What's new

I don't get it! (1 Viewer)

Help Me

Auditioning
Real Name
Stan Fields
So I have a bunch of second hand/salvation army things I want to hook up. They all work. It should be simple. TV, receiver, VHS player, DVD player and speakers. For some god awful reason, I just can't get these things to function in harmony as one. It could be because I'm young and stupid and could care less about electronics and how they work. So here I am desperately requesting your idiot-proof guidance.

Here are some pictures:

Receiver-

Top=DVD

Bottom=VCR

Front of VCR-

Side of TV-

Back of TV-

Speaker Connectors-

Three sets of cables-

That's all she wrote. So, what do I do?

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
I suggest that you google for the owner's manual on these units and they will show you how to hook it up.

Nick

mike caronia

Second Unit
Looking at the pics, your receiver is old school. It doesn't do video switching, seems to be just stereo audio. You'll have to take the video out (yellow) on the DVD & VHS straight to the TV, different inputs if you got 'em. Then take the white and red audio outs from each unit and go into the receiver. Make sure you set the TV to the correct input and change your receiver to the one you've selected. I gotta say though, you can probably find a better receiver that does video/audio and give you a modest 5.1 set-up on the cheap these days.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike:

I agree with your assessment about the receiver. It would well be worth Stan's while to upgrade to a 5.1 receiver of any age to get a huge upgrade in performance with the DVD player.

But it looks as if the TV has component video inputs. Couldn't he feed the component video signal directly from the DVD player to the TV? it also has S-Video connections, but wouldn't the component connections work? That might do him better than the "yellow" RCA video connection.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
In the meantime...

Stan:

Welcome to the forum!

I hope we help get you up and running...and that you'll stick around and learn more about the HT hobby and the various software that's available for your system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks