Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Costco selection getting pretty bad

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 of 67 Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,466 posts

Posted January 03 2012 - 02:06 AM

Here in San Antonio, the DVD/Bluray selection has dwindled down to almost nothing also. I was lucky to pick up TZ Blurays for seasons 1,2, and 4 at great prices as well as Mike Hammer (original series). But the section for video has shrunk to a tiny area. Contrast that to Sam's, where the selection for DVD and Bluray is still Quite robust.
See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#42 of 67 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,042 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted August 23 2012 - 07:03 AM

Still bad Posted Image .....

But today I'm here to sing the praises of Costco for stocking several of the Warner "Signature Collection" DVD box sets for $15.99 each.  There are only a couple on Amazon that are currently anywhere near that price.  Even if you don't care about them as "movie star sets" (and I don't), getting four or five movies on WB pressed discs for $15.99, each still packaged in their individual cases, is a steal.

#43 of 67 lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,057 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted August 23 2012 - 07:35 AM

My last visit to the Costco near the San Francisco Int'l. Airport, I found a batch of Warner's deluxe digibook BD's selling for $10.99!!! The selection included the original RKO "King Kong", "Mutiny On The Bounty"(1937) and "A Star Is Born"(1954)...I doubt those will be in stock much longer at THAT price...Posted Image

#44 of 67 Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,466 posts

Posted August 23 2012 - 07:45 AM

Still bad here at my local Costco, BUT, I did manage to find Blurays of Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion and Grosse Pointe Blank which I had not been able to find at ANY other of my local B&M's.

#45 of 67 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted August 23 2012 - 07:46 AM

My last visit to the Costco near the San Francisco Int'l. Airport, I found a batch of Warner's deluxe digibook BD's selling for $10.99!!! The selection included the original RKO "King Kong", "Mutiny On The Bounty"(1937) and "A Star Is Born"(1954)...I doubt those will be in stock much longer at THAT price...:tu:

We knew all about that 2 weeks ago. You should keep tabs on the consolidated HD bargain thread so you won't miss out on these deals!

#46 of 67 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,964 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted August 23 2012 - 09:09 AM

Yep. Also in that batch was the very hard to find Willy Wonka digi book. I saw the CRITIERON BBS story for $63 also week and the Star is Born Box of goodies for $55

facebook.com/whotony

#47 of 67 Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 1,805 posts

Posted August 23 2012 - 09:47 AM

My last visit to the Costco near the San Francisco Int'l. Airport, I found a batch of Warner's deluxe digibook BD's selling for $10.99!!! The selection included the original RKO "King Kong", "Mutiny On The Bounty"(1937) and "A Star Is Born"(1954)...I doubt those will be in stock much longer at THAT price...:tu:

Thanks for updating this post!! I too saw the WB digi books. Was really tempted on A Star Is Born and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for $11 each!! I did pick up 4 of the new Marilyn Monroe blu rays for $9.99 each. It's getting very thin though. Hopefully they keep the titles and surprises coming. I have Bond 50 pre ordered from Amazon, but wonder if they will have a cool exclusive or something. I'm also seeing the news about individual releases coming of the Bond films and I wonder if Costco would get these as well. Sans the Wal Mart exclusive 007 titles of course. Bond 50 does have a bonus disc of content and that is keeping it going for me right now..

#48 of 67 Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah

• 1,373 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted August 23 2012 - 09:50 AM

I picked up King Kong digibook for 10.49.

Our company had reps from Costco here today and I mentioned that he BR selection is getting pretty dismal.  He concurred and the only suggestion he could offer was to submit the desire for more BRs in the suggestion box.  Apparently they do get read.

#49 of 67 Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 1,805 posts

Posted December 08 2012 - 04:26 AM

I found Jaws on blu ray for $9.99 a few weeks ago. I also picked up the Universal Hitchcock BD set at Costco for $160.

#50 of 67 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,042 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted December 08 2012 - 12:07 PM

I never know what to expect any more.  My store has Hitchcock and the deluxe Lawrence of Arabia box, but never brought in the Universal Monsters which I thought would be an obvious crowd-pleaser.  Maybe I'm wrong.

They're excellent right now on Warner Brothers sets such as the Joan Crawford and Marx Brothers box sets for $12.99 each -- an unheard of price level for these.  A month or two ago they had the "Signature" collections (Bogart and Bacall, etc.) and the Charlie Chan sets for something like $15.99 each (not sure of the exact amount, but it was a no-brainer compared to what these still go for elsewhere).

Ya just gotta keep showing up once a week or so.

#51 of 67 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,209 posts

Posted December 08 2012 - 12:30 PM

The Universal Monster BD showed up at my local store (2 trays worth) and I don't think a single one sold.  The price was rather high ($99) and I have a feeling that those who really wanted it did what I did, and that was to import from Amazon UK for about half the price.

There are some really good deals though I've seen. The  deluxe box of Sound of Music is $19.99 and TV on BD for about $13 a season.  They also have the Dick Van Dyke complete BD set for $150 or so.

Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#52 of 67 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,042 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted December 08 2012 - 12:35 PM

I forgot -- you're quite right about the price of the US edition of the Universal Monsters set.  NOT exactly a crowd-pleaser, unfortunately.

#53 of 67 Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 1,805 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 08:24 AM

Costco had the complete Twilight Zone and Dick Van Dyke show for $150 or so each. The sale has ended however. I haven't been there in a few weeks.

#54 of 67 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,127 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted January 31 2013 - 10:00 AM

I think it's good to have this thread to alert us to what pops up at Costco from time to time, when they do get something good. I saw the DVD Blu package in December but I bought the Hitchcock set and couldn't swing both. I've since seen DVD used for $165 so I'm sure I'll pick that one up eventually. This last week I was happy to see the new Woody Allen Blus and Titanic for $9 along with a nice assortment of WB and Universal blu catalog titles marked down.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#55 of 67 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,859 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted January 31 2013 - 10:09 AM

I picked up the Prometheus 3D set at Costco last week for $19.49.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#56 of 67 Porfirio

Porfirio

Second Unit

• 256 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 10:31 AM

Costco has received a new assortment (#732583) of Warner digibooks for $13.99. I only saw the following three: Citizen Kane: 70th Anniversary Edition Camelot (1967) A Streetcar Named Desire

#57 of 67 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,964 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted January 31 2013 - 05:50 PM

Crap never mind.

facebook.com/whotony

#58 of 67 Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,466 posts

Posted February 01 2013 - 01:31 AM

Selection has gotten so bad at my Costco, that I quit going. Perhaps I should check it out now.

#59 of 67 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,042 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted February 07 2013 - 08:18 AM

From what I'm seeing here, the selection from one store to another, or maybe one region to another, is getting much more erratic than it ever was...and not in MY favor!  Posted Image

#60 of 67 Eric Vedowski

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit

• 289 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted February 08 2013 - 03:13 AM

My local Costco has almost no DVD/Blu-Ray selection anymore but the next closest one has a huge selection. I guess it depends on what sells where.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users