-

Photo
- - - - -

How much does a home theater cost?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Werner82

Werner82

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 11:04 PM

Hi, I'm an austrian student and I'm writing my thesis about home theater habits in the US and Europe. therefore, I'm searching for figures, surveys, reports, articles etc. about "how much Amercians spend for their home theaters".

I would very much appreciate your support or any advices!

kind regards

werner

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   johng316

johng316

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 11:35 AM

Hello Werner,

I wish there was an easy answer to this questoin, but I think the correct answer is, "there's a home theater for almost every budget."

I've seen home theaters that were stupidly lavish in excess of $100,000 USD, and some very basic that were less than $400 USD all-in with many DIY components.

I would say most US home theaters begin at around $3000 and end at around $15,000 with those above and below being outliers (this would be a range for those who consider themselves to be fairly serious hobbyists).  You WILL find people who spend less, and you will find people who spend more.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 06:43 AM

This board won't get you a decent answer, because we are all phreaks who spend too much on our home theaters!  I would bet that the actual majority of HT buyers opt for the all-in-one system, costing less than $1000, and a high fraction of those are in the sub-$500 range.

--ignore the man behind the curtain

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted April 26 2011 - 10:18 AM

It also depends on what you consider a "home theater". In my opinion, a home theater requires a front projector and large screen. I think the majority of front projector owner's screens are at least 100" diagonal.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,831 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted April 28 2011 - 05:31 PM

Jim brings up a good point Werner.  In your thesis what do you consider to be a home theater?  A TV with a surround system or are you talking about a dedicated room with a projector or both?