Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Favorite Blu Ray.......With a Lousy Transfer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#1 of 46 OFFLINE   Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted April 12 2011 - 07:27 AM

I am sure this happens with everyone. One of your favorites is announced for hi def release, you wait patiently for the day, spend your hard-earned money and.........Ugh. Not what you expected. Blu Ray is fantastic, but every once in a while, a studio just doesn't seem to care.

For me, that title would have to be Out of Africa. Thanks to Universal, this one could have stayed on DVD. There's not much difference with the blu ray folks. A bit, yes. Not much. It's easy to compare, too, since the DVD version is on the flip side of the blu ray.

Out of Africa's still highly watchable, but I yearn for the day when a proper transfer to hi def will be mastered.

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#2 of 46 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,777 posts

Posted April 12 2011 - 07:55 AM

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

Terribly disappointing.  I was labeled a 'whiner' by a fairly major reviewer for comparing this title to a variety of other catalog titles and finding it (TGBU) wanting in one of the HTF threads dealing with this release of the R1 Blu-ray disc.  There was a thread over at AVS that compared the R1 release against an Italian release with a series of screen captures and the results were heavily in favor of the Italian release.  The level of detail in the Italian release was markedly superior.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#3 of 46 OFFLINE   Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 458 posts

Posted April 12 2011 - 07:56 AM

So would it have to one I bought but didn't realize it was lousy until viewed?  That is hard to say since the internet allows buyers like myself to make better decisions. I can tell you that I *was* all geared up for the Back to The Future set but then canceled it after the reviews came in. Another one from Universal, incidentally. Same is true for the Lord of The Rings set....although, even if the transfer quality was great, I think I still would have held out for the ext. cuts.

There's also another approach-- a Blu-Ray you had to have and knew it was bad but bought it anyway. For me, that was "The Last Starfighter". I already had it on HD-DVD but wanted the Blu-Ray for the extras. And, what do you know...*another* Universal title. Ohhhh Universal......

Originally Posted by Cinescott 

I am sure this happens with everyone. One of your favorites is announced for hi def release, you wait patiently for the day, spend your hard-earned money and.........Ugh. Not what you expected. Blu Ray is fantastic, but every once in a while, a studio just doesn't seem to care.

For me, that title would have to be Out of Africa. Thanks to Universal, this one could have stayed on DVD. There's not much difference with the blu ray folks. A bit, yes. Not much. It's easy to compare, too, since the DVD version is on the flip side of the blu ray.

Out of Africa's still highly watchable, but I yearn for the day when a proper transfer to hi def will be mastered.

#4 of 46 OFFLINE   Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted April 12 2011 - 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff Robertson 

There's also another approach-- a Blu-Ray you had to have and knew it was bad but bought it anyway.

Yes, this is the case for Out of Africa. I knew the transfer would not be the best, but it was worse than I feared. I read the bad image quality reviews, but bought it anyways, since it is on my favorites list. In some cases, I don't agree with online reviews so tend to largely buy titles I know I will enjoy regardless. OOA's reviews were accurate, though. Maybe too kind.

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#5 of 46 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,448 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 12 2011 - 08:26 AM

Count me as another who was extremely disappointed with Out of Africa's Blu-ray release.

#6 of 46 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted April 13 2011 - 09:40 AM

Near Dark.

Thankfully, though, I didn't buy it.

Runners-up: Face-Off and Trading Places, but they don't really count, since I avoided the Blu discs, once I confirmed they were unchanged from the HD DVDs.

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#7 of 46 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,056 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted April 13 2011 - 10:15 AM

Back To The Future. Scream is a close second.

#8 of 46 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,249 posts

Posted April 13 2011 - 11:15 AM

Been waiting for From Dusk Till Dawn which was

recently released with reviews that state it's a pretty

bad transfer.

Now I have to decide whether to pick it up or not.

So, yeah, consider it a favorite with a bad transfer.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#9 of 46 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted April 13 2011 - 12:39 PM

An American Werewolf in London. It has been dvr'd to death. And then it looks like fake grain placed over it.

#10 of 46 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,049 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted April 13 2011 - 02:03 PM

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly here. The only saving grace was that it came as part of the Man with No Name Trilogy set from MGM, with vastly superior transfers of A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More in a Boxing Day sale for $15.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#11 of 46 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted April 15 2011 - 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by eric scott richard 

An American Werewolf in London. It has been dvr'd to death. And then it looks like fake grain placed over it.

Yeah, there's something about An American Werewolf in London release that looks unnatural and digital.

Trading Places was mentioned earlier; too much DNR without a doubt, but for a few brief moments it's as if the DNR was turned off and more film grain and detail was briefly noticeable which teased at how it could have been a solid release.

#12 of 46 OFFLINE   Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 571 posts

Posted April 15 2011 - 07:33 AM

For every splendid blu-ray of a beloved film like "The Ten Commandments" there is a heartbreaking jumble like "Spartacus".  Sometimes you get a pleasant surprise, like "Taras Bulba" and then another what-were-they-thinking like "The Greatest Story Ever Told".  DNR filtering gone mad is a major culprit in many, old technology masters sufficing is another.  More specialized companies, like Kino and Masters of Cinema UK, seem to always do a wonderful job.  So happy with the gorgeous "Pandora and the Flying Dutchman", for example.  Maybe if studios like Universal, MGM and Fox would lease more of their catalogue to these smaller boutique labels, we would see our beloved films treated with greater respect.

#13 of 46 OFFLINE   Geoff_D

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted April 15 2011 - 07:53 AM

Fox's The Longest Day is #1 on my 'meh' list. Forget about Patton, as it's TLD which has the most destructive application of DNR I've yet seen on a major release. Any semblance of texture and vitality and life has been blitzed away. They might as well have released the colourised version, 'cause it wouldn't be much worse than the abomination that's currently on Blu-ray.

#14 of 46 OFFLINE   john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 642 posts

Posted April 15 2011 - 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Geoff_D 

Fox's The Longest Day is #1 on my 'meh' list. Forget about Patton, as it's TLD which has the most destructive application of DNR I've yet seen on a major release. Any semblance of texture and vitality and life has been blitzed away. They might as well have released the colourised version, 'cause it wouldn't be much worse than the abomination that's currently on Blu-ray.

Can only second this.

#15 of 46 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,154 posts

Posted April 16 2011 - 01:36 AM

Dark City. The DNR is so bad in some places that even the individual frames of motion in the film become blurred.

#16 of 46 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,387 posts

Posted April 16 2011 - 06:32 AM

Well I don't like the first two Harry Potter movies on blu, but I only have the first editions that came out in the early days of blu. I haven't seen the special editions that are floating around--they're a bit...pricey. Is the transfer better on those releases?  Anyway, I'm expecting a huge boxed set of all 8 movies, probably in time for Christmas or at least early next year.

#17 of 46 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted April 16 2011 - 07:03 AM

Ethan...just curious...does you copy of the first Harry Potter have the WB logo with the AOL byline? I have the Ultimate Edition and the logo has now been changed.

#18 of 46 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,387 posts

Posted April 16 2011 - 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by eric scott richard 

Ethan...just curious...does you copy of the first Harry Potter have the WB logo with the AOL byline? I have the Ultimate Edition and the logo has now been changed.

No it just has the regular WB shield. This blu is old though--I think it's actually the first bluray disc I ever purchased. I don't like it because it's hardly even in hi-def--it's definitely a port of the older dvd version but it doesn't look like much of an upgrade whatsoever.

#19 of 46 OFFLINE   Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted April 16 2011 - 10:29 AM

Also, quite probably the worst transfer of a decent film I have ever seen: Leaving Las Vegas. A Best Buy exclusive that is a complete abomination. Awful contrast, bad color timing, washed out, grain galore. I could go on.

#20 of 46 OFFLINE   Jonny P

Jonny P

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted April 16 2011 - 02:38 PM

The Bourne movies (all three).

Maybe it is just a general issue with Universal's "catalog" titles, but each of these left me fairly underwhelmed when comparing them to their DVD counterparts. They looked alright, but they didn't look as good as they could have looked.

And I would concur on the "Back to the Future" trilogy.