What's new

Nintendo HD console in 2012 ("Wii U") (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
News is coming out about Nintendo's next console, with details to emerge at E3 in June.
"Nintendo is doing this one right," said an anonymous source. "[It's] not a gimmick like the Wii." What else, beyond graphics, this may imply about the system is unknown. What kind of controls the system will support (we imagine a need for both classic analog configurations and motion controllers) or what level of software and infrastructure Nintendo will provide for online gaming is also unknown. However, it's a positive sign that the system might be more than just an HD Wii.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/04/14/new-nintendo-console-at-e3.aspx

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Me also. By then, I'll have had my Wii about three years, so I won't feel burned. As I said in my Wii 2 thread, I think being able to have all of the cool Nintendo first party titles while also having the ability to play the exact same third party titles as everyone else is a good thing. "I'm going to finish Mario and then I can start on the new Red Dead game." :tu:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Everyone was going crazy over the Wii because of motion controls, now everyone is going to go crazy over this console because it won't be based on motion controls. That's kind of funny to me.

I have gotten my money's worth out of every Nintendo console I've owned so I'm looking forward to whatever they want to make.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm not so sure it won't have motion controls, but the option to have standard controls is a win for everyone.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The console is apparently code-named "Project Cafe," and the rumor reports are that it will have a dual-analog controller with standard face and shoulder buttons, plus a 6" touchscreen. Weird.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, part of the rumor on the controller is that it can double as the sensor bar that the Wii uses. I'm guessing that it will have the IR LEDs across the top of it so that you can put it down in front of your TV and then use the Wii remote to play games. (The idea being to use last-gen's controller for last-gen's games, like using GameCube controllers with the Wii.)

It supposedly also has motion control that is more accurate than the PS Move. I'm interested to see if this is using the same controller (the dual-stick, touch screen one) or a different controller. Maybe the touch screen controller comes apart to be different miniature controllers?

davesmith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Smith
I think they may allow for the 3DS to be used as a controller, possibly alowing for augmented reality from the Wii game to the 3DS controller.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They did something similar with the GBA and GameCube. It's disappointing they never did that with the DS. It's probably because you needed to buy a stupid cable to do it and only like 3 games used it. I could see them having 3DS functionality.

davesmith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Smith
just think of having to use augmented reality on areas of a full game. For example to open a locked door with a lock picking minigame or to open an item chest. not sure if it could be done but itd be pretty cool, and fit with Nintendos 'fun casual gamer' idea.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
A lot of new info (treat as rumors for now):

According to sources with knowledge of the project, Nintendo's next console could have a retail cost of anywhere between $350 and $400, and will ship from Taiwanese manufacturer, Foxconn, this October, putting the earliest possible retail release anywhere between mid-October and early November.

However, Nintendo could also opt to build up a sizable supply of the system and allocate more time for software and games development by launching in early 2012. Similarly, Nintendo could attempt to lower the retail price of the system with lower profit margins to make the price more alluring.

Additionally, IGN has learned that the system will be based on a revamped version of AMD's R700 GPU architecture, not AMD's Fusion technology as previously believed, which will, as previously reported, out perform the PlayStation 3's NVIDIA 7800GTX-based processor. Like the Xbox 360, the system's CPU will be a custom-built triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset, but the clocking speeds will be faster. The system will support 1080p output with the potential for stereoscopic 3D as well, though it has not been determined whether that will be a staple feature.

In terms of the design of the console itself, the overall size will be comparable to that of the original Xbox 360 and the system is likely to resemble a modernized version of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES).

Finally, Nintendo is considering naming the console Stream, though it is potentially one of several names currently being vetted by the company.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1163362p1.html

Its main controller, as rumored, will include a touchscreen, two analog sticks and a camera, we've confirmed with our own games industry sources who are familiar with Nintendo's plans for the machine.

That new controller's screen will measure 6.2 inches and the controller will also include eight buttons. It won't necessarily be, however, the controller that every Wii 2 gamer uses. It isn't even being positioned as a replacement for the famous Wii Remote.

The new Nintendo console, which some have been referring to as Project Café, will also support Nintendo Wii remote-style controllers.

We're not clear on whether the new console will simply use the current Wii remote tech or if Nintendo will offer a remote that improves upon the already-improved and more motion-sensitive Wii Remote Plus that launched last year.

What we are clear on is that Nintendo intends for many games on its new console to be controlled with the same kind of arm-swinging and controller tilting made capable by the Wii Remote. Think of it this way, hypothetically speaking: a new Wii Sports could use the Remote; a new Zelda could use the screen-based twin-stick controller.

The more intriguing option, which we've been hearing in bits and pieces from our sources since last week is that two people playing a Café/Wii 2 game could be using different types of controllers. One could operate the Remote; the other use the more traditional twin-sticks of the screen controller.

http://kotaku.com/#!5794424/fresh-details-of-wii-2s-unusual-controller-and-why-it-wont-kill-the-wii-remote

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The rumor is that 6.2" screen will provide a private rendering of the action from the perspective of the character for the player OR other information the gamemaker wants. I have to admit, as a concept, that is potentially freakishly cool. Forget split screen or multi-screen, if I can see a view of the field that only I have... bwahahahahah :)

Oh wait, didn't realize I was behind you? :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It could also lead to custom virtual buttons for games. Kind of like a screen version of the old Intellivision/Coleco sticks with overlays that could be assigned to whatever. Maybe the screen will be multi-touch and capacitive. Probably not. Probably not a big deal.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Wait a minute. . .their last console was named "Wii" and the new one might be named "Stream?" What's the next one going to be, "Sploosh?"

A controller screen could be cool for some things, but generally speaking it seems like a big item for limited utility. Remember the Dreamcast controllers with the GameBoy-like removable mini-screens?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Any time Nintendo changes the control method for a system, I'm down to try it out. Sure, you can make the graphics prettier as much as you want, but not changing your controller design is absolutely going to hinder creativity for any console.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Nintendo was ahead of the curve with the Dpad, the rumble pack, the analog stick, and the motion controller, all of which are still standard in console controllers (the bean shaped button is lost in the mists of time, however). I don't know how they make these new control schemes work, but they do. So whatever they have up their sleeves for the next system will probably become industry standard a few months after being pooh-poohed by Sony and MS.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
April 25, 2011   To whom it may concern: Re: Wii's successor system Nintendo Co., Ltd. has decided to launch in 2012 a system to succeed Wii, which the company has sold 86.01 million units on a consolidated shipment basis between its launch in 2006 and the end of March 2011. We will show a playable model of the new system and announce more specifications at the E3 Expo, which will be held June 7-9, 2011, in Los Angeles. Sales of the new system have not been included in the financial forecasts announced today for the fiscal term ending March 2012.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks