• Please log in to reply
427 replies to this topic

#401 of 428 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,026 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 21 2013 - 12:16 AM

The Criterion DVD which has been out for some years is framed in 1.66:1, isn't it? And it looks just fine as is. I've never noticed anything "off" when I've watched it.

#402 of 428 john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 628 posts

Posted January 21 2013 - 10:47 AM

The Criterion DVD which has been out for some years is framed in 1.66:1, isn't it? And it looks just fine as is. I've never noticed anything "off" when I've watched it.

If you look at the header of the first VV page at Widescreen Museum, it makes interesing reading as far as 1.66 is concerned. I am sure somewhere I have the BFI chart of film ratios including frame enlargements and this shows an anamorphic print. Do you recall where you saw it Doug?

#403 of 428 Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,380 posts

Posted January 21 2013 - 11:24 AM

Paramount always recommended 1.85:1 as the ideal ratio for VistaVision. They initially adopted 1.66:1 as their official house ratio in March 1953, but switched to 1.85 by the end of 1953.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Snipe_zpsa426c063.jpg

#404 of 428 Jon Lidolt

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted January 22 2013 - 06:59 AM

The Far Horizons is about the Lewis and Clark expedition. It looks like it's filled with more make believe history and racism than even the average Western, but it's hard to tell. Has anyone ever seen this one? I have to say the trailer for it doesn't look that great, but the cast is good, and the scenery would be spectacular in VistaVision: Posted Image

Good cast wasted in a below average movie.

#405 of 428 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted February 21 2013 - 09:05 PM

I have received the German release of The Battle of the River Plate (German title Graf Spee) on Blu-ray. Very nice picture quality for this VistaVision title and I recommend it.

#406 of 428 benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,831 posts

Posted March 02 2013 - 09:25 PM

A new HD master of High Society has just popped up on Amazon Prime, and is "free" to stream for prime members. Looks very good to me! Fans of the film should check it out....
  • lukejosephchung likes this

#407 of 428 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,026 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 02 2013 - 11:54 PM

The clips from High Society that are used in the That's Entertainment Blu-rays always stand out from everything else that surrounds them. The clarity and richness of color are simply astounding.

#408 of 428 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted March 08 2013 - 04:45 AM

High Society is number 2 on my most wanted list. Surely we don't have too long to wait.

#409 of 428 benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,831 posts

Posted June 07 2013 - 03:50 AM

Lawrence Olivier directs and stars in Richard III, in a production filmed in VistaVision. Strong production values. Excellent cast. Almost stunning restoration from problematic original VistaVision elements by Grover Crisp and Co. And Shakespeare, of course. Highly Recommended Criterion release. On sale now at amzn and other places for $20.

Attached Thumbnails

• Richard3.jpg

Edited by benbess, June 07 2013 - 04:06 PM.

#410 of 428 PaulaJ

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted June 07 2013 - 06:10 AM

Is there any possibility that Criterion could license One-Eyed Jacks and FINALLY give it the presentation it deserves on Blu-ray?  (Or -- I wonder if it's one of the Paramount titles licensed to Warner Bros.)

• willyTass and benbess like this
PaulaJ

#411 of 428 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted June 07 2013 - 06:57 AM

Good news about Richard III, the release of another VistaVision blu-ray (and that his remains were recently discovered under a car park).

Olive haven't released any VistaVision titles recently so I assume that most of them will now be released through Warners (if at all). I have always assumed that One Eyed Jacks was a PD title which would account for the terrible DVDs we have endured.

• benbess likes this

#412 of 428 benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,831 posts

Posted June 07 2013 - 11:02 AM

Martin Scorsese introduces Richard III, and goes throught the restoration process:

#413 of 428 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,957 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted June 07 2013 - 11:50 AM

Looks amazing, and pleased to see some familiar names as being involved in some way with the restoration.

• benbess likes this
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#414 of 428 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted June 07 2013 - 01:28 PM

I have received the German release of The Battle of the River Plate (German title Graf Spee) on Blu-ray. Very nice picture quality for this VistaVision title and I recommend it.

It's a lovely transfer, but the film is cut. The deleted scene is included on the disc, but I found it quite jarring.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#415 of 428 benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,831 posts

Posted June 07 2013 - 04:01 PM

from the booklet:

"When it premiered at London's Leicester Square Theatre in December 1955, Richard III ran 161 minutes. Subjected to cuts by both theatrical and television distributors, the film has been shown at various lengths over the years in the United Kingdom and the United States, including versions as much as twenty minutes shorter. In 2012, The Film Foundation completed an extensive digital restoration of a 158-minute cut of the film. This restoration utilized, for the first time, the original VistaVision camera negative, the original YCM separation pro-masters, and footage trimmed from the original negative, to create the longest existing version of the film. All the elements were scanned at 4K resolution at Cineric Inc., in New York, on an Oxberry wet gate scanner. The color correction was done by Sheri Eisenberg at Colorworks, in Culver City, California, using a Baselight 8 color-grading system. The soundtrack was restored from an original 35mm monaural optical track print.

Restoration funding provided by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association and The Film Foundation. Restored by The Film Foundation and Janus Films, in association with the BFI National Archive, ITV Studios Global Entertainment Ltd., the Museum of Modern Art, and Romulus Films.

Restoration supervisors: Grover Crisp, Tom Heitman.
4K mastering: Colorworks, Culver City, CA.
Digital picture restoration: MTI Film, Hollywood.
Soundtrack restoration: Chance Audio by Deluxe, Burbank, CA.

#416 of 428 Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,506 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted June 07 2013 - 05:13 PM

Here'a a typical 1954 Newspaper clip.

VV News item.jpg

• Mark B and benbess like this

#417 of 428 benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,831 posts

Posted June 07 2013 - 09:09 PM

Does anyone here know of any other VistaVision films that are coming out on blu-ray?

#418 of 428 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted June 08 2013 - 01:02 AM

How about The Scarlet Hour, one of Michael Curtiz's last films and one of the least celebrated Vista Vision films?

Scarlet Hour, The.jpg

• benbess likes this

#419 of 428 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted June 09 2013 - 05:18 AM

I have just looked through amazon.co.uk's list of future blu-ray releases. Vertigo (region free) is scheduled for 23 September as a stand-alone release.

#420 of 428 ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Supporting Actor

• 987 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted June 09 2013 - 08:15 AM

Does anyone here know of any other VistaVision films that are coming out on blu-ray?

One title that hasn't been scheduled yet, but might be worth a go on Blu-ray, is George Cukor's Heller in Pink Tights (1960). Judging by the overall quality of Paramount's 2005 DVD, whether the home studio or Warners ran with it, they would at least have something in pretty decent condition to work from. Actually, I was a little startled by how well Heller's SD transfer upscaled to 1080p. Ditto for Li'l Abner.

I still think Paramount/Warners are missing a niche opportunity here by not releasing a specifically branded VistaVision series on Blu-ray. Of principal interest to diehard collectors for sure, but if they showcased and packaged such a series with an eye toward the worldwide market (including some background features and discussion about the VV process, plus other rare vault material), then I think they could command the more premium pricing needed to justify such a series. With its higher native resolution, plus typically less wear and tear on the original negatives, VV should be a natural for high-def video...so beats me why we've only seen a smattering of re-releases of 'the usual suspects' so far. I mean, when even used DVDs of some of these VV titles command $20 to $40 bucks via the aftermarket, then what other motivation does Paramount/Warners need?  

BTW benbess, I've finally caught up with this and the Technicolor thread, and wanted to thank you and everyone else who has contributed to the trove of retro info in both. Great reading folks!

• Mark B and Keith Cobby like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users