Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What James Bond film needs to be released in the next boxed set?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
89 replies to this topic

#1 of 90 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,619 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 02:23 AM

With anticipation that Fox/MGM will release another

wave of Bond Blu-rays this holiday season, we are

interested to know which single Bond film you would

like to see included in this next wave.

We have included a poll with the 8 remaining films

that still have yet to be released to the format.

BTW, I think what I predict to be the most popular

of the remaining James Bond films (TSWLM) will

probably be released last.  Hope I am wrong.

Visit our http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/DVDhttp://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/BLU-RAY and http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/3D REVIEW ARCHIVES

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 90 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,621 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 20 2011 - 03:03 AM

Great poll idea, Ron! Can't wait to see how things fall with some wonderful films still not released.

#3 of 90 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,822 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 04:02 AM

I'm pretty sure that Spy Who Loved Me will not be released until Bond 23 comes out on Blu-ray in mid 2013.

The big question for me is whether they'll try to do a special 50th Anniversary edition of Dr. No.  But as I said in an earlier thread, I have no idea what additional extras they could provide for such a release at this point.  I don't see Sean Connery doing a commentary, and we've heard from pretty much everybody else they could possibly find.  Maybe they could license the infamous Criterion commentary for old time's sake...

#4 of 90 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,077 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted April 20 2011 - 04:13 AM

My very close second choice is You Only Live Twice, followed by The Living Daylights. It would be really nice to have these titles released individually as well, since there are several Bond titles I have no interest in purchasing.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#5 of 90 OFFLINE   Karl Pozorski

Karl Pozorski

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 04:32 AM

Since there are three movies from the Connery/Lazenby era, the Moore era and the Dalton/Brosnan era, each of the three remaining sets should have 1 movie from each era. My personal preference for the first set would be: Goldeneye, Spy Who Loved Me and You Only Live Twice.

#6 of 90 OFFLINE   Mr. Pacino

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit

• 346 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 04:47 AM

My choice for the box will be:

1) The Spy who loved me

2) On her Majestyk Secret Service

3) Diamonds are Forever

#7 of 90 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,719 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 05:53 AM

My own preference would be for "On Her Majesty's Secret Service".

But, I'd also love to be able to buy "You Only Live Twice" for my dad (his favorite Bond film).

#8 of 90 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Pacino 

My choice for the box will be:

1) The Spy who loved me

2) On her Majestyk Secret Service

3) Diamonds are Forever

That would be the top three choices of all those movies for me as well. But I guess they'd probably mix up the most popular titles with less popular titles for each set.

So who thinks, or wishes, that when all 24 are out on blu that they might go back and make larger boxed sets either in chronological order, or by actor? Do you think they'd make a Connery set, then a Moore set, and maybe a Dalton/Brosnan/Lazenby set? Am I asking too much...? Quite frankly I'd rather have the films put out that way, and the fact that they haven't proceeded chronologically is one small reason I've yet to add the earlier Bond films to my blu collection (that should change within the next year regardless). I was gonna buy Never Say Never Again since it's outside of this canon, but everybody told me to wait because the blu is actually missing a scene...I wonder if they ever fixed that...

#9 of 90 OFFLINE   Ted Van Duyn

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 08:11 AM

I voted "The Living Daylights". My favorite Bond movie.

#10 of 90 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,857 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 20 2011 - 08:13 AM

My vote is a little of everything:

Diamonds Are Forever

On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Octopussy

Tomorrow Never Dies

That would leave couple of better ones for the last wave.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#11 of 90 OFFLINE   johnbr

johnbr

Stunt Coordinator

• 148 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 09:43 AM

How about releasing them in by the actor box sets.

#12 of 90 OFFLINE   Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by johnbr 

How about releasing them in by the actor box sets.

This will never happen, because everyone has their favorite 007 actor, so sets featuring at least one film by each actor would sell better than one with all Connery, say, or all Moore. That's why the DVD boxed sets from 2006 had the films is totally random order, so each set would have at least one Connery, Moore and Brosnan film.

#13 of 90 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 913 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 11:56 AM

"On Her Majesty's Secret Service" and "Goldeneye." After that I'll be happy with anything, since "Moonraker" is already out and so has done all the damage it can!

#14 of 90 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,619 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 12:05 PM

I am rather surprised by the results so far

in that On Her Majesty's Secret Service is

overtaking The Spy Who Loved Me.

Been many years since I watched OHMSS.

The film featured a "one time" Bond actor, but

if memory serves me correctly, it wasn't a bad

film at all.  Seems to me by the results posted

here that it probably is even better than I remembered.

Visit our http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/DVDhttp://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/BLU-RAY and http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/3D REVIEW ARCHIVES

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#15 of 90 OFFLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,193 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 12:50 PM

The main reason I would like to see "The Spy Who Loved Me" out on Blu as soon as possible is due to the fact that the so-called "Ultimate DVD" of the movie is riddled with EE for about the first 45 minutes of the movie.  I mean, we're talking almost "Die Hard 3" bad here ...

Joseph
---------------

#16 of 90 OFFLINE   JoeBond

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Joseph Bolus 

The main reason I would like to see "The Spy Who Loved Me" out on Blu as soon as possible is due to the fact that the so-called "Ultimate DVD" of the movie is riddled with EE for about the first 45 minutes of the movie.  I mean, we're talking almost "Die Hard 3" bad here ...

Same here. By the way the all the recent HD prints I have seen (HDTV, iTunes, and Netflix streaming) don't have the EE that was problem with the DVD.

#17 of 90 OFFLINE   LarryH

LarryH

Supporting Actor

• 552 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 03:13 PM

I think OHMSS was closest to the original novels in it's presentation.  Lazenby may not be the best Bond, but I think the movie was very well done and consistent.  (Of course, having Diana Rigg is a big plus!)

#18 of 90 OFFLINE   Jim_E

Jim_E

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 11:36 PM

OHMSS for me too - an excellent film. It would have been interesting to see what Connery would have done if he'd played Bond in it, but the criticism Lazenby has come in for is somewhat unjustified.

I saw the restored digital 'print' that will presumably be the basis of the Blu-Ray a couple of years ago at the NFT in London, it looked great, and had the correct colour timing of the beach sequence as well (unlike the DVD I believe). Unfortunately it did have windowbox credits, which doesn't really have any place on a cinema screen or Blu-Ray.

If anyone is interested in the making of OHMSS there's an excellent book by Charles Helfenstein available on Amazon.com. Expensive ($50) but meticulously researched and a great read. Just seen from the reviews on there that no less an expert than John Cork feels the same way!

#19 of 90 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,260 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 08:50 AM

I would agree that SPY WHO LOVED ME and OHMSS would be great for the next set, but I would substitute YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE for DAF. Of course, this won't happen, because, in order to sell these as three sets, at least one title in each wave needs to be one of the weaker ones. Wasn't the next theatrical Bond scheduled for mid '12? Maybe I read wrong.

#20 of 90 OFFLINE   Ferdinand Hudson

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 09:40 AM

I voted for A View to a Kill (Christopher Walken, Grace Jones and even Dolph Lundgren in a minor role...) but it was really a toss up between that and The Living Daylights (I do like Dalton as Bond but the fact that I caught one of A-ha's final concerts in Oslo last year may play a part as well). As a third option for a box set I'd go with On Her Majesty's Secret Service.