What's new

Recommend a Good War Movie on Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Now that we're only a month away from Memorial Day, I tend to get into a war movie mentality. I have many favorites, but I am looking for something with an exceptional story and presentation (please, no Patton. I love it, but the Blu ray is too painful).

Favorites of mine:

The Bridge on the River Kwai

Saving Private Ryan

Rescue Dawn

What am I missing?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The Thin Red Line on a glorious Criterion Blu-ray disc.

Paths of Glory on a superb Criterion Blu-ray disc.

I guess I sound like a Criterion cheerleader (and I do review their discs here), but these masterpieces have been done great justice on Criterion.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A reminder that one of the best "War" films in my opinion is coming out on 05-03-11 and that's Twelve O'Clock High.

Crawdaddy

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
From thedigitalbits.com 3/16/11:

"We'd love to say that Patton and Master and Commander have been given new HD masters, but it's unlikely as these appear to be the same discs as before, just with new packaging."

Is there any confirmation of this? It appears to be a simple repackaging effort. Master and Commander has a pretty darn good transfer already, but Patton, well...............................needs a little work. Maybe a more accurate statement is it needs less work than it got the first time.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Cinescott on that topic. The word is that Fox took to heart the criticism of the Patton BRD and that this new release will address those criticisms.

Crawdaddy

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford on that topic. The word is that Fox took to heart the criticism of the Patton BRD and that this new release will address those criticisms.

Crawdaddy

Wow. That would totally make my day.

Other good war films on BD:

A Bridge Too Far

Battle of Britain

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Glory is my favorite movie of all time. I can't comment on the blu's PQ since my PS3 died before I got around to watching it. :(

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
The "war movie" banner can stretch wide and include titles that don't appeal to everyone, and are essentially anti-war movies or stories told from the opposing side. But I'll name a few that aren't among the fine titles already mentioned.

Clint Eastwood's 'Letters From Iwo Jima'. Kubrick's 'Full Metal Jacket'.

Some are not movies at all, but HBO series 'Band of Brothers' and 'The Pacific', which I consider as worthy as most any theatrical movie.

That's all for now.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
"Zulu" looks fantastic, and is a great story, if you want to expand your definition to include major British war folly in Africa. Non-BD, one of the best war story films ever, IMO, is Peter Weir's "Gallipoli," starring Mel Gibson, about two Australian soldiers during World War I.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic

"Zulu" looks fantastic, and is a great story, if you want to expand your definition to include major British war folly in Africa. Non-BD, one of the best war story films ever, IMO, is Peter Weir's "Gallipoli," starring Mel Gibson, about two Australian soldiers during World War I.

Agreed regarding Gallipoli. I have the DVD and the movie is a classic. Will make a tremendous Blu ray. I love the electronic sountrack. Very 80s, but very modern as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks