Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Recommend me a good Mac contact management software...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,277 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted April 15 2011 - 06:56 AM

Have a client that has been using ACT 5.0 for MAC for a very long time.    As of current, Sage is not coming out with a Mac version, and their basic response has been "you can run parralels" which is fine, but they aren't throwing that on their G5 powermac (do not ask).   Anyone have any contact management software for Mac they'd throw a recommend behind that is OSX native? Goldmine, which they have also used doesn't have a Mac version either, so I'm struggling to come up with a name that I know
trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   don monteith

don monteith

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted April 16 2011 - 02:53 AM

Use FileMaker Pro.  That program can do just about anything they would need. Don

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,641 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 10:25 AM

FileMaker Pro is a remarkable app, but more than a little overkill for contact management.  There is a scaled back version (I forget the name) that may be just perfect.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,277 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 10:33 AM

I think what happens here is that I have someone who has always used ACT! to manage contacts and it handles their correspondance as well (they store and write their letters in it)  It keeps track of things like: when they called, when they had referrals, who referred them, letters/correspondance.   I'm  struggling to come up wth a replacement for their old ACT.   Both ACT and Goldmine are now PC only.   I haven't found any that do this, but she's committed to the Mac platform and I'm not going to have her have two PCs to use one app..
trakt.tv

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,641 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 10:38 AM

I guarantee there is something for Filemaker or its scaled down version.  You need to understand Filemaker is a different animal.  It is not a complete solution, but an engine.  Then you use different implementations to do what you want.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Chuck King

Chuck King

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by JohnRice 

FileMaker Pro is a remarkable app, but more than a little overkill for contact management.  There is a scaled back version (I forget the name) that may be just perfect.

Bento

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,277 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 08:03 AM

Filemaker really is just a level database; it's not pre-built to do contact management.   I'm sure I could write something within FMPro to do this, but it seems preposterous, and it would be a huge shift from her use of ACT! 5.. and it would mean she'd have to maintain two, as there is no way to import from ACT! to Filemaker..   I may be at a dead end here.
trakt.tv

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,649 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted April 27 2011 - 03:08 AM

Though you've said this is not a good solution... New Mac + Parallels + Win7 + Necessary App solves these thorny problems. My wife and I decided that our desires to use Macs and also to use powerful home-finance software required us to spend the money for that setup to upgrade to Quicken 2011. Hopefully you can find what you need, that runs on a G5. But if the desire to stay with a certain kind of software outweighs cost concerns...

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,984 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted April 27 2011 - 06:28 AM

Possibly of interest, tho I havent used Contactizer: http://maclegion.com/?a=df

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users