What's new

battlestar galactica: the complete epic series (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Sorry for bringing back this thread.
I was watching one of the newer episodes (from season one, and it WAS excellent) and I decided to check on the price of the old series (BSG The complete Epic Series DVD). Well, it seems to be out of print. Can someone confirm that?
Most places don't seem to have it. Just overpriced new copies and used copies where they were once $24.99 or something. I checked NBC store and they had it list as "in stock" so I quickly ordered one. Sure hope I actually get it. I figure if it ever comes out on blu ray it will be too expensive for me to buy right away. So I'd have to wait anyway. This way (i hope) I'll have the series.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^According to Michael's Movie Mayhem it *is* OOP. That happened *fast*. I was looking at this just a couple of weeks ago and it was in stock everywhere with most selling it for around $25-$30. I figured why bother as it'll go on sale for $20 or less and get it then. Looks like I figured wrong - but I had trouble watching past the first few episodes (it was just too kiddified, especially after the good opening mini-series) so I don't know if I'm upset or not... I've read that it got much better later in the season (9 or 10 eps. in) but I gave up on it somewhere around the 4th or 5th episode when it originally aired.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
@ Bob, that was my way of thinking exactly. I had no idea it would go oop. Still waiting for nbc universal store to confirm shipping, as soon as I'll list it here. ... one of things I love most about the show is the kid show atmosphere. Very nostalgic. The 1980 show is even worse in that area. Now, the new show is for sci-fi fans across the board. They really did well with that. I'm still trying to get my 65 yo mother to catch it. I'll have to sit down with her and watch the 2 part pilot some time. She'll love it. She loved the original movie when we went to the cinema to see it. They had a new speaker system that throw us out of our seats.
@ Regulus. That's good to hear. I had trouble to the Universal Hammer Collection. But the Emergency! season that has double side DVDs have worked without a hitch. Hoping these are the same.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I've had this set (the original Collector's Head packaging) since its initial release in the fall of 2003, and have watched it 3 or 4 times by now---still enjoy it every time, and I've been fortunate that the discs continue to work for me. I also continue to enjoy the copious amounts of bonus material as well--those were very well-produced documentaries and featurettes. I envy those of you who are discovering the show for the first time! It was a show that went before its time (and I mercifully do not count the abominable GALACTICA 1980 as a '2nd season' as some do!)
I'm wondering if this release is being discontinued because they may be considering a new release of it later this year or next year, hence they are taking the old one out of print? If so, I would hope they digitally remaster the original 35MM negatives in glorious HD and consider a blu-ray release as well!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
OK... availability is back on what Michael's Movie Mahem calls the "Old Version". Here's what I've found about the various releases:
OOP
Release date: 10/21/2003
Battlestar Galactica (1978/ TV Series): The Complete Epic Series (Special Edition/ Limited Edition Cyclon Head Packaging) - UPC# 025192307126
OOP
Release date: 7/24/07
Battlestar Galactica (1978/ TV Series): The Complete Epic Series (Special Edition) - UPC# 025192307126
Still available
Release date: 2/10/2004:
Battlestar Galactica (1978/ TV Series): The Complete Epic Series (Special Edition/Old Version) - UPC# 025192488627
Current amazon price: ~$27
The UPC on the 03 and 07 releases is the same although they appear to be different product based solely on description. Were there 2 different releases of the "Cylon Head" packaging? At this point the "Special Edition" non-Cylon Head product now appears to be back in stock and still in print. Very odd...

