Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Samsung Omnia 7, any thoughts?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   davesmith

davesmith

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 10:34 PM

I can get it for £28 upfront then £15 a month for 24 months.

It seems really cheap so I'm very very close to going for it.

Anyone have any thoughts about the handset itself, and anything I should consider before going for a Windows Phone 7 handset. Is WP7 nice to use, any functionality omitted that I might miss going from the iOS on my iTouch?

cheers

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,460 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 09:05 AM

The only person I know of on the entire HTF who has any experience with WP7 is Adam G.  He said he was buying one when they were being released.

FYI, the Omnia has 8GB internal and cannot be expanded via SD card.  Some people can get by with that, but the mp3 collection alone is bigger than that on my Evo.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,294 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted April 24 2011 - 12:21 AM

If I wanted a smartphone that was best of class, had tremendous developer support, and a history of solid OS updates, I would not buy a WIndows Phone 7.

If I liked playing with technology, was an iconoclast that refused to own what everyone else owned, and wanted to buy something that might be as good as everything else in six months to a year, then I'd consider WP7.

The reviews on WP7 are generally positive, noting that the system, while showing promise, is still immature and unproved compared to iPhone and Android. But it has a few tricks up its sleeve that nothing else does; it might be worth reading the reviews and demoing one to see if those features are specifically what you want.