Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

I don't get it!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Help Me

Help Me

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 02:25 PM

So I have a bunch of second hand/salvation army things I want to hook up. They all work. It should be simple. TV, receiver, VHS player, DVD player and speakers. For some god awful reason, I just can't get these things to function in harmony as one. It could be because I'm young and stupid and could care less about electronics and how they work. So here I am desperately requesting your idiot-proof guidance.

Here are some pictures:

Receiver-

Posted Image

Posted Image

Top=DVD

Bottom=VCR

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Front of VCR-

Posted Image

Side of TV-

Posted Image

Back of TV-

Posted Image

Speaker Connectors-

Posted Image

Three sets of cables-

Posted Image

That's all she wrote. So, what do I do?

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   winniw

winniw

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 03:58 PM

I suggest that you google for the owner's manual on these units and they will show you how to hook it up. Nick

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   mike caronia

mike caronia

Second Unit

• 416 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 04:33 PM

Looking at the pics, your receiver is old school. It doesn't do video switching, seems to be just stereo audio. You'll have to take the video out (yellow) on the DVD & VHS straight to the TV, different inputs if you got 'em. Then take the white and red audio outs from each unit and go into the receiver. Make sure you set the TV to the correct input and change your receiver to the one you've selected. I gotta say though, you can probably find a better receiver that does video/audio and give you a modest 5.1 set-up on the cheap these days.

#4 of 5 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,734 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 25 2011 - 04:41 PM

Mike: I agree with your assessment about the receiver.  It would well be worth Stan's while to upgrade to a 5.1 receiver of any age to get a huge upgrade in performance with the DVD player. But it looks as if the TV has component video inputs.  Couldn't he feed the component video signal directly from the DVD player to the TV?  it also has S-Video connections, but wouldn't the component connections work?  That might do him better than the "yellow" RCA video connection.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#5 of 5 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,734 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 25 2011 - 04:43 PM

In the meantime...

Stan:

Welcome to the forum!  Posted Image

I hope we help get you up and running...and that you'll stick around and learn more about the HT hobby and the various software that's available for your system.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users