Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Ripping CDs for iTunes on my new iMac

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,498 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 11:45 AM

I have run into a bit of a problem:  I have several hundred "home-made" CDs that I've made or received over the past (almost) 15 years which have the paper labels on them with the track info.  Unfortunately, the drive in my Mac gets REALLY fussy with those paper labels (like many car CD players do) and I don't want to ruin my drive, and I hate to lose all that music I accumulated over the years.  Has anyone figured a way to import CDs with labels?  Otherwise, I am looking at getting an external drive, but I want to make sure I am getting one that will be easy to install, Mac-compatible and will accept the paper labelled discs.

Thanks in advance from an iMac newbie!

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,262 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted April 24 2011 - 12:27 AM

Have you checked to see if you can force the CD import to run at only 1X (and not full speed e.g. 16X)? Reducing the speed would reduce the balance problems of poorly labeled CDs, reduce the stress on the drive mechanism, and possibly work better (if slower).

Also, if this is a longstanding problem, if you can get them ripped, do it as highest quality, lossless format, so you never have to do it again. In the future, you can then transcode the lossless ripped files into whatever you need for your iPod, etc.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,575 posts

Posted April 27 2011 - 04:39 AM

I would just get an external drive. They aren't expensive. A simple way to go is get a housing and a Pioneer drive to put in it. NewEgg is a good source. I have a couple drives for capturing music so I don't subject the internal drive to excessive wear.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,498 posts

Posted April 27 2011 - 06:54 AM

Thanks, John.  Apple recommended NewEgg and the prices are pretty cheap, even for good name brands.  Think that's the way I'll go.