Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Where is Lawrence of Arabia? Anyone Know?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted April 12 2011 - 06:17 AM

This title's been on my wish list since the advent of Blu-Ray. I remember seeing it on the preview promos for other Columbia titles as far back as 2007, but still no Lawrence? What gives? One of the best movies of all time and my personal favorite.

LOA went through a massive restoration in the late 80s, so why no hi def version?

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#2 of 5 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,063 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 12 2011 - 06:34 AM

As far as I've been able to determine, It's being prepped for a 2012 release, probably around the holidays.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 5 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,423 posts

Posted April 12 2011 - 06:47 AM

2012 is the 50th Anniversary of  "Lawrence of Arabia"

Sony is probably going to issue a deluxe box set to capitalize on this. "Lawrence" is one of their highest rated films and among their top ten classics (if not number one)

I wouldn't expect it any time before 2012 (unless Sony decides to release it in December to get a jump start on the whole 50th Anniversary year - which they might do - unlike the Ben Hur box set celebrating it's 50th)

Posted Image Of course, they could end up (like WB and Ben Hur) and release it two years late

#4 of 5 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,510 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted December 19 2011 - 12:28 PM

So Blu-ray.com announced that the UK Blu-ray release of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA will be release over there in June 4, 2012.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7922

Looks like it will be a good 2012 for classic titles.  Posted Image

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#5 of 5 kenNew

kenNew

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted December 20 2011 - 03:49 AM

At my age I shouldn't be wishing my life away but I hope the next six months passes quickly. Can't wait for this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users