What's new

What James Bond film needs to be released in the next boxed set? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
With anticipation that Fox/MGM will release another

wave of Bond Blu-rays this holiday season, we are

interested to know which single Bond film you would

like to see included in this next wave.

We have included a poll with the 8 remaining films

that still have yet to be released to the format.

BTW, I think what I predict to be the most popular

of the remaining James Bond films (TSWLM) will

probably be released last. Hope I am wrong.

Visit our
imgrepo
DVD,
imgrepo
BLU-RAY and
imgrepo
3D REVIEW ARCHIVES

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Great poll idea, Ron! Can't wait to see how things fall with some wonderful films still not released.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure that Spy Who Loved Me will not be released until Bond 23 comes out on Blu-ray in mid 2013.

The big question for me is whether they'll try to do a special 50th Anniversary edition of Dr. No. But as I said in an earlier thread, I have no idea what additional extras they could provide for such a release at this point. I don't see Sean Connery doing a commentary, and we've heard from pretty much everybody else they could possibly find. Maybe they could license the infamous Criterion commentary for old time's sake...

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
My very close second choice is You Only Live Twice, followed by The Living Daylights. It would be really nice to have these titles released individually as well, since there are several Bond titles I have no interest in purchasing.

Real Name
Karl Pozorski
Since there are three movies from the Connery/Lazenby era, the Moore era and the Dalton/Brosnan era, each of the three remaining sets should have 1 movie from each era. My personal preference for the first set would be: Goldeneye, Spy Who Loved Me and You Only Live Twice.

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
My choice for the box will be:

1) The Spy who loved me

2) On her Majestyk Secret Service

3) Diamonds are Forever

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My own preference would be for "On Her Majesty's Secret Service".

But, I'd also love to be able to buy "You Only Live Twice" for my dad (his favorite Bond film).

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by Mr. Pacino

My choice for the box will be:

1) The Spy who loved me

2) On her Majestyk Secret Service

3) Diamonds are Forever

That would be the top three choices of all those movies for me as well. But I guess they'd probably mix up the most popular titles with less popular titles for each set.

So who thinks, or wishes, that when all 24 are out on blu that they might go back and make larger boxed sets either in chronological order, or by actor? Do you think they'd make a Connery set, then a Moore set, and maybe a Dalton/Brosnan/Lazenby set? Am I asking too much...? Quite frankly I'd rather have the films put out that way, and the fact that they haven't proceeded chronologically is one small reason I've yet to add the earlier Bond films to my blu collection (that should change within the next year regardless). I was gonna buy Never Say Never Again since it's outside of this canon, but everybody told me to wait because the blu is actually missing a scene...I wonder if they ever fixed that...

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
My vote is a little of everything:

Diamonds Are Forever

On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Octopussy

Tomorrow Never Dies

That would leave couple of better ones for the last wave.

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
Originally Posted by johnbr

How about releasing them in by the actor box sets.

This will never happen, because everyone has their favorite 007 actor, so sets featuring at least one film by each actor would sell better than one with all Connery, say, or all Moore. That's why the DVD boxed sets from 2006 had the films is totally random order, so each set would have at least one Connery, Moore and Brosnan film.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
"On Her Majesty's Secret Service" and "Goldeneye." After that I'll be happy with anything, since "Moonraker" is already out and so has done all the damage it can!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am rather surprised by the results so far

in that On Her Majesty's Secret Service is

overtaking The Spy Who Loved Me.

Been many years since I watched OHMSS.

The film featured a "one time" Bond actor, but

if memory serves me correctly, it wasn't a bad

film at all. Seems to me by the results posted

here that it probably is even better than I remembered.

Visit our
imgrepo
DVD,
imgrepo
BLU-RAY and
imgrepo
3D REVIEW ARCHIVES

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
The main reason I would like to see "The Spy Who Loved Me" out on Blu as soon as possible is due to the fact that the so-called "Ultimate DVD" of the movie is riddled with EE for about the first 45 minutes of the movie. I mean, we're talking almost "Die Hard 3" bad here ...

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
Originally Posted by Joseph Bolus

The main reason I would like to see "The Spy Who Loved Me" out on Blu as soon as possible is due to the fact that the so-called "Ultimate DVD" of the movie is riddled with EE for about the first 45 minutes of the movie. I mean, we're talking almost "Die Hard 3" bad here ...
Same here. By the way the all the recent HD prints I have seen (HDTV, iTunes, and Netflix streaming) don't have the EE that was problem with the DVD.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
I think OHMSS was closest to the original novels in it's presentation. Lazenby may not be the best Bond, but I think the movie was very well done and consistent. (Of course, having Diana Rigg is a big plus!)

Jim_E

Stunt Coordinator
OHMSS for me too - an excellent film. It would have been interesting to see what Connery would have done if he'd played Bond in it, but the criticism Lazenby has come in for is somewhat unjustified.

I saw the restored digital 'print' that will presumably be the basis of the Blu-Ray a couple of years ago at the NFT in London, it looked great, and had the correct colour timing of the beach sequence as well (unlike the DVD I believe). Unfortunately it did have windowbox credits, which doesn't really have any place on a cinema screen or Blu-Ray.

If anyone is interested in the making of OHMSS there's an excellent book by Charles Helfenstein available on Amazon.com. Expensive ($50) but meticulously researched and a great read. Just seen from the reviews on there that no less an expert than John Cork feels the same way!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I would agree that SPY WHO LOVED ME and OHMSS would be great for the next set, but I would substitute YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE for DAF. Of course, this won't happen, because, in order to sell these as three sets, at least one title in each wave needs to be one of the weaker ones. Wasn't the next theatrical Bond scheduled for mid '12? Maybe I read wrong.

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
I voted for A View to a Kill (Christopher Walken, Grace Jones and even Dolph Lundgren in a minor role...) but it was really a toss up between that and The Living Daylights (I do like Dalton as Bond but the fact that I caught one of A-ha's final concerts in Oslo last year may play a part as well). As a third option for a box set I'd go with On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks