Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Multiple speaker conection issue

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Mrctown216

Mrctown216

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted April 14 2011 - 11:21 AM

Hi  All   Well   Here  The   Deal  Im  Doing  A   Home  Theater   Setup    And  Recently  I  Built  A  Computer  From The Ground Up  Just  For This  And Also  Got  New  HDTV  55in.  And Now  I Just  Got  New  Shelf  Stereo System   Total  Power  560watts   And   I  Hooked It   To My  Pc  And Boy  It Sound  Like  Im  In  A  Real   Movie  Theater !    And Now  I  Want   To   Hook  Up  Second Pair  For   Total   Surround  Sound   Now  Mind  You   I Brought  Second  Pair  Of Speakers  That  Are Exactly   The Same Az  Ones  Came  With  The System  And  The   Shelf  System  Only Has   2  Speaker  Output  So  How  Do  I Connect All  4????

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,666 posts

Posted April 14 2011 - 11:49 AM

Hello Jon,

Welcome to the forum.

Would you be so kind to use a more normal, less irritating layout of your sentences here from now on?

Thanks!

Cees

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,216 posts

Posted April 14 2011 - 11:32 PM

You aren't kidding Cees, that was annoying to try and decypher.

The correct way to do add two speakers is to connect them in series.  LeftRcvr+ to LeftSpkr+,  LeftRcvr- to NewSpkr+, NewSpkr- to LeftRcvr-.  Repeat on the right side.  Be aware that connecting this way will increase the resistance which will decrease the volume.  However, the alternative, connecting the speakers in parallel, will decrease the resistance which could damage your receiver.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,295 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted April 15 2011 - 04:24 PM

Also keep in mind that while four speakers may create a more immersive experience, you're not getting any sort of "surround" experience. You've simply got the same stereo sound in front of you and behind you.

Since you've already got four speakers, I suggest scraping up a little money, and buying a fifth speaker and a surround receiver. A 5.1 digital surround system is substantially better than a doubled stereo system for movies, TV, and video games. And for music, a Dolby Pro Logic II can be a very nice listening mode.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   CB750

CB750

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted April 16 2011 - 07:36 AM

While Dave is correct in his statement that you are only getting stereo only sound even with four speakers, and you would benefit with the addition of 5.1 receiver. 

It may not be as simple as adding a center channel to the speakers that you own.   You will need to find out the Ohm rating of for 4 speakers and make sure they will match up with the Ohm rating of the receiver.  Many shelf all in one systems and most cheap HTib come with speakers that are rated at 4 ohms or less and could cause problems if used with a receiver which is rated 6 ohms and up.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,295 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted April 16 2011 - 09:08 AM

Good point. I missed that it was an all-in-one system.