Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

VistaVision--film by film chat and vote

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
452 replies to this topic

#421 of 453 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,203 posts

Posted June 10 2013 - 07:20 AM

I have just looked through amazon.co.uk's list of future blu-ray releases. Vertigo (region free) is scheduled for 23 September as a stand-alone release.

With or without the original mono soundtrack?

#422 of 453 ONLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Screenwriter

• 1,067 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted June 10 2013 - 08:14 AM

It doesn't say, but this is the release for me.

#423 of 453 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,203 posts

Posted June 30 2013 - 08:40 AM

One title that hasn't been scheduled yet, but might be worth a go on Blu-ray, is George Cukor's Heller in Pink Tights (1960). Judging by the overall quality of Paramount's 2005 DVD, whether the home studio or Warners ran with it, they would at least have something in pretty decent condition to work from. Actually, I was a little startled by how well Heller's SD transfer upscaled to 1080p. Ditto for Li'l Abner.

I still think Paramount/Warners are missing a niche opportunity here by not releasing a specifically branded VistaVision series on Blu-ray. 

I agree completely.

Another Sophia Loren Vista Vision movie is It Started In Naples with gorgeous photography by Robert Surtees. (What was he doing away from MGM at  that stage?) The DVD also suggests the elements are free of dirt and scratches. I'd love a BRD of the same quality as To Catch A Thief.

#424 of 453 ONLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Screenwriter

• 1,067 posts

Posted June 30 2013 - 08:53 AM

There are loads of VistaVision titles that could be released based on the decent DVDs I have. A VV branded series is a great idea, something Twilight Time would do well with a limited run. If Warners aren't interested perhaps they should give another distributor the opportunity.

#425 of 453 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,256 posts

Posted July 01 2013 - 06:38 AM

Since I doubt anybody else is going to mention them, how about the slough of Japanese VistaVision productions from the 1970s and 80s? (Vengeance is Mine, In the Realm of the Senses, Venus Wars, etc. ?)

#426 of 453 ONLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Screenwriter

• 1,067 posts

Posted July 01 2013 - 07:16 AM

They will probably be released before Warners get round to the Paramount VistaVision titles or High Society (MGM)!

#427 of 453 OFFLINE   ajabrams

ajabrams

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted July 01 2013 - 07:32 AM

I'd also love HELLER IN PINK TIGHTS on BD. Also would like a blu-ray of another Loren Paramount film from the same year, Michael Curtiz's A BREATH OF SCANDAL - beautiful production with a great cast. Along with "NAPLES" this would make a terrific Loren/Paramount set -- Abbondanza!!

Edited by ajabrams, July 01 2013 - 01:18 PM.

#428 of 453 ONLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Screenwriter

• 1,067 posts

Posted July 01 2013 - 08:16 AM

POPULAR

Let me also give a mention to Teacher's Pet, nice performances from Doris Day and Clark Gable.

#429 of 453 ONLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,893 posts

Posted November 23 2014 - 02:26 PM

Well, as 2014 draws to a close, where do we stand in terms of VistaVision titles on blu-ray? And what are your personal top three titles that aren't on blu that you'd like to see?

Here are three VistaVision titles where an HD restoration already seems to have been done, because you can stream them in HD at Amazon:

Artists and Models, a very funny 1955 comedy staring Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis, and Shirley MacLaine

We're No Angels, which is also a funny offbeat comedy starring Humphrey Bogart in one of his last roles

The Court Jester, which is perhaps Danny Kaye's finest film and looks fantastic in HD.

I would like to see all of these on blu-ray. Would Warner Archives be possible? Or maybe just a regular WB release?

#430 of 453 ONLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,893 posts

Posted November 23 2014 - 02:29 PM

King Vidor's War and Peace, starring Henry Fonda, Audrey Hepburn, and Mel Ferrer, with a score by Nino Rota and cinematography by Jack Cardiff, is coming from Warner Bros. in a few months. It's a flawed film with many good elements imho. Warner is releasing this VistaVision title from 1956 in a few months with a list price of only $15.

#431 of 453 ONLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Screenwriter

• 1,067 posts

Posted November 23 2014 - 02:48 PM

My top 3 VistaVision titles are:

High Society

Artists & Models

The Court Jester

So far this year we have only had Gunfight at the OK Corral (Warners). Richard III was released by Network although the Criterion was released in 2013.

#432 of 453 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 2,452 posts

Posted November 23 2014 - 02:51 PM

The Court Jester, which is perhaps Danny Kaye's finest film and looks fantastic in HD.

Which now is in the hands of Warner.

Who has not only--NOT ONLY, mind you--banished it to the Archive, but stuck it on a bulk double-feature disk with "The Five Pennies".

Here's one of those cases where Olive should come to the rescue.  

#433 of 453 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,026 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted November 23 2014 - 03:07 PM

Which now is in the hands of Warner.Who has not only--NOT ONLY, mind you--banished it to the Archive, but stuck it on a bulk double-feature disk with "The Five Pennies".Here's one of those cases where Olive should come to the rescue.

Unfortunately Olive can't.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#434 of 453 ONLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,893 posts

Posted November 23 2014 - 03:29 PM

Which now is in the hands of Warner.

Who has not only--NOT ONLY, mind you--banished it to the Archive, but stuck it on a bulk double-feature disk with "The Five Pennies".

Here's one of those cases where Olive should come to the rescue.  

You're kidding. And DVD only? Now that Warner has an agreement with Criterion would a blu from them be possible? Seems like it would be one of their most commercial titles from this era....

The Five Pennies, as you know, is also a very good film. It's much more drama than comedy, but I thought it was quite effective. It also looks great in HD and if you have amzn Prime you can stream it in HD for "free."

#435 of 453 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,026 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted November 23 2014 - 05:08 PM

You're kidding. And DVD only? Now that Warner has an agreement with Criterion would a blu from them be possible? Seems like it would be one of their most commercial titles from this era....The Five Pennies, as you know, is also a very good film. It's much more drama than comedy, but I though it was quite effective. It also looks great in HD and if you have amzn Prime you can stream it in HD for "free."

Warner has an agreement with Paramount. It more than likely prevents them from licensing it out to another party. We need to give them a chance, they have been working on bringing out Blu's from Paramount but it depends on the elements.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#436 of 453 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,362 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 23 2014 - 08:50 PM

I've said these before, but they're still my top three:

The Leather Saint

The Desperate Hours

Li'l Abner

and, of course, One-Eyed Jacks, but I'm not sure that's available.

#437 of 453 OFFLINE   davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Supporting Actor

• 828 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted November 23 2014 - 09:24 PM

I've said these before, but they're still my top three:

The Leather Saint

The Desperate Hours

Li'l Abner

and, of course, One-Eyed Jacks, but I'm not sure that's available.

I don't know about now, but in 1994, it was available on Laserdisc, and what's more, Paramount was well aware of what they had, as the blurb on the back of the jacket proves. By the standards of twenty years ago, this Laserdisc was a revelation.

IMG_1376.JPG

#438 of 453 ONLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,893 posts

Posted November 23 2014 - 10:08 PM

And for those of you who might like to browse, here's a wikipedia list of the VistaVision titles:

#439 of 453 OFFLINE   karipu

karipu

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted November 23 2014 - 10:39 PM

My most wanted:Joker Is WildImageUploadedByTapatalk1416811143.664390.jpg

#440 of 453 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,362 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 24 2014 - 05:17 AM

I don't know about now, but in 1994, it was available on Laserdisc, and what's more, Paramount was well aware of what they had, as the blurb on the back of the jacket proves. By the standards of twenty years ago, this Laserdisc was a revelation.

Posted ImageIMG_1376.JPG

Oh, sure, I just meant available in the sense of legal rights. Seems like the rights are tied up in some way or the remaining elements are damaged, or some problem that prevents its availability in the same way that my three other choices are available if Paramount/Warners wanted to do them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users