-

Photo
- - - - -

Is "The Time Machine" (1960) ever coming to Blu-ray?

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#41 of 128 OFFLINE   Tommy R

Tommy R

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted November 19 2011 - 07:09 PM

It seems everytime I walk through BestBuy there are more and more movies getting BluRay releases, even movies that are older than The Time Machine are getting these super big box set editions, yet The Time Machine is still ignored. :( I really hope that it can get a BR release by next year. I don't need a super big boxset edition like Ben-Hur or Ten Commandments have gotten (though I'd buy one if they did make one! :D). I'd probably buy the remake as well, but I'm not clamouring for that one in particular.

#42 of 128 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,327 posts

Posted November 20 2011 - 03:12 AM

Yes, the end of the year is approaching. Time for my yearly viewing of this, but on blu ray! :)

#43 of 128 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,795 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted November 22 2011 - 04:54 AM

I bought that 4-movie set with Time Machine and other classics on it. Can't wait to give it a spin. Definitely IS the best "time" to watch nearing the end of the year.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#44 of 128 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,327 posts

Posted December 28 2011 - 07:47 PM

I just had my yearly viewing of The Time Machine DVD a little earlier then New Years, but this year on my new TV that is able to do full 1080, verses my old set that did 720. I was really impressed, having seen this well mastered DVD every year since 2000 or so when the DVD came out, this is the best viewing experience. The up conversion looked really impressive. When they finally put this on blu ray, I imagine the areas a blu ray transfer will improve upon is the color saturation and contrast levels. This time viewing, I really noticed the purple colored gels used for the lamps in George's house. And the green gels were more apparent in the underground world. This will be an impressive looking blu ray. The fake looking background painting of the underground world should be less obvious!

#45 of 128 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,833 posts

Posted December 28 2011 - 11:12 PM

Another vote for this classic film. Twilight Time??

#46 of 128 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,266 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted December 29 2011 - 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by benbess 

Another vote for this classic film. Twilight Time??

No, Warners doesn't usually farm out their Warner or MGM titles to others. But if they could give us Forbidden Planet, The Time Machine would seem like a natural afterthought.

#47 of 128 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,327 posts

Posted December 29 2011 - 04:24 AM

I like to think that the 1960 The Time Machine, 1953 War of The Worlds and 1951 When Worlds Collide would make the best trio of George Pal films to be released on blu ray. :) I hope Paramount will have those latter two in the works soon. Warner did a great job on the North By Northwest and Bullitt blu ray, so The Machine Time should be great! And I look forward to seeing the Forbidden Planet blu ray on the new TV!

#48 of 128 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted December 29 2011 - 05:31 AM

Blu-ray would be the obvious format to upgrade THE TIME MACHINE to but I fear the studio has no interest in upgrading this title. If anything, it will likely show up on MOD if they ever re-release it. Everything that isn't going to be on Blu-ray will get dumped into MOD from now on, unfortunately. Sign of the times.

#49 of 128 OFFLINE   Paul_Warren

Paul_Warren

Second Unit

• 400 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted December 29 2011 - 06:27 AM

I like to think that the 1960 The Time Machine, 1953 War of The Worlds and 1951 When Worlds Collide would make the best trio of George Pal films to be released on blu ray. :) I hope Paramount will have those latter two in the works soon. Warner did a great job on the North By Northwest and Bullitt blu ray, so The Machine Time should be great! And I look forward to seeing the Forbidden Planet blu ray on the new TV!

When Worlds Collide is one I am really looking forward to Spielberg is producing a big budget remake with Stephen Sommers directing that's taking ages to start filming I should imagine that will be when we get the Bluray of the clasic but even though its only 1:37 AR the movie is still classic 1950's sci-fi & features John Hoyt (the Doctor from the Trek original cage episode pilot ) in a wheelchair as the crazed billionaire financier.

#50 of 128 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,327 posts

Posted December 29 2011 - 06:35 AM

What's MOD? I hope the love for The Time Machine is great enough for Warners to move ahead with a blu ray! There's got to be! Edit: oh, is that Movies On Demand where Warners will rip a DVD for you? I didn't know they would be doing that for blu ray.

#51 of 128 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,327 posts

Posted December 29 2011 - 06:59 AM

Hey Paul, good point about the remake coming that could inspire the release of the 1951 version on blu ray. Somehow, I am dubious of a remake. I hate to sound negative. After seeing 2012, that to me felt like a remake of When Worlds Collide, and I fully expected spaceships at the end. So it was a surprise to see how it ended. So to remake WWC, I have to wonder how they approach it. Because we've seen the world end a lot! :) Edit: I just realized the film is based on a 1933 novel, I've not read it, but I imagine that is the source material to draw from for a remake. And I know the 1951 film had a lot more ambitious goals with effects and so on, so a remake will no doubt be able to CGI the heck out of the original!

#52 of 128 OFFLINE   CDS SE Texas

CDS SE Texas

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted March 02 2012 - 10:39 AM

Yep same age, I use to watch in once a year. When I lived in Germany it was a favorite there too! Restored Blu Ray _ I hope to see it soon.

#53 of 128 OFFLINE   Tommy R

Tommy R

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted April 17 2012 - 03:31 PM

I started this thread a year ago today and still no Blu-ray nor news of a Blu-ray. :( Although, hopefully this means that Warner is planning on giving it a worthy release and not just slapping what's already on the DVD onto a Blu-ray disc, which I think they could've easily done by now. It seems that a lot of studios have put out plently of quick releases of catalogue movies on Blu-ray. Warner seems to do a lot of all-out super editions for older flicks, so maybe it's a good sign that we havent seen a quick Blu-ray already.

#54 of 128 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,855 posts

Posted April 17 2012 - 11:36 PM

I would also love a Blu-ray. I watch this movie once a year around the Christmas holidays, and it's one of the best of its type.

#55 of 128 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,266 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 18 2012 - 12:03 AM

I never tire of watching this or The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao, both George Pal productions.

#56 of 128 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted April 18 2012 - 03:47 AM

Sorry I don't have any sexy pictures of Yvette. http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/ http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

#57 of 128 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,327 posts

Posted April 18 2012 - 04:09 AM

Great poster art Richard! The art for science fiction film posters and paperback covers of that era of the late 50's and early 70's, before too much influence from 2001 and Star Wars is great stuff! If you ask me, it sparks the imagination more! I'm sure someone will post an image of Yvette.:)

#58 of 128 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,918 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted April 18 2012 - 04:55 AM

well while we wait, the good news is WB is bringing something else, Guess The Incredible Mr. Limpit is on its way to blu

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#59 of 128 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted April 18 2012 - 06:57 AM

Great poster art Richard! The art for science fiction film posters and paperback covers of that era of the late 50's and early 70's, before too much influence from 2001 and Star Wars is great stuff! If you ask me, it sparks the imagination more! I'm sure someone will post an image of Yvette.:)

Yes, old sci-fi posters are an inspiration. Let's see if I can get it to come out bigger: Posted Image six-sheet Posted Image one-sheet I have more George Pal posters, if anyone wants to see them.

#60 of 128 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,266 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 18 2012 - 08:14 AM

I can tell you those Morlocks scared me to death when I first saw them at the movies.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users