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
The original BSG has a certain following. I would consider myself as a fan, especially as it relates to the cast. I like Dirk Benedict as starbuck and Maren Jensen as Athena. I was 10 years old when the original show came out, but missed a few episodes when it originally aired and was glad that i picked up the set.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I was 13. LOVED the show. Even liked the 1980 one. We talked about those super-cool-awesome flying cycles at school. Funny how cheesy that really was. But at the time it really wasn't all that bad. A few kids in class drew everything BSG. I remember how amazing those guys could draw. I started drawing them too. I still have a few of mine somewhere. Those fighters are fun ships to draw. Really kind of easy.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^See... you two were the *perfect* target age when that came out. I'd recently graduated college and found it too "kiddified" to suit my overall tastes. That's the main reason I still can't bring myself to pick up a copy. I very much liked the special effects and premise but the stories just didn't do enough for me when it originally aired. I'm looking into streaming a few random episodes to help make a final decision. I'm leaning towards getting a copy simply because I own the "re-imagined" version and feel it would go well with that series if for no other reason than to provide context and comparrison.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Bob, i was the perfect age for the show as well. However, a few of the episodes still hold up today, for me anyway.
The 3 hour pilot was great. But, if you want to dig a little deeper, try The Living Legend and Gun on Ice Planet Zero. Sure they still have some kiddie elements, like the orange dog that looks like a chimp in an orange dog suit.
But they are quite watchable.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Howie,
You should pick it up. Galactica 1980 most fans hated but i liked it. The new series pays tribute to the old show in the movie Razor. We get to see the old Cylons and Cylon fighters. I also love Razor which I know you have in your collection because it came with the HD set. What I meant to say is we get to see Cain again and I loved those episodes from season 2 which ended on the start of season 3 i think.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Compared to other shows of the day, Galactica was a cut above them in terms of quality and depth. Those who dismiss at as "cheesy" IMO fail to take into account the strength and subtexts one sees in the original uncut version of the pilot, or episodes like "Living Legend."
The "reimagined" version is something the majority of Galactica fans refuse to acknowledge the existence of, and that's especially true of me.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
RickER said:
Bob, i was the perfect age for the show as well. However, a few of the episodes still hold up today, for me anyway.
The 3 hour pilot was great. But, if you want to dig a little deeper, try The Living Legend and Gun on Ice Planet Zero. Sure they still have some kiddie elements, like the orange dog that looks like a chimp in an orange dog suit.
But they are quite watchable.
Yes, I consider the "daggit" to be a major stumbling area. It was lame then and it's still pretty lame. We knew then it was a monkee in a suit and it was just not convincing. They could also have relegated Boxey to a limited occasional appearance. I've read that this occurred later in the series but it was too late to help boost ratings which *may* have helped keep it alive a bit longer (of course we all know it was primarily cancelled due to budget reasons - with dropping ratings being only part of the issue).
Mark Collins said:
Howie,
You should pick it up. Galactica 1980 most fans hated but i liked it. The new series pays tribute to the old show in the movie Razor. We get to see the old Cylons and Cylon fighters. I also love Razor which I know you have in your collection because it came with the HD set. What I meant to say is we get to see Cain again and I loved those episodes from season 2 which ended on the start of season 3 i think.
I probably will just for the episodes like RickER mentions plus a few other highly rated ones that are more "serious" in tone. I actually own a copy of Galactica 1980 for the simple fact I found it at Big Lots a year or so ago for $3. It's not been watched yet as I really want to decide about the original series and if I *do* purchase a copy, watch it first. Not that 1980 contains any spoilers but for continuity.
Lest anyone be confused by my comments, I do *not* consider the original series to be "cheesy" in any way. I looked forward to the premier and was incredibly upset it was interrupted for over an hour for the announcement of the signing of the Egyptian-Israeli Camp David Accords! I stayed with the series for another 6-8 weeks before I got tired of the "Boxey factor". IMHO it was just too "kid oriented" with dumbed down situations and segments obviously intended to pull in the male 8-15 year old group. Kind of like what Lucas did with the Ewoks in Return of the Jedi which were originally to be *very* fierce/dangerous creatures but got turned into miniature Teddy Bears with an attitude. The more demanding male 18-34 year old group didn't buy into the "Saturday Morning" approach and slowly stopped watching in spite of the great special effects because well done special effects are nice but they do *not* keep people watching. The producers realized this a bit too late to help keep the show alive.
As far as the "reimagined" series. Let's just say it's a whole different beast. Very dark and, I feel, more true to the intent of the original series. I think many people who refuse to give it a chance do so simply because of the changes of gender of a few characters. If you've not watched it you should. While I wasn't at all surprised by the ending (was anyone?) I felt it was well done. I know several people who *hated* the ending but I felt it worked well within the framework of the show and premise.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
BobO'Link said:
As far as the "reimagined" series. Let's just say it's a whole different beast. Very dark and, I feel, more true to the intent of the original series. I think many people who refuse to give it a chance do so simply because of the changes of gender of a few characters.
As a big fan of the reimagined series, I think it's more than just the gender differences. I watch alot of dark shows but this was one of the darkest series I've ever seen so I can see that alienating people. It's violent and unrelentingly grim. It's more of a drama about war than being traditional sci-fi. And there's the segment of people who get angry when a show takes a stand on issues (or, more specifically, take a stand that they don't agree with) and that certainly alienated some folks too. However, those are also the things that made the show memorable and one of the finest sci-fi/drama series ever made.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
BobO'Link said:
As far as the "reimagined" series. Let's just say it's a whole different beast. Very dark and, I feel, more true to the intent of the original series. I think many people who refuse to give it a chance do so simply because of the changes of gender of a few characters.
False. It isn't the fact that genders were changed (though it's not surprising that for PC purposes the two who became female just happened to be the original's two biggest symbols of old fashioned male warrirors in Starbuck and Commander Cain), it's the fact that this show was NOT true to the original's moral and philosophical undertone, and there are a whole host of other reasons I could go into as well that would keep this thread going for years. The fact that Ron Moore was openly contemptuous of the original series and operated from a total aura of ignorance about it, and rudely insulted the original series fanbase at every opportunity he could get also didn't help matters.
I for one long ago got fed up with the constant attempt to spearate the two shows based on the idea that the original was pure kiddie-fare (it wasn't) while this show with its oversexed dysfuctional characters ripped out of bad movies like "In Harms Way" were somehow more "adult".

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I watched the original as a kid when it premiered, and enjoyed it enough to buy it on DVD. It was fun to see again.
I wasn't really ready to give Moore's version a chance on principle, but once I did, I now I enjoy it a lot more than the original.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I was in my 20s when the show debuted. I remember the Carter deal and waiting for the show to start again. The show had a lot ot hype at the time. The Star Wars version for TV. The Show was on the Cover of Time Mag and lots of people tuned in. Then there were lawsuits against the show. Galactica had a very strong fan base. Ratings were good on that show. ABC killed it for money reasons.
Larson wanted to do Galactica TV Movies instead of the series. ABC wanted the series every week. The show went into syndication back in the early 80s. They would air them as 2 hour episodes. I can remember and I wish I had recorded it someone finding something of Galactica on our moon. Galactica 1980 came about from ABC wanting the show back again. Every one knows the story. The show was put into a time slot which the government had decided should be educational. I watched it all. Yes it had it's moments I thought but most fans reject the show.
The new show I did watch. I will say I did get caught up into it. I thought the acting was quite good. I thought some of the episodes were very well written. I also thought they moved away from so much sex scenes and concentrated more on the people.
The old Galactica I thought Ron did give a tribute with Razor to the old show. Larson was on board for every epiosode. What power he had i suppose was none. Richard Hatch even came on the show after being against the idea of a new Galactica.
I saw the old show when after it went off the air on the big screen.
I want to see the old show in blu-ray. I think it should be done just to show what a great looking show it was.
http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Battlestar_Galactica:_Year_Two_proposal

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks