What's new

OTA HD on my Westinghouse LCD (1 Viewer)

exiledgator

Auditioning
Real Name
Lance Davis
nOOb here. I did look for the answer to this in the forums but didn't find it.

So, I have a Westinghouse TX-47F430S that I bought in 2007. I recently bought an HD antenna to pick up some OTA stations (we don't have cable or satellite.) I've been to AntennaWeb and it tells me that I have a 8 stations within 30 miles, 5 of those are within 20 miles, and 3 of those are within 10 miles. With the antenna outside, I get no reception. Not even a blip.

What am I doing wrong? I'm pretty sure my TV has a tuner (there is coax input that's labeled "TV" on the input menu). Is that tuner not an HD Tuner (If there is such a difference)? Do I need an HD Tuner, an HD Converter box, a new antenna, a new TV or House ;) ?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
How were you using your 2007 purchased TV before you decided to go with OTA? Generally toady's sets require that change the TV's input settings when you change input sources. In addition when you use the TV's internal tuner you may have to run a station detect set routine to assign the proper channel to the tuner.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I couldn't find a user manual, but it appears that that TV doesn't have an ATSC tuner (digital). Check your manual for ATSC vs NTSC. If that's the case you'll need a digital converter box.

exiledgator

Auditioning
Real Name
Lance Davis
Originally Posted by CB750

How were you using your 2007 purchased TV before you decided to go with OTA? Generally toady's sets require that change the TV's input settings when you change input sources. In addition when you use the TV's internal tuner you may have to run a station detect set routine to assign the proper channel to the tuner.

We currently use it with a BluRay, XBox, Wii, iPad, and a laptop, to stream/view media and to play games. We've had cable hooked up in the past, but we just don't watch enough TV to warrant the bill. We get cable for football and I want to try to watch football this year via the internet and OTA.

I do select the 'TV' input when attempting to view an OTA signal as I've assumed this to mean the coaxial input. I get the visual airway static on my screen, but no amount of tuning gets me so much as a slight variation to the static. It's this complete lack of any result that makes me question if I have the right hardware in place. I'll look for a way to run a station detect routine this evening. Thanks!

exiledgator

Auditioning
Real Name
Lance Davis
Originally Posted by Al.Anderson and convert the OTA digital signal into an analog signal and send it into my LCD through the coax (TV) input? What kind of resolution would I get with that? Also, is there hardware that keeps the signal digital and sends it out on an HDMI port?

So much I don't know....

Thanks!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
"Check your manual." Good one! :D

I kid. I kid.

Yeah, I know ... I'm sure you realize by virtue of hanging around this forum like I do that I'm the type that saves ALL my manuals and protects them just slightly better than I do my kids. (I kid! I kid!)

Anyway, you want something more like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-DTBH260F-HDTV-Terrestrial-Receiver/dp/B000JV6TQY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1303857201&sr=1-1

I picked that one because it's the one I have, I bought it a while ago; I'm sure you can find a cheaper one. But look at the picture of the back panel, it has HDMI and component output. Use that to connect to your receiver (or TV). The picture can be up to 1080i, so pretty good. And it converts high quality audio too, so surround sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks