What's new

Is "The Time Machine" (1960) ever coming to Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Is there any word on this one? With as many older flicks that are out it's hard to see why this hasn't gotten a Blu-ray yet. Wouldn't mind some new special features too. That documentary on the DVD is nice for something made in 1993, but I'd love to see something a little more definitive and in-depth like most newer DVD/Blu-ray releases have. I'm sure it won't get one of those super releases that some older films have gotten, (though I'd buy it if they did), but a Blu-ray with a good HD tranfer and a nice new documentary (hopefully while Rod Taylor and Alan Young are still with us) would satisfy me very much.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Love the film! Would be a day one purchase for me probably. What studio owns The Time Machine from 1960? I think it was originally MGM, wasn't it? And isn't it amazing to think that they did this whole movie for about $850,000. Even at the time that was quite impressive. I've loved this one since I saw it on TV with my best friend in 1973 at the age of 8. We played make believe time machine after that. Showed it to my kids on DVD a few years ago, and it still held up. Yes, the special effects were very, very low budget compared to what we see today even on TV, but they put their hearts into it and did the best with what they had. Terrific cast too...

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This is one I would expect to see on Blu-ray within a few years. It's been a tremendous cash cow for them since its 1960 theatrical release. Warner Bros.owns it, so it would look great.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by Dick
This is one I would expect to see on Blu-ray within a few years. It's been a tremendous cash cow for them since its 1960 theatrical release. Warner Bros.owns it, so it would look great.
Warner~! Yes. I love most of their releases. And they do a lot of em, and so there's hope for this one I think....

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon Lewis
It would be nice to see a blu-ray double bill from Warner with both the 1960 and 2002 version.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I just heard the music from the 1960 Time Machine on Cinemagic yesterday, and I was reminded of how well it fit the different moods of the movie. The composer was not a name I recognized, I'm ashamed to say, but it seemed like very nice work. One of the pleasures of blu-ray is being able to hear these scores in high def, almost like you're in the room with the orchestra. Of course this was almost certainly mono, and so it won't be that great, but I'd still love to hear it in high rez, even in mono...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I watch this every year during the Holidays! I'm in too.

And I hope they include the featurette with Rod Taylor on the making of the film, The Journey Back that includes the short film with Alan Young.

It's all clear!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by benbess
I just heard the music from the 1960 Time Machine on Cinemagic yesterday, and I was reminded of how well it fit the different moods of the movie. The composer was not a name I recognized, I'm ashamed to say, but it seemed like very nice work. One of the pleasures of blu-ray is being able to hear these scores in high def, almost like you're in the room with the orchestra. Of course this was almost certainly mono, and so it won't be that great, but I'd still love to hear it in high rez, even in mono...
Russell Garcia's wonderful, memorable score for THE TIME MACHINE is fortunately available on CD from FSM (Film Score Monthly). Check their web site - it's still in print.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Glad to see a lot of love for this film. Havent been around these boards for a long time, so I was wondering; does HTF still have those chats with Warner Home Video every once in a while? If those are still held, The Time Machine getting a Blu-ray definately needs to be brought up on the next one.

I'd hope that it wouldn't be put in one of those double feature releases with the remake. I feel that would nix the chances of it getting some new special features and just be a rehash of the DVD.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Me too. I've loved it dearly for years, and it would be a first day buy. I'd also really hope for a respectable standalone release as opposed to a double feature with the remake, which I have no interest in whatever.

MovieLover

Auditioning
Real Name
Glenn Miller
Yes, I would buy a Blu-ray edition too.
I saw the "The Time Machine" when it was first released in 1960 (as an 11-year old) :rolleyes:. The thrill of peering into the VERY distance future (802,701) still makes me smile and contemplate it all. Aside from the out-dated effects (great back then), the music (Russell Garcia), the wonderful machine, the cast (Rod Taylor, Alan Young, Yvette Mimieux, Sebastian Cabot, ...) and the dialog still hold their own.
If you're a real fan, be sure to visit: http://colemanzone.com/Time_Machine_Project/project.htm

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
I'll buy as well! One of my favorites from my childhood even though I was born 20 years after it was released.

Real Name
Anthony
At the digitalbits panel at Comic Con, George Feltenstein said that WB intend to release 40-50 catalogue titles next year. As I believe I've seen TEH TIME MACHINE on an HD channel, I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of them; though I speak from no position of knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks