-

Photo
- - - - -

battlestar galactica: the complete epic series

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

#1 of 53 kingfish

kingfish

Screenwriter

• 1,002 posts

Posted April 28 2011 - 03:38 AM

i am bringing this topic up since universal studios released this set as flipper discs using some gold colored discs. It would seem that they don't stand the test of time. discs that worked perfectly now seem to have flaws in them. disc one has so much data on it that compression must be an issue. I am wondering if anybody else is having an issue.

#2 of 53 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,375 posts

Posted April 28 2011 - 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by kingfish 

i am bringing this topic up since universal studios released this set as flipper discs using some gold colored discs. It would seem that they don't stand the test of time. discs that worked perfectly now seem to have flaws in them. disc one has so much data on it that compression must be an issue. I am wondering if anybody else is having an issue.

I have the original "Cylon Head" version. I marathoned the whole series about a year ago. Didn't have any trouble with the discs. I do wish they'd restore the whole series though, and upgrade it to blu-ray.

#3 of 53 kingfish

kingfish

Screenwriter

• 1,002 posts

Posted April 28 2011 - 07:59 AM

i also have the cylon head release. i believe that the series was originally supposed to be released on single sided discs.

#4 of 53 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted April 29 2011 - 03:30 AM

i also have the cylon head release. i believe that the series was originally supposed to be released on single sided discs.

and it was in other countries (though without several of the extras)

#5 of 53 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,745 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted April 30 2011 - 01:44 AM

Ive held off purchasing this series for so long that a possible blu ray release has suddenly become an issue.  I know many would upgrade in a second.  I'm thinking the studio should have this in the planning stages at least.

Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#6 of 53 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted April 30 2011 - 03:38 AM

I would buy a Blu-ray of the original Galactica in a heart beat!

I own the original flipper Cylon set, and have had no issues...that i know of.

It is one of the 2 or 3 sereis on DVD-18s that i still own. I would usually have problems with them the day i got them (scratched discs, skipping). The only series on DVD-18s that died on the shelf for me was Adam-12 season 1. I refused to buy them after a while.

#7 of 53 BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,594 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted April 30 2011 - 03:47 AM

James, you're talking about Universal Studios.  They seem to have zero love for *any* older series.  I'm beginning to think they are waiting on the world of "software as a service" where they'll only offer a monthly subscription to titles available only to stream.

To the OP:

Universal released *many* series/movies on poorly manufactured DVD-18s (2 sides, 2 layers).  The gold color is indicative they are DVD-18 disks, although many are silver.  I do not know if those which are gold are more problematic.   In spite of complaints about and *many* issues with those pressings Universal continued to release flawed product.  Most titles released in that format have never been given a updated release to fix those issues.  I've read comments that they may have a shorter life span due to instability with the glue holding the layers together.  I have *many* Universal titles in this flawed format but so far I've had no problems outside initial ones where I've been able to get a replacement disk during the "warranty" period.  However, every time I play one of these disks my enjoyment is lessened as I expect issues.  This is based on comments from others, like yours.  While other manufacturers released titles in that format they didn't seem to have as many issues as those from Universal.  However, I stopped purchasing "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" (Fox) because I *never* got good copies of S1V1 or S1V2 (after several exchanges on both).  I do not own the original "Battlestar" so can't help you on that one, but "reviews" at amazon indicate others had pixilation/skipping/freezing issues when this set was released.  Even so, I'd suggest contacting Universal about your issue.  Worst case is they ignore you, but they might actually replace your disk(s), although you would have to pay postage for the return.

#8 of 53 westumulka

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted April 30 2011 - 04:20 AM

Universal seem quite happy to licence out their shows to other companies, though. It is possible (though unlikely) that these could come out again from other companies (or in other countries) in a format that is more acceptable for most people.

#9 of 53 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,745 posts

Posted April 30 2011 - 10:30 AM

Yep.  That Hammer Horror movie set (the one with Brides of Dracula, etc) is an embarrassment.  Was anybody able to play that without problems?  I feel like Uni still owes us on that one.  Luckily I've gone through 2 complete seasons of Emergency! and they have worked without any problems whatsoever.   Oh!  And they did get The Munsters right with mostly single sided (while Fox got The Addam's Family wrong with double sided that get scratched up during shipping).

Howie, you could be on to something.  They won't get any of my money with that.  I'm hoping the early attempts at that fail miserably.  But with $8 a month Netflix, etc, I'm afraid the masses are going to be happy with that and collectors like us are the ones who will suffer.  That's the thanks for being the most loyal customers.  Hopefully the concept of DVD on demand (Bluray on demand?) will continue to grow.  I've really enjoyed what I've gotten from WB, well except for the prices.  Being a huge nostalgia nut for old kid shows, I'm not happy what has happened with Mister Rogers Neighborhood.  The DVD of that is way too pricey ($30 for 5 episodes) but you can get a whole season I believe for $10 less only that whole season is viewable through amazon only.  Very saddened by that.

Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#10 of 53 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,375 posts

Posted April 30 2011 - 11:09 AM

I never had a problem with my Battlestar Galactica set. I did have problems with the Big Valley, but that was from Fox (I think). Battlestar would have to be completely restored before a blu-ray release, though. It looks acceptable for dvd, but it wouldn't look very good at all, as is, on blu. I don't know if Universal really wants to go back and remaster the entire series, but I think it would be a good investment. It seems to me, though, that they only care about the recent BG series and sort of ignore the legacy version. Ditto that with whoever owns "V." You'd think that since there's an updated version airing right now, that somebody would have given the 80s version another look for blu-ray potential.

#11 of 53 BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,594 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted April 30 2011 - 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Radioman970 

Yep.  That Hammer Horror movie set (the one with Brides of Dracula, etc) is an embarrassment.  Was anybody able to play that without problems?

Yes, I have.  My copy plays just fine so far, although it's one I opened the day it came and watched the whole set very nervously (as I do now with all "franchise" collections from UNI).  So far the only ones I've had problems with are the "Bela Lugosi Collection", "Abbott & Costello" - V3, and the "Invisible Man" Legacy set.  Because of the DVD18 issues I've toyed with replacing the individual A&C sets with the new single-sided box set.  If the price ever does a large enough drop I'll probably cave on that.  The only one I was unable to replace was the "Invisible Man" set as it was opened *way* too late to get anything done.  Fortunately the issue is on "Invisible Agent" about 4 minutes in where the disk freezes - but it can be skipped missing only about 30 seconds of story so I just live with it.  That said, watch my "Ma & Pa Kettle" Franchise Collection 2 set have issues since I've not watched them all yet and it was purchased several years ago.

#12 of 53 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,745 posts

Posted May 01 2011 - 01:48 AM

I've avoided those Universal Monster sets because of this.  I ended up picking and choosing from the singles which I plan to pick up in time for October viewing.  Those sets seemed like such a nice idea...but I don't want a repeat of that Hammer set.  Like you said, watching nervously...and I just don't like that for something I bought brand new.  :(

I've had Ma & Pa on my list too.  BUt I'm just avoiding it because of the problems.  :(

I don't think you should have to skip anything.  One "fix" is to try making a back up by putting it on new media.  I believe if you can get it off their horrible media and on to a blank dvd-r it might play smoothly.  You may be able to re-author a disc with just the movie on it and no menus.  Of course, this is probably crossing over to "illegal land" but still... Universal has certainly done something questionable by selling us flawed merchandise and, as yet, have not announced any kind of official fix.  ;)  So as long as you retain the original, don't sell bootlegs or something like that, shouldn't you be able to do what you need to get it to work?

#13 of 53 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted May 01 2011 - 07:27 AM

One "fix" is to try making a back up by putting it on new media.  I believe if you can get it off their horrible media and on to a blank dvd-r it might play smoothly.

Of course, the problem with that is that DVD-R/burnt media isn't as dependable as pressed media...

#14 of 53 kingfish

kingfish

Screenwriter

• 1,002 posts

Posted May 01 2011 - 08:57 AM

if Battlestar went blu i wonder if the studio would remaster some or all of the fx. It is true that they[the fx] were ahead of their time in the day but now the crisper one makes the picture the more the matte photography sticks out like a sore thumb.

#15 of 53 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,375 posts

Posted May 02 2011 - 12:26 AM

if Battlestar went blu i wonder if the studio would remaster some or all of the fx. It is true that they[the fx] were ahead of their time in the day but now the crisper one makes the picture the more the matte photography sticks out like a sore thumb.

Depends on if Universal wants to spend millions, because they'd have to either re-composite the images, or re-create them digitally ala Star Trek. I would guess that Universal saved all the original film elements, simply because we already know they saved so many outtakes.  If they kept all those deleted scenes, they might have been smart enough back in '78 to save all the original negatives, unmarried composite shots and fx shots too. (Maybe the stuff burned up in the fire; maybe it was all kept somewhere else).

You'd think if they were ever going to restore the original BG, they'd have done it a few years ago when the new series was still running. They did put out that dvd, but it doesn't look like they even cleaned up the negatives for dvd release; they just put out what they had. While the prints looked acceptable for a 2004 dvd, they honestly don't look too good on a 2011 hi-def 1080p television. I don't know--it's up to Universal.

#16 of 53 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,745 posts

Posted May 02 2011 - 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by AndyMcKinney 

Of course, the problem with that is that DVD-R/burnt media isn't as dependable as pressed media...

True true!  But I actually just meant the customer could copy the movie to a burned form of media as a backup and a way to get it to play.  As long as you have the original and don't sell (or give away) copies... are you doing anything illegal?  I don't think so...not sure. Still, Universal is selling something that doesn't work as advertised and I feel they have cheated us.

#17 of 53 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,842 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 02 2011 - 10:31 AM

As long as you have the original and don't sell (or give away) copies... are you doing anything illegal?

As far as I know, none of that violates a copyright. That being said, please don't make any serious decisions based on what I think I know. Posted Image

#18 of 53 BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,594 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted May 02 2011 - 03:08 PM

^That is correct.  Making a personal "archival" copy comes under the "Fair Use" provision of copyright.  The publishers have attempted to ham-string that part of copyright by the inclusion of the cirmunvention of DRM clause.  It's the removal of the copy protection off a disk that's the sticky wicket.  If you can make a copy leaving all that crap intact you're legally OK.  Otherwise you *may* be breaking the law.  I do not know if removal of copy protection under "Fair Use" has been tested in court... yet.  It goes back to my earlier comment in that I feel UNI (actually *all* content providers) would like to see a viable streaming model to prevent anyone from actually owning a physical copy.  They'd *love* it if you had to pay either a monthly access fee or a "needle drop" type fee for each view/listen.

#19 of 53 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,745 posts

Posted May 02 2011 - 10:57 PM

The app I have removes that stuff.  I know there was a stink about that particular app and they stopped developing it.  By then, the damage was done.  I've yet to have anything that couldn't be backed up.  Mainly I back up my MST3K collection, several oop movies and just my family home movies.  I've even used it (I think...) to make PAL into NTSC and remove region coding.  I can see studios being a little annoyed that their annoyance features are being removed.  hee hee!

They'll never get my money for streaming stuff.  I caved on Steam for my gaming, but I'll need some discs sent to me (or the ability to make my own with what I download from a legal site)  before they get any of my money for films.  I don't have cable, satellite, netflix or anything like that.  If I paid for it...I better own it.  ;)  Now, if one day there is instantaneous downloaded...?  That might be different if I actually pay for the right to download and watch it anytime I want to.  But I better be able to get it to any device I own.  But for now, I want a discs of some sort.

#20 of 53 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted May 03 2011 - 05:55 AM

I've never felt the need to back up a proper pressed disc, but you can certainly be sure I'm not going to risk losing my money on this MOD stuff that Warner and the others are putting out, especially since I've heard one or two people say they had to be persistent in their complaints to get replacement copies for purchased MOD discs that went bad.