What's new

Multiple speaker conection issue (1 Viewer)

Mrctown216

Auditioning
Real Name
jon
Hi All Well Here The Deal Im Doing A Home Theater Setup And Recently I Built A Computer From The Ground Up Just For This And Also Got New HDTV 55in. And Now I Just Got New Shelf Stereo System Total Power 560watts And I Hooked It To My Pc And Boy It Sound Like Im In A Real Movie Theater ! And Now I Want To Hook Up Second Pair For Total Surround Sound Now Mind You I Brought Second Pair Of Speakers That Are Exactly The Same Az Ones Came With The System And The Shelf System Only Has 2 Speaker Output So How Do I Connect All 4????

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Hello Jon,

Welcome to the forum.

Would you be so kind to use a more normal, less irritating layout of your sentences here from now on?

Thanks!

Cees

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
You aren't kidding Cees, that was annoying to try and decypher.

The correct way to do add two speakers is to connect them in series. LeftRcvr+ to LeftSpkr+, LeftRcvr- to NewSpkr+, NewSpkr- to LeftRcvr-. Repeat on the right side. Be aware that connecting this way will increase the resistance which will decrease the volume. However, the alternative, connecting the speakers in parallel, will decrease the resistance which could damage your receiver.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Also keep in mind that while four speakers may create a more immersive experience, you're not getting any sort of "surround" experience. You've simply got the same stereo sound in front of you and behind you.

Since you've already got four speakers, I suggest scraping up a little money, and buying a fifth speaker and a surround receiver. A 5.1 digital surround system is substantially better than a doubled stereo system for movies, TV, and video games. And for music, a Dolby Pro Logic II can be a very nice listening mode.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
While Dave is correct in his statement that you are only getting stereo only sound even with four speakers, and you would benefit with the addition of 5.1 receiver.

It may not be as simple as adding a center channel to the speakers that you own. You will need to find out the Ohm rating of for 4 speakers and make sure they will match up with the Ohm rating of the receiver. Many shelf all in one systems and most cheap HTib come with speakers that are rated at 4 ohms or less and could cause problems if used with a receiver which is rated 6 ohms and up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks