Glory, All Good Things, Secretariat.  Quantities limited, no rainchecks.

--Target has The Twilight Saga: Eclipse on sale for $13.99 for the 1-disc DVD and $19.99 for the 2-disc Target EXCLUSIVE Deluxe Edition.

--Target has the following TV Shows on DVD listed on sale:

$14.99:  Glee: Season 2 Volume 1, How I Met Your Mother: S5, Weeds: S6, Army Wives: S4.

$18.99:  Modern Family: S1, Glee: S1, Grey's Anatomy: S6, Mad Men: S4.

--Target has a list of $10 DVDs:  The King's Spech, Black Swan, Glee: Encore.

--Target Odds and Ends:  Lists of DVDs for $4.75 and $10.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#2 of 18 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,619 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted April 30 2011 - 04:23 PM

Thanks Mike.  Based on Matt's review I'm really interested in Smiles of a Summer Night, but I'll wait for the annual CC sale.  Twelve O'Clock High is another one I'm interested in when it gets a bit cheaper.

#3 of 18 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted April 30 2011 - 04:34 PM

Twelve O'Clock High on Blu for me, and that is it.

I bought the Canadian From Dusk til Dawn years ago, and see no need to replace it.

Slow week, and that is just fine. Lots of classics coming down the pike on Blu-ray.

Thanks Mike.

#4 of 18 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted April 30 2011 - 06:15 PM

Finally picking up Black Swan on blu-ray.

#5 of 18 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,457 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 01 2011 - 01:11 AM

I may pick up From Dusk Till Dawn and Halloween: H20 at some point but that's about it.

Thanks for the prices! Posted Image

#6 of 18 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,047 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted May 01 2011 - 06:55 AM

I might pick up The Switch at Target's price, but that'd be it.

#7 of 18 EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,454 posts

Posted May 01 2011 - 08:43 AM

Wow...that's a slow week!  Nothing even that I'd think about renting!

#8 of 18 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,609 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted May 01 2011 - 12:52 PM

Nothing for me again this week. I was expecting a B/M sale on the all existing Marvel movies and related stuff, but apparently not. BB.com has the first three Scream flicks for $7.99 if anyone is so inclined.

#9 of 18 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,060 posts

Posted May 02 2011 - 06:33 PM

Wow! Didn't see Twelve O'Clock High coming to blu ray. That is unexpected. I only have this on laserdisc!

#10 of 18 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted May 03 2011 - 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jason_V 

Nothing for me again this week. I was expecting a B/M sale on the all existing Marvel movies and related stuff, but apparently not. BB.com has the first three Scream flicks for $7.99 if anyone is so inclined.

As also mentioned in the Consolidated BD Bargains thread, BB.com also has the Fiddler on the Roof BD combo pack on sale for $12.99 this week.  I'll be picking that up (and maybe the Scream 2 BD) w/ the help of my just arrived $5 GC (from the release week deal for The King's Speech BD). Posted Image

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#11 of 18 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,384 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 03 2011 - 05:02 AM

Tempting price on Fiddler. I wonder if Amazon will match that some time this week (still $20.99 over there).

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#12 of 18 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,775 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 03 2011 - 05:18 AM

These prices on Fiddler are killing me.

Don't get me wrong.  I was thrilled to have it from amazon on release day for $19.99...

But, first I heard about Wal-Mart's $15 price (which I confirmed at my local store!  Posted Image ) and now $12.99 at BB?  Posted Image

Anyone who's interested should jump on that.  The film looks/sounds great!

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#13 of 18 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted May 03 2011 - 06:09 AM

Seems like just about all catalog releases (other than certain deluxe box sets) are bound to get their prices slashed quickly these days, so I've been holding out on them more confidently than in the past.  Certainly, seems like most any wait won't be beyond the BF holiday shopping season anyway, if one can wait that long, but the BD price slashing trend certainly seems to have reached a new level and be following the pre-HiDef DVD business model now.

