Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Help with a station logo?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   smithb

• 1,536 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 01:07 PM

I recently saw a station logo on a disk that was showing the TV shows Range Rider and The Rebel. The logo said Encore within a triangle with a plus sign (+) below it. Anyone familiar with this logo? Was it an earlier incarnation of the Encore channel we know of today?

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,341 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted April 21 2011 - 01:57 PM

Brad, I don't watch that many programs on the "other" Encore channels.  Could it have been a spur?

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   smithb

• 1,536 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 04:59 PM

I think I figured it out. Along with the Encore+ there was a reference to Encore 3. Apparently, the Starz Encore channels used number identifiers for their many channels back in the 90's (stopping in 1996 when they went with subject matter names instead). Encore 3 was for westerns, which makes sense based on the shows I referenced.

This is good news for me since I've only been paying attention to Encore Western for the last couple of years. It shows they can mix it up from time to time. I'd like a chance to see some more of the obscure short run westerns of the past like The Rebel and Range Rider. Hopefully, some of these will get another run some day letting me experience some other oldies for the first time.

Since I've been paying attention, I've seen the following shown:

- Cheyenne

- Maverick

- Cimarron Strip

- Lawman

- Gunsmoke (b/w 60 minute)

- Have Gun Will Travel

- Virginian

- Wagon Train

Just as I was getting started the following went off the air:

- Rifleman

And we know on 2012 starts:

- Rawhide

Anyone know of others that have played at one time or another on Encore (that may make a comeback some day)

- Big Valley (I know this one aired some time back)

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Tom.W

Stunt Coordinator

• 139 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 05:51 PM

Brad, In addition to The Rebel and Range Rider, Wanted: Dead or Alive and The Gene Autry Show aired in the mid-nineties on the Encore Western channel. By that time, the switch to theme names had occurred. There may have been a few others before the switch. One show I'd like to see Encore pick up is Tales of Wells Fargo - the b/w half hours. I'm happy they're doing a nice job with Wagon Train. Did anyone notice they skipped The Swift Cloud Story (#66) and instead The Andrew Hale Story in its place, and again in its proper order?

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   DeWilson

• 2,193 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 09:33 PM

The "Plus" was for the multi-format channel - for cable systems that didn't have room to carry all of the ENCORE channels, they created a channel that one day a week would run the feed for one of the other ENCORE channels. The "Plus" Branding was so it could be identified separately from the main channel the programing was on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users