FWIW, it might also pay to check studio-operated online stores like FoxConnect.com for decent deals on new/recent releases as well, if your usual sources don't offer good deals on certain titles.  For instance, FoxConnect seems to discount various new/recent Fox/MGM catalog BD releases a bit more than the usual places though I held out on Fiddler anyway -- they've had it for $18.99 (plus readily available coupon for 10%-off and free shipping) for a while now, and still have some others like Benny & Joon (at $9.99 before coupon) for less than everywhere else.

Anyway, I wonder how the What Dreams May Come BD looks w/ all the old tech CGI/SFX work done for that film.  The fact that it's a Universal title certainly doesn't bold well me thinks...

_Man_

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#14 of 18 Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted May 03 2011 - 09:00 AM

To put it bluntly, anyone who buys a Blu-Ray on it's first week of release is a chump. Everything gets heavilly discounted as little as a few months later. I just got the U.K. version of the Alien Anthology in the mail today for a grand total of $34.75 shipped. Posted Image With only a handful of exceptions, I don't think I have paid more than ten bucks for any single-movie Blu-Ray I've bought to date. Just keep your eyes peeled for those bargains.

Originally Posted by ManW_TheUncool 

Seems like just about all catalog releases (other than certain deluxe box sets) are bound to get their prices slashed quickly these days, so I've been holding out on them more confidently than in the past.  Certainly, seems like most any wait won't be beyond the BF holiday shopping season anyway, if one can wait that long, but the BD price slashing trend certainly seems to have reached a new level and be following the pre-HiDef DVD business model now.

#15 of 18 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted May 03 2011 - 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Brisby 

To put it bluntly, anyone who buys a Blu-Ray on it's first week of release is a chump. Everything gets heavilly discounted as little as a few months later. I just got the U.K. version of the Alien Anthology in the mail today for a grand total of $34.75 shipped. Posted Image With only a handful of exceptions, I don't think I have paid more than ten bucks for any single-movie Blu-Ray I've bought to date. Just keep your eyes peeled for those bargains.

That wasn't really the case until more recently (pretty much since the last BF shopping season).  I usually wait as well -- although the Disney/Pixar stuff tend to get excellent deals during release week or so (and doesn't usually get better later) -- but the waiting has been getting shorter and shorter in the past year or so.  Still, there have been plenty of titles that don't get quite that low anyway, certainly not to the <=$10 mark you're talking about anyway -- and I don't just mean the Criterion stuff although most other titles that would otherwise fit well alongside Criterion titles also do not get price slashed quite that low in general...

_Man_

#16 of 18 Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted May 03 2011 - 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by ManW_TheUncool   I usually wait as well -- although the Disney/Pixar stuff tend to get excellent deals during release week or so (and doesn't usually get better later)

Disney/Pixar animated titles are one of the few "first-week" exceptions I make, because the DMR coupons usually bring them down to under $15 (less if there's a good in-store deal, like BB's excellent Incredibles/Cars twofer $10 discount) and, as you said, they rarely get discounted at a later date. And I can usually get Criterion titles down to just over $20 using a 33% or 40% Borders coupon which arrive in my e-mail once a week. Dreamworks animated titles are a tougher nut to crack, as they sometimes do get discounted at some point, but rarely down to the $10 level I prefer. I ordered How To Train Your Dragon from Amazon recently because it got down to $12.99, which seems like the best deal I'm probably gonna find on it. Hopefully the impending release of Kung Fu Panda 2 will get the Blu-Ray of the original down to a managable level.

#17 of 18 Bill Thomann

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted May 04 2011 - 07:43 AM

Made a blind buy of the Green Hornet 3D combo pack at Wal Mart for $24.96.  Was going to get the 1 disc blu ray but saw what the 3D discs are going for on eBay.  With what I sold the 3D for I got the blu ray + dvd in the cool packaging for about $10 out of pocket.

#18 of 18 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,775 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 04 2011 - 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Thomann 

Made a blind buy of the Green Hornet 3D combo pack at Wal Mart for $24.96.  Was going to get the 1 disc blu ray but saw what the 3D discs are going for on eBay.  With what I sold the 3D for I got the blu ray + dvd in the cool packaging for about $10 out of pocket.

That's the entrepreneurial spirit, Bill!  Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users